What do I need to connect my Wii

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by earwig999, Jan 2, 2007.

1. earwig999 macrumors newbie

I currently have an ethernet wired network between my eMac (upstairs) and my Mac Mini (downstairs), along with the Xbox 360. These are just plugged into a SiteCom Switch. As the Wii has no ethernet and I don't currently have a wireless router or adapter, what is the easiest and cheapest way to connect the Wii to the internet?

The Wii is upstairs and I don't have an etherent point in my sons room yet either. I have seen USB WiFi dongles but would this work just plugged into the Mac Mini?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Take a look at this MacGuide, assuming the USB dongle is Mac compatible it will be fine, many aren't as most mac's have built in wireless, otherwise a wireless router is probably the cheapest.

3. earwig999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. If I went wireless though would I loose my current wired network? ie. Xbox 360 and eMac upstairs?

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It depends.

With some Wireless routers they can act as a wired router as well as a wireless one. I have a Netgear wireless router, but it has 4 ethernet ports on the back so you can use it as a wired as well, I use both.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

You can only connect your Wii to the Internet by using a Wireless Router and using the Wii's built in WiFi, or by buying the Ethernet kit for the Wii, which comes with a little adapter which plugs into the back of your Wii, allowing you to connect it with ethernet cable.

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

You could also have your macs act as a wireless router. If they are both connected through the ethernet cables than go to

System Preferences
    Sharing
    Internet
    Share your connection from Built in Ethernet
    To Computers Using: Airport

Then on the top right hand corner of you macs screen where you have your wireless stuff, create a network. This should work. You should see your network in the Wii's menu.

Edit: This does require your Macs to be on in order for the wireless to work.

7. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

you can connect the wii to your mac?! too pimp!

8. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Sort of... not really... In essence you can connect it to your network which is like connecting it.