Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Should I use Windex or just water? I don't want to scratch the screen or leave blotchy marks. I think it's a combination of snot (allergies are kicking up) and Mountain Dew (late night school work) that have been caked on the screen this past week. Yeah, I know it sounds gross.

Thanks in advance.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
GregUofMN said:
Should I use Windex or just water? I don't want to scratch the screen or leave blotchy marks. I think it's a combination of snot (allergies are kicking up) and Mountain Dew (late night school work) that have been caked on the screen this past week. Yeah, I know it sounds gross.

Thanks in advance.
i wouldnt clean an lcd with water or windex. yeah, a crt maybe...i use a cd cleaning wipe. it's just a lint-free cloth. very dry, doesnt scratch the screen adn works wonders on fingerprints and such. i get very mad at my laptop screen sometimes...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
GregUofMN said:

Thanks in advance.

Buy a Radtech ScreensavRz cloth.
http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx
It does a fantastic job of cleaning your screen and also reducing the marks made on your display by your keyboard. Lay it on your keyboard when you close it up and it will prevent more marking.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I'm probably just insanely overprotective of my PB (cause I've heard of many people using Windex and paper towel), but the only stuff I'll use is called Monster iClean (it used to be called Monster Screen Clean). It's amazing stuff, as most stuff from Monster (makers of Monster Cable) tends to be. It's more of a gel than a liquid, so when you're cleaning the screen, the chances of liquid getting under the edges and onto the circuitry are basically none. The package comes with it's own lint-free cloth and everything. I think it might be a bit pricey, but one bottle lasts a LONG time. Like years. I know it's available at Best Buy, or on their website (http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2105).

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.