what do i do with this applecare package?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by student_trap, Mar 1, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey, just had a quick question...

in january i bought a mbp using my edu discount and bought the applecare 'topup' thing that we have here in the uk where you pay and extra for 60 quid for applecare at the same time. now my mbp came with the applecare in a separate jiffy bag, and i assumed that my mac was covered...

do i have to call up and register it?

2. emac82 macrumors 6502

If you are talking about the AppleCare plan, which extends your warranty up to 3 years, it comes with a CD and you have to register in order to give you the 3 years.

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

yeah thats what i am talking about, although i simply don't remember the package saying anything about ringing them up...surely that is a little naughty of apple?

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

why is it naughty?

it's not implied it's covered automatically if you select it, as AppleCare is also an off the shelf option for those within their 12months.

if you have ordered it at the same time, i think it is covered, but there's no harm in ringing the AppleCare number to make sure ;)

5. emac82 macrumors 6502

You don't have to call them. You can go online and enter the enrollment number on the CD. You will have to create an Apple ID if you don't already have one. The CD comes with diagnostic software on it.

6. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the info everyone. I just find it a little odd that i bought the applecare by clicking on it while upgrading my mbp online, i bought it and read the instructions that came in the applecare package, thinking that i may have had to register it, however they were just instructions for the included disc. I assumed therefore that it was covered, and had i not read a comment about registering it in another thread, i wouldn't have asked this question and wouldn't therefore have been covered. my guess is that i probably am covered automatically, because it doesn't seem right that any information telling me to register the product would be omitted.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

are you saying that you weren't in fact covered automatically?

when i bought the powerbook before my MBP, it was registered automatically for the applecare i got it with.

i couldn't confirm to you about the AppleCare for the new MBP, because i could only just afford the laptop :eek:

luckily i graduate soon so i'll be able to buy it :D

8. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

well i am unsure, i assume that it is covered, and i bought them together, but i wanted to check incase i am not. i can see how if they were purchased at different times, then the applecare would need to be registered, but both my mbp and the applecare are on a single invoice

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think there might be some confusion...

The hardware should come with an 'automatic' one-year AppleCare coverage.

But the OP has purchased the additional two years (1 original year + 2 addtional years = '3-year' coverage). This additional AppleCare must be registered by the user/ owner either via the internet, or by calling AppleCare.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

On the US Site, if you buy Apple Care WITH the computer, you are auto-enrolled.

My laptop was purchased in the store - i had to register it myself.

It's probably the same everywhere else, but just call and check!