What do I need to network an ibook & Pc w/Airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dr_fate, Nov 23, 2003.

1. dr_fate macrumors member

Ok, let me just say I've never networked two computers in my life, So if this is a simple matter please excuse my ignorance.

I haven't given much thought to getting an Airport extreme station and card with my ibook until recently. The thought of sitting on my front porch and surfing the net wirelessly now excites me. Basically all I want to do is have an ibook hooked up wirelessly and have a pc desktop hooked up regularly to my dsl modem. All I use to get on the net now is a PCI network card in the desktop and an ethernet cable that runs to my dsl modem.

Is it possible to plug my desktop into the airport hub without an airport extreme card and be able to connect to the internet while the ibook is connected to the airport extreme hub wirelessly. How does one go about doing this? Do you have to buy anything extra or is it as simple as plugging the desktop into the airport hub?

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

You're right

With the Airport Extreme Base Station, you can network your wired PC and use the wireless for your iBook... Check out http://www.apple.com/airport/specs.html and you'll see it there.

Good luck!

cpjakes

3. dr_fate thread starter macrumors member

Oh wow, Thanks a bunch, that was exactly what I needed to know! For some reason I hadn't come across that particular page at the apple website. I kept clicking on the wireless tab under the new g4 ibooks to take me to the airport section... Should've went straight there. DUH! Thanks so much, this will do perfectly. Now, all I need is to finish saving up my money and I'm good to go!

4. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

try a different router other than the airport base station, its the most expensive and offers the least expandablity and range, check out www.cnet.com for reviews btw any 802.11b/g router will work with ur ibook, linksys makes good routers.. Buffalo and netgear make some cheep routers u might alot look into(like 70-80 dollars) compared to the airport base station adn they will work JUST as well if not better i have a linksys and it works get 4 macs and 2 pcs on it no problem connecting to any of the macs 1 problem connecting to a Dlink wireless card on a Pc but that was aproblem with the Dlink card. Dlink replayced it

my 2 cents
    Pat

5. makingmesick macrumors newbie

I agree. Airport base station is way too expensive. Just get 802.11g router from Dlink or Belkin. You can also use an 802.11b router (these are cheaper). I use a Dlink 802.11b at home and it works great with my 15" powerbook.

check out http://www.newegg.com for some pretty good deals

6. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Chime in:
    You do not require an Airport Extreme base station. You can use an Airport Card in the iBook and a PCI WiFi Card (Dirt Cheap) in the desktop. They will connect and function perfectly with the only exception that the desktop will need to be powered up for access to the internet on the iBook. Might be worth considering.

If you want to use the internet on the iBook without the PC operating then you will need an Access Point/Base Station.

To: makingmesick:
    I have a Ethernet DLink 900AP+ 802.11b Access Point at home, do you know of any software for checking link signal quality or scanning networks???

I am unable to come across one that works on the Mac as all software seems to be for Airport or PCMCIA.

7. makingmesick macrumors newbie

encro:

trying to tap into someone's network?

There is software for PC based stuff, but I don't know of any for Mac. If I come across anything, I'll post it here. Maybe some of the old timers on here can help you with that.

8. encro macrumors 6502

encro

:) nah, I don't have the time to waste doing that.

It's more to actually validate what my box is doing (I added hacked firmware to boost the signal output). All I can see at the moment is the lights blinking at me with no real indicator of whats really going on behind the scenes.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's MacStumbler on VersionTracker, if that's what you're looking for.