What do you all think of sherlock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zazaban, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Zazaban macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    Just asking. I like it.
    I use it for traslations because my translator widget broke. also useful for ebay.
  2. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    Is sherlock still a part of Tiger? I have yet to use it in Tiger.
  3. Zazaban thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    yes it's still a part of tiger. i think you have to look it up on spotlight to use it. I put it in my dock.
  4. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    Back in the OS 9 days, I thought Sherlock was the greatest thing ever, when I first used it in my school library about 6 or 7 years ago it gave me a reason to buy my first mac since Quadra 605.

Needless to say, I hate widgets. Bring back Sherlock.

Maybe we should start a petition to bring back Sherlock!
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

Oh yeah, that program that only seemed to work in the US?

I think it's a waste of space.
  6. skibob1027 macrumors member

Feb 8, 2006
    Sherlock never left, just spotlight it and you'll find it.

I'm a new mac user (just switched about 3 months ago), and I discovered Sherlock while I was digging around for new stuff on my iMac. I love it, too! I put it in my dock and use it for movie times and stocks and such - saves on the amount of websites I have to go to.

I really don't use widgets, but to each his own.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's why I rarely used it - and it was usually quicker to go straight to the Web than hunt around in the Apps folder for things like the translator.

Part of the problem was the need for people to set up and maintain the channels I think for some of the more interesting things. Dashboard makes it much easier to get localised widgets.
  8. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I use it for translating. It's a lot faster than the widget.
  9. _Matt macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2005
    Same. The Translation widget is just pathetic. :(
  10. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    Never used Sherlock ever, it's a dinosaur and hopefully will be gone in the next OS.
  11. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2006
    I've always liked it a lot. Unfortunately, it keeps getting less and less useful with different plug-ins dissapearing from time to time. Luckily, though, I usually just use it for translation, and that still works.
  12. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    It's an old, tired app whose days are long since gone. IMO, etc.
  13. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Like others, I use it for translation. I don't know what's up with the translation widget, but it never works properly for me.

I used to use the dictionary feature in Sherlock quite a bit before Tiger's built-in dictionary.

I think it's a cool app that is underrated.
  14. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    Kansas. No, not on a farm.
    I've been using Macs for about one year now, and I knew Sherlock was in Tiger but I didn't know what it did before this post.

I've never used it.
  15. brepublican macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2005
    Don't hate. Congratulate.

I love Sherlock! I use it everyday to check out movies in my area. It has everything, reviews, previews. I also use Acu Weather and the dictionary. It's almost better than Dashboard. Almost :cool:
  16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Sherlock is underutilized but I happen to like it. Whether or not it survives to be part of the next OS is another story, but it serves a purpose and deserves support.
  17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I think that sherlock is the most underestimated part of OS X, even by Apple! They haven't updated it for a long long time. Many people around here see it as a dinosaur. But all I see is potential in that little program. I think that it is feasible to update it to work on Europe too, and implement more things and more search categories. I use it for translation, too.

Too bad Apple seems to have forgotten its existence...
  18. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2002
  19. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    It's in my applications folder but I've never ever opened it. What does it do?
  20. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    I'll second that!

I still use Watson today.

The biggest problem with Sherlock was that it was Carbon and a pain to develop tools for. On the other hand, Watson was Cocoa and was designed to be easy to create tools for.

The idea behind Watson (that Apple never got with sherlock) was that Watson was supposed to be a development environment for creating web services. Rather than making a stand alone web service app (like OmniDictionary for example), you could make a tool that ran within Watson. Because web services scrub information from web sites, and many web sites change their layout regularly, the stand alone application setup requires more work on both the part of the developer and the end user. With Watson (before Sun bought it) when a tool broke, the developer could fix the tool without the application (Watson) itself having to be replaced.

Had Apple understood the true power of Watson... and either bought Watson out right or really made Sherlock in Watson's image, they would have been pushing something like Watson with WebObjects.

The biggest problem with web (browser) based applications is that it is really easy to leave the page you were working in (basically the same reason some companies were so upset when Microsoft made Internet Explorer part of the OS in Windows 98) to go browse the net. But if you developed an interface for your WebObjects app as a tool in Watson, then it feels like you are using an application on your system rather than via a page in a browser.

Will Apple ever get this?. No.

They've moved on to Dashboard. And while building widgets for Dashboard is easier than both Sherlock and Watson, Dashboard widgets don't provide the same type of professional interface as a real app, nor are they as easy to work with for extended periods as real apps.
  21. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Yeah, that is the real story here...in the wake of Dashboard we have Konfabulator, Sherlock and Watson. Progress, eh?
  22. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    There are definitely times when Apple sees a great idea and not only can't improve on it, but shows that they really didn't get the important aspects of the idea.

The whole reason Dashboard isn't as good as Konfabulator is that Apple made it separate from the rest of the user environment... Apparently Apple had never heard of the phrase out of sight, out of mind.

Apple's attempts at matching both Watson and Konfabulator show that the only thing they saw in those two products was the gee-whiz parts and the the parts that made them really special.

... of course we now have Sherlock and Dashboard to compare and contrast with Watson and Konfabulator to show why they really were so special to begin with.
  23. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    it's a waiste of space if you ask me...

but then again, i'm quite unfamiliar with the older os9 oriented stuff...