What do I need to turn my Powermac into a File Server??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hob, Dec 18, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I was looking around and I realised, "why should I pay someone else for a file server when I have 600GB of storage and a Dual-2GHz Powermac?"

So, I've kind of dabbled with FTP sharing before - but I was dogged with very very slow transfer speeds. An average of about 4kbps, maxing out at about 15kbps.

I'm assuming this is down to my ISP? Does anyone know what good UK ISP's there are with excellent upload speeds? I'm on NTL at the moment, which is obviously consumer oriented...

Also, what kind of server-side stuff should I do? I'd love to be able to set up a webserver? Would that allow me to run my own website? I guess I'd just need to set up a domain?

Cheers!
    Hob

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Not all ISPs will allow you to host your own anything, some even put throttles on the max incoming through put, on some ports. You may have to get a business connection to be able to host, depends on the ISP. You don't have to start with a pay for domain, there is places like no-ip.com and others that give you free domains. For hosting all you need is a copy of 10.X it has Apache built right in. Once you are ready to host we can walk you through more setup.