What do the Powerbook updates mean for a new iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I'm thinking an updated iMac G5 will now get at least 512MB of base RAM, an 8X DVD±RW/CD-RW Superdrive and an option for 128MB of video RAM at least in the 20" model.

What do you think? This would make sense wouldn't it?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You would think, but not necessarily. We will probably see the upgraded SuperDrive in the next iMac revision, and hopefully 512mb of RAM... But don't be surprised if we don't see the 128mb of video RAM especially. The PowerBook is still supposed to be a higher-end computer than the iMac.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I think the PowerMac would almost have to get 512MB minimum in all models first. Although if the PowerMac update was going to be only a week or two after the iMac update, they might increase the base RAM in the iMac first.

I hope that in about 6 months time all Macs have a 512MB minimum memory. (Basically enough time for all the products to have updates.)

4. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

But isn't that the biggest complaint with the current iMac? I think Apple would very dumb to not have at least 128MB of video RAM in the 20" model.

5. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

But aren't Powermacs pretty much due for a revision now, or soon? I see PM bumps by at the latest Feb-March and I think all will have a base RAM of 512MB.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Of course one of the differences between the iMac/iBook and the PowerMac/PowerBook lines is that the latter support dual displays while the former only support video mirroring. (Yes, I know there are hacks for the iMac/iBook line to support dual displays, but I'm tlalking about the official support.)

7. Bear macrumors G3

Being due for a revision and getting one are two different things. I suspect you're right, but then again the iMacs are due for a revision soon. So order of release could make a difference as to what the iMac line sees for updates.

I'm pro'ly ordering a new PowerMac when the next updates are announced, but it also depends on the rumors at that point.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This makes sense only if the PowerMacs aren't in the way of this happening. Right now, they are (not all PowerMacs come with 512 MB of standard RAM or a 128 MB video card).

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that the updated PowerBook will have much of an effect on the iMac. Since the iMac was updated August 31, now at the 5 month mark. So maybe we can expect something around WWDC.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i think the new imac will have bluetooth 2.0, 8xsuperdrive +-R, 512MB and most likely a better graphics card. the 9600XT is only $50 for the PMs so it should be affordable in the imac. i expect the imac for the same price to get $200 in addinional features + a cpu speed bumb. that is the critical point. it will be where the low end PMs are. that could be either 2.0 GHz or even 2.3GHz if IBM gets production under control.