What do think about iTunes 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GodBless, Sep 25, 2006.

?

What do think about iTunes 7?

1. It's Much Worse than iTunes 6

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. It's Mostly Worse than iTunes 6

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. It's About the Same as iTunes 6

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. It's Mostly Better than iTunes 6

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. It's Much Better than iTunes 6

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Now that we've been using it for a while -- it's time for each of us make a researched conclusion.

Try to be specific about what you like and/or what you don't like.

(Note: I put this poll in a different part of the forum but I want to see if I get different results here.)

2. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Audiobooks...

nice idea, bleeding awful implementation...

Files need to be named .m4b to get in there (what about just using the Audiobook genre?), and then if your 'book has heaps of chapters, it makes a damned mess on your ipod.

Otherwise, its not too bad. Not buying any movies from there though..

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hadn't noticed much difference, to be quite honest. Then again, I don't use it for much more than as the interface for my iPod.

4. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I think iTunes 7 is much worse than iTunes 6 for various reasons -- which can be proved by the following:
    - Buggy Features
    - Various Delays After Selecting Certain Options
    - Ugly Interface
    - Inconsistent Interface
    - Poor Version of CoverFlow (I still use the original Application which is better)
    - No More Search Bar
    - A Store That is Harder to Navigate Through
    - No More Keyboard Shortcut for the Equalizer (although it is listed in the keyboard shortcuts it doesn't work)
    - Ugly Icon

Sad to say there are many, many other poorly modified features and problems. :(

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I like it but I like the white "buttons" from iTunes 6 and the icon is ugly.

6. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Be specific -- what good is there to like that outweighs what I mentioned as obvious problematic features?

Specifically what feature (or features) make you like iTunes 7 better than iTunes 6?

7. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Apparently you missed my note on the first post which is as follows:

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Can you be more specific? It's been flawless for me so far.

Haven't noticed any.

I rather like it.

Care to be more specific?

What would you like to see work differently?

Hmmm. This is what prompted my post. What are you talking about? I have a search bar. Works fine. Just like always. It is available in all view modes. I'm a misunderstanding you?

Haven't tried this yet.

I hadn't notived this. That is kind of a dumb feature to drop. Not sure what that is all about. You can, of course, reassign it under System Preferences. That should work easily enough.

Yeah, well I guess not everyone likes blue.

I'm all ears. I really like the new iPod interface for selecting songs, photos, contact info, and iCal events. It works well for me.

Mayeb I'm just jaded by my new 8Gb Nano! Fun toy!!

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

3 reasons, i love it.

even better ipod intergration, new cool interface, and new download manager.

10. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

The album art downloader doesn't quite work right (I had to add a lot manually, even for ripped CDs available for download on the ITMS), but I love the interface and download manager. It's noticeably slower, too.

11. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

You just made my day -- I'm glad at least one person likes it for good reasons that they aren't afraid to talk about. :)

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

For those who only keep their music on the iPod (including me) do not have the option to use the other two new browsing features to go through music.

I do not like how music and podcasts are seperated. Especially when the downloaded podcasts are listed under the podcast scroll down menu. Secondly when I go to delete a podcast, I don't truly know if it has been deleted. I have noticed in my iTunes folders the old podcasts are still there. Even though I deleted them in iTunes.

I liked the aqua scroll bar, not this ugly grey thing. (Don't know the correct terminology)

I was dooped into updating on my G3 Powerbook. iTunes runs very slow on that machine. Takes way to much resources. Powerbook runs at 400mhz and iTunes "requires" 500mhz if I'm not mistaken. Such a shame. :(

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

they moved some buttons around and after i got used to it, its great. And im glad i made your day godbless.

14. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Here's one example (look in the lower righthand corner of this image):
    [​IMG]

Here's one example that you can test yourself: Just try changing your equalizer main volume slider up or down quickly and you'll notice a very obvious delay.

Here is an excerpt that I posted in another thread regarding iTunes: "I personally conclude that it is ugly -- especially the grayish Windows looking oval buttons. Detailed imaging with texture and a natural look (such as reflective buttons) is beautiful (and makes a good looking interface) which is why the brushed metal looks so good. For another example try comparing the new iTunes icon to Safari's icon -- Safari's looks much better because of its high quality details that were thoughtfully put into it."

Just click here. If you need more information on why each minor feature of an interface is so important just ask me and I will explain it to you in full detail.

