What do you all think of those cheap iPod knock-offs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wangchunggti337, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2007
    I noticed they now have one that looks and works like the 2G iPod Shuffle. They also have nano ones, of course. I was thinking of picking one up just as a fun toy. Bad idea?
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
  3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I think that companys believe that if they make a cheap knock of something successful that they too, will make lots of money. But they don't because that is not how the world works.
  4. madog macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2004
    Korova Milkbar
    Our FedEx driver came in and showed us his FauxPod and I was actually quite amazed by it. For one, it looked almost identical the Nano but with a larger screen. The dimensions were almost similar, if anything the FauxPod was a little longer but just as skinny. It also had a built in radio tuner, supported video playback and was either 4g or 2gb's, can't remember.

The click wheel looked exactly the same but wasn't able to scroll as with current click wheels. Besides the larger screen, the only major difference was the ugly ass interface.

All of that for the low-low price of $80. He said his friend's mother's uncle's cousin's sister's brother came back from Japan or China with a box of them. Pretty amazing if you ask me. If that thing lasted for just one year it would be far superior in price and average life time than iPods in my opinion.

Also there was no name on the thing. Just some random info on the back of it.
  5. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2007
    Hm, I'm glad to hear there are some good experiences with these. The one I'm looking at looks just like the new nanos. Is that what he had?
  6. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2004
    The cheap iPod knock-off's tend to have better hardware. E.g. pretty much every nano knock-off plays movies. They all have included fm, play lots of video formats, have video out etc. However in my experience, the UI sucks. The menu's are terrible, the device takes ages to boot up and lags when loading songs. Often the knock-off's use buttons rather then touch sensors etc.

Basically the knock-off's can do the more complex functions better then an iPod, but the simpler functions (playing songs, navigating menus) worse then an iPod.
  7. natemonster macrumors member

Mar 15, 2007
    there is no 2gb ipod shuffle.
  8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    He said 2G, as in 2nd Generation.

9. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2007
    haha, they suck

omg LOL those iPods are pieces of crap.

My friend had this iPod video with exact same dimensions, same click wheel, same font, and same screen, only with a radio in it and it only held 8GB via flash memory.

He said he got it for christmas, the price tag was only $159.99 LOL