What do I need to do to get my gray plastic/skin replaced?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ID008, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ID008 macrumors newbie

The plastic skin that goes around the keyboard and monitor edges is either coming off or discolored(different grey tone on palm rest areas). Do I take it to the Apple store or should I contact Apple via phone and let them know about it and then I ship it to them?

This is the first Mac I've owned in YEARS(since 1995) and I like it for the most part except I feel the word processors seem to be lacking in features compared to Microsoft Word on the PC.

Someone clue me in on how I would go about getting this fixed. I've built my own PCs and never had any kind of issues except for the constant need to do maintanance on them(aka check for spyware, malware, viruses, defragment, etc).

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of Mac is it? FWIW, I use Microsoft Office (including Word) for Mac and find it far superior to the Windows editions. All versions are reasonably compatible too. What are you using? :)

3. ID008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought only the MacBook's had that greyish skin plastic on top of them. I've never since another Mac with them so that is what I have.:confused:

I guess I'm going to call Apple this weekend and see what they say since nobody seems to know.:confused:

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

iBooks, and every PowerBook ever made before the PowerBook G4 were made of plastic colored to some degree of grey.

If you have a discolored MacBook, you should contact AppleCare. MacBook discoloration was an issue earlier this year with the first release.