What do they do with the machines they update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Foggy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Just curious, but when I have been on the Apple store after they have updated a product line it seems they remove the old product (fair enough really) and am just curious as to what they do with the old stock?

Surely they cant get it timed right so that they entirely clear out their stock piles of the old machines, and I have never seen somewhere you can get the old models, so what do they do with them? Have always wondered if they sell them through the 'refurb' store.

2. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I know that some of the stores near where I live sell discontinued lines still. I can still get a new ibook G4 and there are some powerbooks and other machines still for sale. Not sure if they sell them through the refurb site though.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Some refurbs do look suspiciously pristine. Apple will also stock some machines as warranty and lease replacements, and once in a while old Apple stuff will appear at liquidation outlets.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

My stores here sell the old machines online and their Powermacs are still selling in the store. Funny though that their Quad-core PM's are like 40% more expensive than their new MP ^_^
    I asked them and the store clerk was all: "yeah but you have to remember that many users still buy them for their PPC only apps."
    Well not if you have to pay 40% more for an 'outdated' system to run Adobe CS2!

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Anyone who forks over $4000 for a PPC machine just to run photoshop is either rich, shortsighted, or stupid. CS3 will be out relatively soon, and I'm fairly confident that the UB update will fly on Intel Macs.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why is it necessary to blast someone else's purchase choice? Business use is not consumer use. The business user's goal is not necessarily to be ready to run Leopard or CS3. If a business user plans on running the current versions of the Adobe software, and has sufficient workflow to justify an additional machine, then how do you know that the machine won't generate an adequate return over the amortization period?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW they moved a bunch of iMac G5 and Mac mini's through Costco in the US when those were end of lifed.

B