What do I start programs with?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrianVarick, Mar 26, 2007.

1. BrianVarick macrumors member

Whenever I try to open a program/movie, it asks what program i want to use to open the thing with, and i never know what to use. Is there a way to just set it so it chooses the program for me?

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

if you have a file type that doesn't have a defaulted application set you can do the following to set it.

Get the info of the file.
    Then in the info window use the arrow to display the options for "Open with:" if they aren't displayed already.
    Then select an application with the pull down.
    Hit change all button to default all files with that type (like .avi) with the application you selected.

Attached Files:

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds like you are asking about opening a file, not a program.

You can set either the specific file or all files like it to open to a particular program.

Select the file, then either go to "File->Get Info", or type "cmd-I".

About 2/3's way down there is a "Open with:" section. Select the application you want to automatically run. If you want all files of this type to open with that app, click "Change All..."

A shortcut to set application is to right-click (or ctrl-click), then hold down the option key. You will see "Open With" change to "Always Open With".

Hope this helps.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

by the way, when people say the command key, or cmd, they mean the apple key on the keyboard, in case you're new to macs.

5. BrianVarick thread starter macrumors member

I know how to choose a program, I just don't know what program to use. I just want it to find the right program and open the file for me.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

What kinds of files are you having this problem with?

7. BrianVarick thread starter macrumors member

some video's I download won't be opened with quicktime, but right now I'm trying to open a program that's on a cd, and it recognizes the cd, but when I try to open the program, it asks for something to start it with.

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Does this program end with the extension .exe ? If so, then that's a windows-only program and you just need to find the mac version of the program or an alternative program that does the same thing. What's the name of the program you're trying to start?

p.s. for video files, forget about quicktime, just use the free video player called VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You can expand Quicktime's usefulness to support other formats...there is Flip4Mac for windows media files, Perian for a lot of other files. Once you install those, Quicktime will be able to open many types of files it doesn't now. Realplayer for mac would also be useful, in case you come across that file type. The VLC player mention above is another good alternative.