what do I need to upgrade my G4 yikes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carol5024, Dec 10, 2006.

1. carol5024 macrumors newbie

I just aquired a Power Mac G4 yikes with 350mhz/1gig ram/extra 50gig internal hard drive. I would like to upgrade it for my 11 year old. I currently have a ibook G4 and an iMac G4 connected with the Airport Extreme. I would like to upgrade the yikes to OS X, add a wireless card for the Airport Express and install an internal DVD-RW drive but don't know what is compatable. From what I have read so far, this machine isn't compatible with a lot of things.

Does anyone know If I can use the Sonnet Aria Extreme PCI (802. 11g) card?
    Is there any known problems upgrading this machine to OS 10.4.3?
    What would be a decent DVD-RW drive that is compatible?

thanks

carol

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Because this is the PCI-only "Yikes!" model, I wouldn't recommend putting too much money into it. However, it can make a useful computer.

I recommend going to Other World Computing - they are the best in the best when it comes to buying upgrades.

OWC has an original Apple/Pioneer DVD-RW for $30

According to OWC the Aria Extreme 802.11g does work with your the Yikes! G4.

OSX Tiger should run decently for basic tasks (web/email/MS Word), especially since you have 1GB RAM. The iLife suite will run slowly or not at all because of the CPU, but I don't recommend investing in a CPU upgrade for this machine. You can buy a used Yikes! G4 for less than the CPU upgrade price.

It is possible that you have an AGP Sawtooth - they did sell a 350MHz version of that. If that is the case you could get a reasonably priced CPU upgrade for it.

Good luck!

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with Lord Blackadder, OWC is a great place to go for upgrades for your Power Mac G4. :)

4. carol5024 thread starter macrumors newbie