What do I need for a LCD Monitor to work with a G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DEXTERITY, Sep 26, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    This may be a stupid question, but I never had a LCD Monitor before. Do I need to add anything in particular to my computer in order for it to work (special cables, inputs)?

I have a dual G5 from 2004. I was considering getting a Dell one since I can get a sweet deal on it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    depends on your graphics card. but any thing dvi will/ should work.
  3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure which graphics card I have. I looked under system profiler, but I dont see it (or don't know what i'm looking for). I see my monitor listed.

and I actually do have a LCD monitor (made a mistake), but it's not a Wide Screen so wasn't sure if that made a difference. thanks

does this tell u anything:

Type: display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x4152
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-A13602-121

Type: display
    Display Type: LCD
    VRAM (In Use): 128 MB
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
  4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    For current and many recent Apple LCD displays (ignoring the special case of the 30" display) you will need to identify that you have a DVI port on your G5. That is, the middle image on this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86504

If you have an ADC port then you have two options for an LCD monitor: 1) an Apple display from the same vintage that also uses ADC, or 2) any random LCD monitor with a DVI connector plus an ADC to DVI adapter (~$250). (Alternatively you can replace your graphics card with a card that provides a DVI port. This can sometimes be cheaper than the ADC to DVI adapter.)

Hopefully you have a DVI connector since this scenario requires nothing other than a standard LCD monitor.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I believe that all Power Mac G5s have at least one DVI-I port. Some also have an ADC port, while newer ones have a second DVI-I port.
  6. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks everyone for the help and especially for link with the pic. It looks like it will work, sweeeeeeeet.. Thanks again..

do you guys suggest upgrading my video card or should I be fine? I don't plan on doing anything more then I'm already doing (pro tools,etc)..
  7. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    A LCD monitor is no more demanding on the system than a CRT monitor. (Assuming the same color depth and resolution used.) Apart from basic identification information all communication between the computer and the monitor only flows from monitor to computer. Thus, if you are happy with your current video card performance then there is no reason to upgrade.

On the flip side, a graphics card upgrade can often make a system feel more responsive depending on the applications used. If it were me, I probably wouldn't consider a graphics update on a G5 PowerMac just yet unless I was going for a 30" screen that might necessitate a new video card.
  8. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks for the information, appreciate it. I will stick with what I have then and just enjoy the new monitor..