What do we think of this then? (New BMW 1-series coupe)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AlBDamned, Jul 1, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

It's still got that horrible swoopy line along the bottom, but with a boot and the twin turbo engine this little thing could redefine the term "pocket-rocket".

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 603

OutThere

I dig it. If they come to the US I'd totally be in the market for a used one (maybe new if I plan it right) in a few years.

BMW has struggled to get their smaller models right for a while, though from the looks of it this one's been done properly.

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

They are indeed coming to the US. :)

4. macrumors 603

quagmire

Although without the diesels. :(

5. macrumors member

nice looking bimmer....anybody have a gist about US pricing?

6. macrumors 603

quagmire

Rumors are ~$25K for the 128i and somewhere around $30K+ for the 135i.

7. macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ahhhh... a poor man's BMW ;)

8. macrumors 6502

poor man + BMW + twin turbo = me and my face :D everytime I drive somewhere.
    Besides that, is there a release date in stone yet or is it just sometime 2008 maybe but hopefully not 2009 for the US still?

9. macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Will the 135i be available in hatchback guise too? I prefer hatches to coupes...

Not that I can afford one anyway, and in any case only the 3 and 5 series are available in India.

10. macrumors 6502a

Looking at this and the hatchback model I just wonder what took BMW so long before producing something that can compete with the Audi A3 in terms of looks... 3 years late?

11. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Since when is $25k+ something for a poor person? :rolleyes:
    I also want to slap anyone who calls a Boxster a "poor man's Porsche" with a mid-engined roadster (and I don't mean the MR-2 Spyder).

12. macrumors 68040

Killyp

I really like it, although it looks kinda a bit more 'average' at the back than a BMW really should, plus that horrible side-line along the bottom makes it look like the whole side of the car has sagged down...

13. macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that it looks like a nice car- similar to the previous design of the 3 series. Lately, I have been kicking the idea around of buying a new 3 series Coupe/Sedan. :)

14. macrumors Core

iBlue

Or perhaps it's just practical.

I've seen several of them here (UK) and I really like them.

15. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

The styling is an improvement over some of the other BMWs, but still a step down from the previous generation in terms of looks.

I'm not convinced BMW can build a successful car under $30k these days, especially in the face of competition from Volkswagen and the Japanese. Still, it looks to be a better package than the lame 318. But Merc failed with their "cheap" hatchback, so we'll see I guess. The diesel option is missing - why?

Looking at the photos, I still don't like the way the headlights taper to a point on the outside, which gives the car a squinty look. Also, the car pictured is presumably the 135i with the "M appearance package"...which looks nice and aggressive, but what does the base model look like?

16. macrumors 6502

mahashel

So I guess this is another option when I consider upgrading my Jetta 1.8T next year.
    I like the look of the BMW, but wonder how many critical corners were cut in order to keep the price down. Would it really be that much of an upgrade from a higher-end VW or lower-end Audi? (I love my german cars) There are some really nice european cars to compete with in the 25K-30K range.
    I guess I'll just have to test drive one. :D

17. macrumors 6502a

I agree. From the back it reminds me of VW styling, but.... I like VW styling too.

18. macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Wow, seems I'm getting a little heat from my comment, haha :p . I suppose to me the idea reminds me of the 318... was really only a BMW in name only :D

19. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

The 318 - yes, it was a BMW, but it was expensive and it was crap.

The only true "poor man's BMW" is an older used one.

You can't really get a nice cheap German car these days - VWs are climbing over $30k, and are heavy and fat. I think I'd definitely take a GTI over a 128, except I'd very much prefer a RWD car.

20. macrumors newbie

I think its a bad idea. Its just going to degrade the BMW brand. Also, every BMW shares a common styling theme with its distinctive front kidney grill etc., and having a bunch of these low cost models filling the road it would no longer be a cool thing to see BMW driving by... it may end up as another redundantly annoying car on the road that all look the same.

And if you live is Southern California like I do. There are enough of them already.

i.e. if they release the 1-series I may no longer be interested in getting the 3-series convertible.

21. macrumors 6502

daze

Actually, in Canada, you can purchase either the City Jetta/Golf for $14K - 17K Canadian. Check out http://www.vw.ca. Infact, I am seriously thinking of trading in my piece of crap Pontiac Grand Am 2002 which I bought new... and just finished payments on. Sucks.

22. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

News flash - BMWs are pretty numerous already. 9 out of 10 yuppies choose BMW...If you've got $30k to burn, there are other options...Audis are much less common, for example. Or, if you must go BMW, how about a used M3?

23. macrumors 68000

savar

Seriously! $25k is a great deal for any car with a twin turbo... (I can hear the turbos spinning up in my head.)

24. macrumors Core

iBlue

I bet you were one of those people who said "If Bush wins this election, I am moving to Canada." too. ;)

25. macrumors Core

Meh, BMWs are pretty dull cars style wise.
    The only interesting ones they've done in recent years have been the Z4 Coupe M and the M Coupe.

I'm glad some styling cues made it from the X-coupe...