What do you do at your job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gauchogolfer, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

As I was reading through some posts this morning, I was wondering what MacRumors folks do at their jobs. I'm always interested in learning about new fields, and thought this might be a way to get an insight into something I know little or nothing about. Maybe it's too broad of a forum topic to get much knowledge from, but who knows, maybe it'll spread into sub-forums on programming, artistry, science, etc. So, I guess I'll start...

I work for CNRS in France (the national lab system), specifically in Sophia Antipolis (kinda the Silicon Valley of France), as a postdoc researcher in semiconductors. We are interested in wide-bandgap semiconductors like GaN and ZnO for ultraviolet lasers and LEDs, high-power transisitors, and (for me) some cool physics with exciton-photon interaction in a quantum regime. We've also done some work in spintronics, which uses the spin of an electron along with charge as an extra degree of control over the system.

This is my first thread, and I look forward to seeing where it leads!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

At the moment nothing.
    I'm on long term sick also the post has been removed since I was last in, in October.
    So even if I went to work tomorrow I'd have nothing to do!!

3. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I'm a copywriter. Or, for those of you who don't know what that is, I contribute towards societal inequality by means of spin, deceit and conscious omission of the truth :(

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I tell kids to sit down. I tell kids to "cut out the talking." I tell kids to "put it away."

I try to teach metaphor at the same time.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I'm a shift supervisor in a 911 / Police & Fire Dispatch Center. I work rotating 12-hour shifts, watching over four other calltakers/dispatchers. We deal with all incoming emergency and non-emergency public service calls in a region of 110,000. We are very busy -- and I absolutely love my job! I just wish we used Mac's instead of the @#$@# Windows XP machines!!!

6. oreomac macrumors member

I'm a student nurse with 6 months to go before I graduate. I'm planning to work in a high dependency unit once I've finished.

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Great training for a future in politics. :)

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

10. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Party politics certainly. Funnily enough, politics is something I'm deeply interested in and think a lot about. Especially recently. However, I am, in myself, far too left wing to ever think about getting involved in the status quo. We need a revolution people ;)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

In all seriousness, aside from the frogs, I copywrite material for companies, handle the processing and logistics of a bunch of hash-smoking hippy aeiral photographers around the world, coordinate the color processing and database organization of a digital library, and If I am lucky, I get a freelance article in a local pub once a month on something I like to write about.

I basically sit behind a computer all day.

12. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'm in charge of sales and marketing for my companies retail division. I'm in Denver this week opening a new sales office.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.