What do we do with illegal alien children?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Jun 10, 2014.

1. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What do we do about the increase in unaccompanied children crossing our borders? The parents are sending these kids into the United States in hopes that they will be allowed to stay and in some cases the parents may be able to come later.

300 more immigrant children shipped to Arizona

2. macrumors P6

Peace

Send them back to the planet they came from.

Oops !!

Thought you were referring to UFO's.

3. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Im all for legal immigration, but this is out of control. Put them on a bus and bring them back to Mexico. Let them deal with it.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There's a problem... Most of them aren't from Mexico.

5. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

They crossed the border from Mexico. IMO Mexico's problem.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But they are children... One of the kids in this camp is ONE YEAR OLD. No kidding.

7. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, send them back.

8. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can't. Mexico won't take kids that aren't mexican citizens. Really, who could blame them.

Mexico really isn't a problem anymore. Low birthrate, better secondary and tertiary education, steadily growing economy, etc. the problem is Central America.

9. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

so what do you want to do with them?

10. macrumors 603

mrkramer

The short term solution is we need to deport them to wherever their parents are and have them reunited.

If we want a better solution than sending them back whenever they come we would need to reform our immigration laws to make it easier for adults to come and work legally so they don't have to try finding a way to cross illegally or sending their kids across illegally in the hopes that they can come join them later.

11. macrumors 601

That won’t work if children born here are automatically American citizens and their parents live in another country where they won’t accept non-citizens as mentioned above. These kids would essentially be illegal aliens since the governments would see them as Americans.

It’s even harder when we are talking about countries where locating parents after the fact is next to impossible due to many local factors (like geography or poor record keeping of citizens are poor)

12. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Based on the article they are coming over without their parents so it is pretty difficult for them to have been born here, how can you be born somewhere where your parent's aren't?

The issue of illegal immigrants coming over and then having children is a different one, personally I wouldn't mind amending the constitution to make it so at least one parent has to be a US citizen or permanent resident for a baby to get automatic citizenship as that would get rid of one incentive to come illegally. But that would have to be combined with making legal immigration easier so that people can come legally to work.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

These children aren't born in the USA. They are aren't citizens. The parents are sending them across unaccompanied hoping to exploit the way our immigration laws are enforced. If the USA allows the kid to stay, then the parents have an avenue to come here.

14. macrumors 6502a

Forced labor camps and sweat shops. I mean, they're undocumented and and illegally in our country right? Let's take advantage of it! We could bring low cost manufacturing back to the US while creating higher paid supervisory positions for American people. And eventually people won't want to send their kids here to work in crappier conditions than from whence they came! I think it's a win win situation, truthfully.

15. macrumors 603

thekev

This seems like a tough one, especially if you can't even identify their country of origin. We would all be better off if the Central and South American economies were in better shape and more balanced overall. I kind of wonder if politicians have thought about that. Preaching about securing the border is just lip service. They have talked about fences, armed guards, and other methods, yet never mention the logistics.

16. macrumors 68000

VulchR

The only priority should be the welfare of the kids. They should be accepted like any other child in the US and raised properly. When they are an adult they should have to apply for a visa to remain in the US.

17. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What does it say about the state of our border security if children can figure out how to get across?

18. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

With the amount of unfenced/walled space along the Texas border It doesn't surprise me with how easy it is to just walk right in. I've gone down there before and seen fair amount of "unsecured" areas.

Like this.

[​IMG]

In some places this is what the border looks like.

[​IMG]

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Shouldn't securing the border be job one?

20. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

so you haven't told us what YOU think should be done with these kids.......you started the thread, at least you van give us your own opinion on the matter......don't be shy :p

21. macrumors 6502a

We'd have to build the great wall of Texas. That would mean coming up with the money for construction, the money to guards to man the towers, and the money for alligators to fill the moats.

22. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Aside from the fact you can't take kids off the street and give them away, just who is going to raise these already traumatized children "properly," providing them a secure home, food, clothing, education, health care, transportation, spending money, and eventually a four year (or more) university education? And teach them English?

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I think we are going to have to let them stay. I don't think you can deport some of these children if their native country won't take them back.

However, I think we've got to stop further incursions of this. I am shocked at the ages of the kids. A long time friend of mine is in law enforcement in Texas. He tells me that they find children as young as five, unaccompanied. In the story that I linked they had a 1-year-old in the group. Now granted that child was not alone. As a parent, I can't imagine sending a child on this kind of trip.

24. macrumors G3

Huntn

Agreed, as a generality it's cowardly to post a question like this and the OP not to volunteer an opinion. Even to say "I don't know". In many cases it's a tactic to encourage others to go on record with an opinion so the OP can remain noncommittal and formulate a counter while not expressing their own opinion. SD is a very opinionated forum participant, so I suspect he has an opinion, but maybe not. If not, that should be stated. :)

They came in over the border with Mexico. This appears to be a new tactic, unaccompanied children. The initial solution I see is to round them up and bus them back. Keep them, what would other countries do?

I don't believe the expense, manning, and upkeep of a 600 mile fence is viable. For illegal adults seeking employment, I believe it would be more effective to put in place an effective employment verification system.

25. macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is the parents are hiring people to bring them across and not just releasing them in the desert and telling them to hike to the US at 1 year old. But either way the border is too long to fully secure and all our efforts so far to secure the border so far have just driven people to cross in more dangerous places and caused more deaths. No matter how secure you make the border people will still come if they are desperate enough, look at the crowded boats of illegal immigrants crossing the Mediterranean to get into the EU, or going to Australia, those cost people their lives fairly often but people still risk it because they are desperate.

Unless you believe that the punishment for trying to cross our borders illegally should be the death penalty we need to get at the root of the problem and work towards solving that. Which that will take a combination of making it easier for workers from poor countries to come to the US legally and working to make conditions better in places like Central America so that people won't be desperate and feel that there is no option but to risk their lives on a dangerous trip across the desert.

Plus we should be wanting more immigrants, almost all of our country was built on immigrants from somewhere (only about 1% of the population is native american). If there ever was anything to the idea of American Exceptionalism it isn't anything to do with the country itself, but with the fact that you had a large number of people here who were willing to take risks to leave their homeland and families to come to a new country. People willing to take a risk like that are probably going to be more willing to take a risk to actually implement whatever next big idea they have. If the US worked to get more people here then we would probably be doing a lot better economically than we are now when a lot of our immigrants have to hide for fear of being deported.