What do the Macrumors folk like to use to play their music loud?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sundance Kid, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

So i'm looking for a good set of speakers i can hook up to my ipod, or pb. i'm going to spend no more than 450can for them. Any suggestions? These have to be loud, as i plan to use them for parties.

I saw the Klipshe ones:

'Klipsch iFi

In tune with the way people enjoy their favorite music today, Klipsch designed the iFi system to make the popular Apple iPod experience sound better than ever. Compatible with all iPod models. iPod Shuffle can be played through the mini jack.

Price: $499.00'

They look pretty good, although a tad expensive.... but i have a rather refined musical ear lol. I got used to my MDR-V700 Sony head phones lol...

So what do you guys recommend? What do the Macrumors folk like to use to play music loud?

2. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have a pair of Fisher speakers I found on the side of a road, and they are amazing!!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a set of Creature IIs, but since you are willing to spend more.....

your best bet may be to find a good receiver, and hook that up to your pb/ipod and get some rocking shelf speakers.... i know if i could afford it, had the room, and the desire that would be the best solution, plus it could work out well and possibly hook it up to your TV as well

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is what I do...well, floor-standing speakers at the moment, but yes. That price range is a little tight for a good receiver (usually about $300US, or what you're looking to spend altogether) and speakers. But it can be done, probably. I personally wouldn't really trust any "made for iPod" solutions.... :rolleyes:

There used to be an amazing audiophiles webpage, that listed recommendations at each price point for speakers, receivers, etc... I don't know what happened to it, though.

5. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

What would be good about having recievers? wouldn't it be the same quality if i just were to connect my laptop to the speakers directly?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehehehehehehehehe...no, no, my friend. No, no.

Speakers are like... hmmm...what's a good analogy? If you have a poor photograph, and you blow it up to poster size, the larger it gets, the more obvious the flaws in it will be, right? So the larger you want the copy, the better the original has to be, so you can blow it up and it will still look good. Speakers are the same way. The louder you want your music, and the more definition you have, you need a good amplifier upstream. The receiver is a very underestimated important part of a good audio setup. The amplifiers built into those computer speakers really can't compete with dedicated receivers.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

couldn't have put it better myself, and not to mention that they are often times more versatile as well as extremely long lasting

8. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

aha! i understand completely. I should probably start shopping for audio stuff if i'm going to get a good deal on a receiver..... bah! this is getting to be a lot of money!

lol i just thought that instead of getting speakers i could just get a really good receiver.... although that wouldn't do me any good :)

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

For Computer: Bose Companion 2
    For Home Theater: Bose + Boston Acoustics Sound System
    Kitchen: Bose Wave Radio (non slot load)
    Outside: Bose Outdoor Speakers powered by HK reciever & CD player

In SUV: Harmon Kardon
    In other SUV: Harmon Kardon
    in other other car: I have no idea

10. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Have you tried hooking your ipod up to your home theatre system?

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

12. Heath macrumors regular

Stay away from Bose

Stay far away.
    Bose is a great marketing company that happens to sell mediocre speakers.

Head over to some decent audio/video forums and do some research before plunking down your cash, your ears will thank you :)

13. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

actually i had a recent, albeit bad experience with bose.... coincidence?

I was shopping for really good headphones, and i saw these guys: Bose Triport headphones... i did some research, and most people found they were good... but when i actually took them home, i was amazed that my ipod earbuds sounded better! what a waste of time... and luckily i could return them lol

here they are:

Attached Files:

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Speaking of headphones ... Grado SR-80's. I like them.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, but there's something to be said for not being a gear weenie too. :eek: That is... your ambition for good sound can lead your budget to spiral out of control, and not necessarily make you any happier. I remember a few years ago that NYT ran an article about audiophiles, quoting several people who owned $50,000 stereos and wanted to upgrade because of dissatisfaction with the quality. Don't be that person, for your own sake. :(

So you could consider:

- used component system or home theater hardware - can get amazing deals, although probably locally, because the speakers are a pain to ship. The home theater systems that use satellites have a lot of the same issues that PC speakers do, but depending on your musical tastes, they can be okay. I've never particularly been impressed by opera coming out of them, but they can be very good at pop music.

- Get something like Creatures or another setup designed for PCs, if the volume capability and quality are satisfactory to you, and just put big audio out of your mind for now, and get back to enjoying music.

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Easy fix just get yourself a NHT Xd DSP-Corrected Active Loud Speaker System - done :)

http://nhtxd.com/

17. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I have Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 speakers. They are just perfect. However since you are willing throw abit more money at sounds, consider a 5.1 system, or higher.

Altec Lansing is a quality brand, as is Harmon Kardon and Bose.

Bose would probably be the best their, they have tiny speakers that are able to produce beautiful sounds, how they do it is a miracle.

JBL is alright but a bit cheap.

18. resm macrumors 6502

awsome sound and great looks

I just bought myself a Mac Mini with a set of Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers.
    The sound is amazing and here (Singapore) they come in ALL WHITE with a small remote controll.

The best speakers for computers, that have a better sound than some living room speakers and they cost me only S$ 209.-

The looks attracted me and the sound convinced me.

19. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

20. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

If you want good sound from your computer, make sure your not listening to compresed music(mp3, etc...). Believe me, it will drive you crazy.

21. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Hey, remember that the OP wants to play music for an party, not just himself!

First of all how big of an party? We used to have 100-200 people at our house for parties and our stereo setup was: Denon 6.1 receiver, Onkyo 6.1 speakers for the "tv" room, my Boston bookshelf speakers for the "couch" room, and crappy $40 speakers for the front porch.

These Klipsch speakers look decent and this receiver looks like it will be fine for what you are doing, plus you can upgrade speakers later to have 6.1 capabilities. Btw, i hate Best Buy, but there is one near most everyone, hince the links to their products. Go listen to speakers in a local store to get a feel for them. Bring some jazz, some metal, some dance music, etc. to get a feel for how the speakers sound with various types of music.

My personal stereo is a Denon 2.0 stereo receiver 350w x2, running to my Boston floor speakers. They sound great from jazz to death metal to pop to rap to bluegrass. I have heard speakers that sound better, but i dont have $2000+ for them!

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have all my music on my iBook, and use AirTunes to get it to my relatively cheap, but very good, Onkyo TXDS484 surround receiver, which is hooked up to a (15 year old) pair of Pioneer CS-557 speakers (I've added a set of newer Pioneer center and satellite speakers, but don't use them for music). More than good enough to crank up the volume... ;)

23. Poeben macrumors 6502

If I had to choose, I would go with the
    BeoLab 5's.

24. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Thanks for the help guys! It's a 'medium sized room' i have downstairs :) (sorry i don't have specifications). Hmmm.... I could go with either bookshelf speakers or floor speakers.... I checked out the websites you gave me lol. The BeoLab 5's are awesome! though they look a bit out of my price range. I should head down to a A&B Sound when i get home (i'm on vacation) and check out what they have. Seems like getting a receiver is a must.

Yeah... i'm going to be playing music from my collection on my computer... AAC, MP3. Since the quality isn't going to be that good, am i really going to be able to hear a huge difference? With the stereo sysytem i have upstairs, i use my ipod with my itrip, and it works ok.... What do you guys think?

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Waaaaah.... I always liked NHT, but those speakers are sooooooo pretty!

[​IMG]