What do you carry with your PB or iBook when you are on the road or travelling?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YS2003, Sep 5, 2005.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    When I take my 12" PB or 12" iBook, I put it in either Booq bag or Brenthaven Fusion Bag, along with the following accessories: Apple AC adaptor, Airport Express Base Station, retractable ethernet wires, Kensington PocketSpeaker, LaCie Mobile Hard Drive 100 GB, 1 GB compact USB flash dongle, telephone modem cord (the one came with PB), Logitech V500 or Logitech Notebook Wireless Mouse, Targus Cool Pad, Targus notebook desk, portable USB 2 hub, Screensaverz, and iKlear. If I am taking my suitecase, my suitecase already has surge protector with 6 outlets (so that I don't have to worry about the limited wall electric outlet in a hotel), and Targus universal power adaptor (for my PC, with an extra tip, I can use it for my PB/iBook).

I am wondering what other forum members are taking with them along with their PB or iBook.
  2. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Accessories: Nothing but the AC adaptor.

Up until now, put in a normal backpack (often filled with a lot of other non-computer related stuff). When she visited the US, my mother bought me some kind of rocawear bag that seems to be smaller and more suitable for my PB. Haven't had a chance to test it just yet.
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
  4. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    Well I don't have a powerbook, but I just pack the ac adapter with me. On very rare occasions I might pack the ultrabay floppy drive if I know in advance i'll need that for something.
  5. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Couldn't live without an external mouse on the road - I go crazy using the pad for design work (Photoshop, InDesign, etc).
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My PB sleeve, my AC adaptor (and appropriate country plug). If I'm away for a few days, my firewire adaptor to plug my iPod in will come. And I tend to keep up a backup restore disk tucked into the pocket of my sleeve.

Away for more than a week, my iSight might make it too.
  7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica

For going to a client's office in town, or just lugging the 'book around, just the Powerbook, the adapter, and a wireless mouse in an Incase sleeve.

When traveling abroad, I take:
    • iPod
    • iPod FW Cable
    • Headphones
    • 2 USB Keys
    • Restore & Software CDs
    • Sony Clie
    • pens
    • notebooks
    • Worldwide power adapters
    • Rech. AA batteries
    • Portable Battery charger
    • Digital Camera

And maybe a couple of things I'm forgetting :D
  8. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    Reading this I asked myself why do I carry such a small bag...

When I'm travelling with my PowerBook I have:-

- STM Rebound sleeve
    - Power brick and suitable travel adapter
    - iPod
    - Digital camera
    - External HD (with back up)
    - Mobile phone
    - A few blank cd's
    - Sims 2
  9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    I tend to travel fairly light:
    - AC adapter
    - iPod w/ FW and USB cables
    - 5 blank DVD-R (in paper sleeves)
    - 5 blank CD-R (in paper sleeves)
    - Inexpensive Sony earbuds
    - Canon Powershot A95 Digital Camera

I'm hoping to add a bus-powered external HDD to the mix soon, but that's it.

When I'm carrying my Powerbook for on-site video production or something similar, I add this stuff:
    - iCurve
    - Apple Wireless Keyboard
    - Logitech MX900 Mouse
    - 6 External HDDs (300GB, 200GB, 2x 80GB, 2x 40GB)
    - Sony camcorder (model varies)
    - Various USB/FW cables for connectivity
    - Retractable CAT5 w/ RJ11 and RJ45 connectors

I think I covered everything.
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    If possible, I go commando style (nothing). That's what laptops were made for - being able to work purely from the one machine without the need for accessories. Of course, this isn't always possible and sometimes I take my power adaptor too.
  11. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    You guys should think of getting a duffle bag.

I bring my laptop, the AC adaptor and my ADC-SVHS adaptor. That's it. I don't believe in carrying too much stuff. If I'm on long vacations, I'll bring a mousepad and a USB mouse and a firewire drive.
  12. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
  13. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    in my booq XS boa backpack:
    -AC adapter/charger thingie
    -folder w/ assorted papers
    -3 pens
    -thin notebook
    -USB cable for my camera
    -my (now) iBook
  14. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I have a Jansport backpack/briefcase with a generic laptop sleeve. For short (weekend) trips, I take only the iBook, not even an AC adapter. For longer trips, I take the adapter, plus a camera and accompanying USB cable.
  15. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I always carry my power brick and extra battery. Plus my PB is always in its RadTech Sleeve. Sometimes I'll take my mouse but not often. But I got the 12" for portibilty. If I traveled with every accessory under the sun it kind of defeats the purpose of getting such a small laptop, KWIM?
  16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    i bring nothing but my laptop...if i forget to charge my laptop, i'll bring my AC Adapter along..otherwise, its my laptop only...
  17. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
    I carry my Powerbook around in a Tucano sleeve which I got from the Apple store. It also fits in my Crumpler camera bag. which as a pouch for a laptop to fit in.

Attached Files:

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I carry
    the power adapter,
    dust cloth which serves dual purpose as a keyboard cover when closed, 512mb usb key,
    adapter that came with PB for use with a digital projector (i give lots of lectures)
    and occasionally the firewire cord that came with ipod so I can transfer stuff to store on it,
  19. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I take my PowerBook with me to school everyday. I have an Uphill backpack that is my regular school backpack. It has a padded pocket that is just the right size for a PowerBook. I also carry my AC adapter, an ethernet cable, and earbuds. I always have a USB flash drive (512 MB) on my keychain.
  20. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I take:

Power brick
    Logitech notebook mouse
    USB memory stick
    ethernet cable
    iPod (sometimes)
    Brenthaven bag
  21. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Nintendo DS (occasionally)
    Power plug
    Bag of course

thats it
  22. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I usually take my wireless mouse, headphones, and AC adapter.
  23. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    For most trips, I limit it to:
    15" Powerbook
    AC adapter
    +/- Airport Express

If I'm going on vacation & taking the digital camera as well, I'll usually throw the USB card reader in the bag to make transferring pictures a bit easier.

Still trying to figure out the optimal bag for carrying the PB - for short trips to/from office & around town, I use the Booq 15" PowerSleeve, but I'm in the process of looking for a slightly more substantial bag.
  24. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2005
    I just throw my iBook in my backpack. She's usually fully charged in the morning so I don't really need to take the power brick. I'll be getting a foofbag soon, though.. just to protect her from those small exterior scratches.

If I go away for more than just a day I would definitely bring my MX510 and power brick.. heck I'd probably bring my BT keyboard too!
  25. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...the AC adapter, CAT5 and modem cables, and a bootable utility CD or two (Diskwarrior and/or Techtool Pro) and the cable for the iPod so I can recharge it if need be.....oh yeah!