What do you call the sitting room?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by psychofreak, Jan 8, 2007.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I call mine the sitting room. I have friends who call it the living room. I've heard main room, front room, and even parlour...

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I would say "living room" also, if you mean the room with the fireplace and the TV and the big windows that everyone is in all the time. We also have a family room, but no one even sets foot in that thing anymore (except to get to the kitchen)...hanging out in the family room is like talking during dinner, it's just not done.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm with the "living room" crowd. Our house has a living room with no TV and an unused fireplace (we tried to get the builder to build our house without a fireplace -- we live in the south, for goodness' sake -- but he would have none of it). The living room is where we sit and chat, read, or listen to music.

We have a separate TV room which is mainly used for TV viewing, but also is good for private conversation because it is out of earshot of the kids' rooms.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Perhaps if you defined the characteristics of the "sitting room" it would help.

We have a "Living Room", which has a fireplace, and the dogs aren't allowed in there, so it's a place to relax and have a nice chat with company. Also, the kids aren't allowed to play in there or bring any food in there. It tends to stay neat and orderly for the most part, except when housing the Christmas Tree and subsequent unwrappings as it did not so long ago.

We also have a "Family Room", which contains the TV and is where we tend to hang out as a family for TV, board games, and other fun stuff. It tends to stay a little messier with some toys, the baby's jumper, etc.

6. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

ummm, Livin' Room. This "Sitting Room" you speak of must be the bathroom, I suppose. Learn to speak real English!! :D

7. mac24/7 macrumors newbie

I've always called it a living room, but I have heard people refer it to as a 'lounge' area.... is that posh?!!!!

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My thoughts exactly!

I know some people have a "sitting room" which nobody ever really goes in and is almost a display except when company comes over. I've always detested these kind of rooms. It seems like a waste of space to me.

9. shunpike macrumors regular

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Calling it a lounge is definitely posh...pish-posh that is. :D

12. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

"Frunch-room"...yes, I'm from Chicago.

Also acceptable: sitting-room

Now the room with the tv, where you hang out is called the "den" or "family-room"

13. Queso macrumors G4

We call it the lounge, although it's just part of our lounge/kitchen really.

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Ditto here. :)

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Now calling the den or family room a lounge would be ok, because our family room is where we have an old stereo, a bar and another TV. Much more lounge feeling. So I guess if your living room / sitting room has a stereo and a bar in it, then you could get away with calling it a lounge...but if there is no booze or music, it's just a sitting / living room to me.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My house has a living room and a family room. I never use the living room at all. My family room and my kitchen are barely separated and they're in between the bedrooms and the living room/dining room area.

In the northeastern U.S.A., you'll also hear drawing room because everyone was drawn into that room, I suppose.

17. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Hmm, I thought it was because that's where they drew their tea...but I don't really know.

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

It's either the Lounge or the TV-Room. Sorry, Sitting room just seems funny. BTW I'm South African.

19. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Drawing Room, it's actually an abbreviation of "withdrawing Room" - a room to withdraw to.

KGB

20. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, as I don't have one, I'm never faced with the difficulty of what to call it :(

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

According to our floor plans we have a Living Room and a Great Room. I tend to call them the Living Room (or formal living room) and the Family room. However in recent months we have decided to claim the living room and dining room to be one large repository for the playthings of our much spoiled daughter. So I guess now we have a play room(s) and the Family room.

The Family room has always been what I considered the room with the TV, and other lounging apparatus. Where one goes to unwind and be entertained.

22. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

We have two sitting rooms, I guess. What we call the living room has the piano, a sofa, and soon-to-have bookcases and chairs. The family room has a bigger couch, a chair, our TV, the casual eating table, and our Mac.

23. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

This is similar to how my friend's new house is, with one Great Room that goes from the fireplace and sofas, includes a dining area, then into the open kitchen area. Then downstairs he has what he calls the Family Room where he has the bar, stereo and the piano.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

25. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

It depends on how many one has in their house.

But if its just one I call it a living room.