What do you all think of Logitech mx 510?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I am going out to get this mouse today . My friend got it and i tried over his house and fell in love with it. His was red but i think im going to get blue. It has 8 buttons and i think that will be helpful in first person shooters. What do you all think of this mouse?

Logitech mx 510

2. applekid macrumors 68020

By all means, go for it. I have the MX 700 (basically the wireless version of that mouse, but not in those cool colors) and it's a beautiful mouse. What can I say? The MX 900 is the wireless bluetooth version, but that's overkill in my opinion unless you need the advertised 30 ft range (the MX 700 has only 6 ft, I believe). The MX 510 is an excellent choice for a wired mouse.

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I also have the mx 700 cus it has no tail and is great for gaming. I don't like its charger/antena usb/power connector setup though. I'd never have a tailed mouse again.

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Paying that much money for a mouse is too excessive. I just get a $20 optical mouse when I buy one and it works just fine for first person shooters. You don't need to shell out that much $$$ just because it has more buttons. You're performance in a FPS will not magically increase because you've got a cool mouse. Two buttons and a scroll wheel is all you'll ever need.

5. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I have the MX 500, it's a good mouse. I use the forward and back buttons along with the top button quite a bit (I have it set to CMD+H. Very easy to quickly reduce window clutter.) I don't use the cruise buttons terribly often and I haven't setup the mouse for gaming too much other than using the standard two buttons and scroll wheel. It's a great mouse if you want/need the extra buttons. I should really set it up for CoD and BF1942, I'm sure it'd help.

If all you want is good, optical tracking then just get the basic Logitech Optical mouse. I have one of those and it's worked great, too.

6. LoadRunner macrumors member

Great mouse, I think haph the populous of quake3world.com use the logitech mx line of mice. The mx510 has the best optical sensor on the market. If you want to learn why it's such a good optical sensor, check out tom's hardware guide. This mouse will not freak out on odd surfaces. It'll track fast movements, or just a little nudge of the mouse. Making it perfect for close combat, and long distance sniping.

I would recommend USB Over Drive. The logitech mouse man mouse driver sucks. Usb over drive will let you do every thing you want, like binding all 8 buttons, scroll up and scroll down as separate actions. It'll also let you set different levels of mouse sensitivity for different applications, or set the mouse buttons to do different things in different applications. BTW q3a only recognizes up to so many mouse buttons. To use all of the keys, some of the mouse buttons will have to be set to as keyboard keys.

The mx510 is worth worth every dollar. I would recommend binding each weapon to a separate button, and ditch next previews weapon. Sorting through weapons in the middle of battle is just waist time, and make a player an easy target.

7. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Thanks for all your advice guys. I had to order the blue version so i should get in the mail in about 3 days. I had one more question ...do you know if you can map photoshop action keys to the buttons? i work in photoshop alot and it would be kool if i could map my action commands to some of the buttons.

BTW Load runner thanks alot for pointing out USB over drive. That will help with games but i am not sure if this will work with photoshop.

Anyway thank you all for your valued opinions.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Install Logitech's mouse drivers. There's a Logitech Control Center in your System Preferences that you can use to set buttons to certain keys or key combinations. You can't have multiple settings in-app, but you could have one preference file set for Photoshop and another file for your games and just move them and in and out of the Preferences folder.