Full screen, tilting albums, glow, album covers that pop out, letters for scrolling and smooth scrolling -- all of this is part of the CoverFlow Application so why was it necessary for Apple to make their integration worse? Like I said before I still use the original CoverFlow Application instead of iTunes 7 inferior integration.

Yes you are misunderstanding me. The search bar that was part of iTunes 6 and was removed in iTunes 7 offered a lot more than searching because is provided a superior way sorting that iTunes 7 unwelcomely doesn't offer.

More steps is my main complaint but not my only one.

I know and I have done this but my point is that Apple certainly didn't do a good job finalizing and perfecting their modifications to iTunes 6 and the improper documentation of this removed feature is one example.

Refer to my point about the Safari icon compared to the iTunes icon.

I think the interface is dully ugly by my artistic standards but it might be well featured -- I've only seen screenshots such as this one:
    [​IMG].

Maybe so. ;) I've always wanted an iPod but have never gotten around to getting one.

Like I've said in another thread: "I am saddened by this release. This is the worst piece of Apple software since prior to Jaguar. (And I thought Pages was bad.)" :(

Here's hoping Apple has a comeback. :)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're still not being very specific. "A superior way (of) sorting that iTunes 7 unwelcomely doesn't offer" isn't specific. You didn't even answer the question.

Personally, I don't like or dislike this version of iTunes anymore than the last version. It's different, but it's not going to annoy me much.

16. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I love the new iTunes. I like how you can scroll through your must by artwork. Unless thats a feature I never figured out how to find in previous versions?

17. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

So modest you are.

18. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

1- The views are nice and there the classic view is still availiable.
    2- Its more organized.
    3- Its easier to change iPod setting espically on the PC version (edit - preferecnces was not a likely place for people to look)
    4- Your videos arent mixed in with all your music so a video wont start playing if you have it on random.
    5- Its easier to defferiantiate the different ablums. (In view #2)
    6- The store is better because it is based on Music and Movies now instead of having to navigate to the different pages. (You're just not used to the new store yet)

Why do you need the search bar when everything is already sorted up into the items that the search bar had? You dont need it and iTunes is smart enough to search by the artist, song, album, etc at the same time so if you type it in properly it will be fine.

[​IMG]

19. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

That happened to me in iTunes 6 too.

20. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Looks good, works great (for the most part). The new features and the new look make this by far one of the best iTunes revisions yet. This is as big of a jump as iTunes 4 was. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more elements similar to the new iTunes finding their way into 10.5.

21. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Just tell me to uninstall iTunes 7 and reinstall iTunes 6.

How? More features doesn't mean more organized. Usually less is more when it comes to organization. The fundamentals were there in iTunes 6, in iTunes 7 poor features were added.

I don't have an iPod so I can't argue with you there since I haven't played around with this.

That's what the search bar was good for -- read the rest of my response below for more on the search bar.

Browsing does the same thing only faster and gives more efficiency and flexibility regarding how the albums are sorted and which ones are visible. View 2 is bloat-ware and is only there for those who don't know how to use iTunes awesome browsing feature. Trust me, ignorance isn't bliss. At least browsing wasn't removed from iTunes -- thank goodness! :eek:

I browse several parts of the store at least once a day on average and am familiar with the old layout and the new layout and what used to take one click to get to a specified music section now takes two clicks from the home page of the store -- this is not good.

The main reason I used the search bar was not to search but to sort. Yes most people are unaware that in iTunes 6 you could have the search bar active at all times even when you didn't type anything in the search box. With that said now you can see why it would be good for sorting -- you can either see all of your content or just your music, just your podcasts, just your audiobooks or just your movies by selecting whatever you want in the search bar. I can't believe that instead of keeping this feature the left-hand column is now more clogged with the same options that once were included in the search bar.

All of this inefficient programming downgrades iTunes 6 to what Apple calls iTunes 7 (strange superior sounding name for a downgrade isn't it?).

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

and what is the deal with this "gapless playback"? is that where the next song begins 5 seconds before the current one ends? If so, I've had that feature since iTunes 4, and after 2 years of it, it's really starting to piss me off.

23. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Gapless playback means that for albums during which consecutive tracks are intended to be seamlessly connected (no pause, no click, no time gap) the songs play *right* after eachother. Think of Pink Floyd or most classical music or a live performance.

What you are thinking of is Crossfade Playback which, indeed, has been around for a long time. You can also turn it off in the iTunes preferences and direct more of your angry energy towards moms (per you signature).

24. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Here is a stuff-up I have seen n iTunes 7

Attached Files: