what do these iPod updaters do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spb, Sep 24, 2005.

1. spb macrumors member

spb

ok so maybe a dumb question and i'm sorry, i've just seen that a new iPod updater is available. But what do these updates do? where can i get them? should i get them?

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

These updaters modify the firmware of selected iPods. For example, the most recent updater only affects the Shuffle. It apparently provides bug fixes. :)

The updater can be downloaded from either Apple's iPod page or from Software Updater.

You obviously don't need them if they don't specifically affect your iPod(s). For example, the last three or four haven't changed my 4G iPod at all. For the record, I still downloaded the latest updaters, simply because I may as well. :p

3. robcts macrumors regular

I always update them as well, even if I have no need to. Better to be safe than sorry :p

4. emutree macrumors member

I LOVED the iPod shuffle update to 1.1. When I first got my shuffle there was a loud squeaking noise in between tracks and when they were paused, and even though I got used to 1.1 muffled it to a barely audible level. It also added for the shuffle to pause when the headphones got unplugged, which had happened a couple of times while running with it, and made me wish it had exactly that feature. And it did a better job at resuming from the same spot I turned it off at when I turned it back on later. I was really happy with that update because I didn't figure the shuffle could really have anything like that added to it just through software.
    I haven't been able to install 1.2 yet but I hope it brings similarly good improvements.