What do you do during the day

Discussion in 'Community' started by appleguy, Aug 28, 2002.

1. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

OK we have had the youngest and a little high school stuff
    What about we get into some exciting stuff..

Tell us what you do for a job.
    And where abouts if you want. who knows you might make a deal or two. :)

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I got to school for 6hours get, get home chat for a bit and then go out for ride for about 2hrs and then I get home have dinner , then on my computer, then watch TV and then off to bed to repeat this routine the next day :D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Get up, feel depressed about having to go to work, jump on the overly crowded train, get to work, get even more pissed off, lunch, start looking forward to going home (;)), again, jump on an overly crowded train, get home, eat, jump on the mac and finally go to bed...ready to do the same old @#!?$ the next day :) :D

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Because my summer involves a lot of working at our house in Sweden, I almost never have the same pattern anymore. :rolleyes: :D

But, on a less comical aspect of things, since classes start in less than a week, I will be waking up early (sometimes I like to wake up real early; I'm a morning person) for class and come home at around 15 something. Then it's homework, of course. Afterwards it's a mix of forums, N64, my dreaded heXbox, and dinner.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds familiar (although I don't really get depressed about work, it's OK). Which line do you use - I'm on the Central line. If you want to know what 1000 people stuffed in a tiny tin tube smells like then that's the place to find out.

Of course my day got off to a better than normal start today (not) when Ops phoned me at 7:15 am ro tell me that there was a batch failure that I had to fix :( Had to resetup y work dialup having installed Jaguar :)

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I work at Carnegie Mellon University as a Network Engineer. I design and maintain their core network and Internet connections. Some of the projects I have been working on are deploying a native IPv6 connection into and through our campus, deploying multicast throughout our campus (streaming MPeg2 at 3 Mbits/sec looks real nice). This week we are starting to test traffic shaping devices that help more fairly allocate our commodity Internet bandwidth.

I love my job!

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I work as a one man design department for a medium size company that does weird science - and I do mean weird. Power Beaming, ionspheric research, (do a search for HAARP on google and see what you find), I worked on that project in its development phase and ran the array for a couple months. The X-Files comic book actually had Molder and Scully take a visit to HAARP in one of their episodes. We also get to play with lasers and robots and other hi-tech toys.

And I do freelance 3D Illustration/Animation/Web Design at home. Love what I do, just wish I could do more of my own stuff, but I'm working on that.

D

8. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Working my arse of, and I love it. :D
    I must be one of the few underpaid people that really love what they are doing. (I'm crazy I know, but I don't care, it doesn't hurt, so..)

The job I do is Logistics support for Ericsson, where I am one of the key contacts.
    And I got my own little project going for the Ericsson DSL modems.
    As far as the job itself, I like it, intresting, exciting, ... all the fun stuff, I run into that all day long.
    Only regret is the salary, that could definitely be more, but hey you can't win'em all.

9. JupiterZen macrumors regular

I do Novell (mainly :cool: ) and Windows (as little as possible :D ) network and system administration for some smaller and larger companies here in The Netherlands.

I get up and jump in my car to go to a different place everyday. And I like it a lot.

And when I get home I try to work on video and audio projects in my mac-based homestudio together with friends.

You don't hear me complaining ;-)

10. dnte42 macrumors regular

For three more days, I wake up and try to avoid going to work, where I sit at a computer and almost avoid Excel data-entry and Word doc formatting by browsing the forums. I'm actually looking forward to school (although not to class, it's going to be a wierd semester).

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

What I do during the day

I work for Reuters near Kansas City. I create different types of calculations from stock market data. These results can be viewed from a web brower (Intranet) or a high-end quote machine. I develop in C++, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, and TCL on the Windows platform.

I enjoy my work, I enjoy going to work, I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for and I also enjoy going home.

12. brogers macrumors regular

I manage commercial real estate. I currently have 9 shopping centers with one being a large regional outdoor life style center. I am on the go most all day and I love my work. On the side, I have filmed some family weddings and done movies and slide shows on DVD. I recently converted some of my fathers old home movies from the '40's and '50's onto DVD's. That I really enjoy. Maybe some day I can actually get paid for it. Oh well, he did buy me a new iMac 800 with Superdrive. :D

13. flanders macrumors member

I'm a webobjects/cocoa developer currently in Atlanta. Sure is nice to be working professionally with all this great stuff!!!

14. MacMaster macrumors 6502

I go to school, come home, work on my homework, and then spend the rest of the day either playing hockey or using my computer... :)

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I get up, check my gunshoot and the 38, think about the gouverment and how I can kill the comunist politicians that I know without getting cought, got breakfast, call people offering my services a a video visualisation developer (create visuals for partyes), after planning my work schedule spend some time in Macrumors to be up to date with the north american culture, then finish my appoitments, during the night meet with the rest of thye politicians that are against the goverment just like I do, share information and prepare for future strikes anc coups, go home, spend some time with my girld friend, prepare my guns just in case and go to sleep.

That is living under the shade of comunism.

16. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

let's see...mine used to be...

get up around 10:00-12:00
    slowly stumble around the house
    finally wake up after my pop tarts and checking macrumors
    then either go mountain biking or rollerblading
    call some people
    bum around at the mall or go to the quarries
    come home
    eat
    leave again to hang out somewhere else
    come home
    check macrumors
    sleep
    repeat

and now it's going to be
    go to school
    go to work
    macrumors
    sleep
    repeat

17. awrc macrumors regular

Up until March:

Senior systems administrator/programmer at a large regional ISP. I guess that since I no longer work there I can name it - currently called ATX, used to be called CoreComm, prior to that was called Voyager.net, prior to that was called ExecPC. Since I started pre-6am most days, this tended to mean I was quite often the *only* systems administrator around if something went wrong early. Still, I got to go home before 3pm most days, and was quite often able to work from home, only driving into the office if something needed physically kicked.

However, when not having to fix broken stuff I was working on a shiny new custom DNS system for us. Multi-threaded modular C accessing PostgreSQL via the little-used but incredibly cool (when you're multi-threaded) asynchronous interface.

From March until May:

Foolishly accepted the position of manager of systems engineering for my location. So I spent about 20% of my time trying to do the stuff listed above, and the remaining 100% trying to deal with people from other departments (and my own boss) trying to shift the blame for everything onto my minions. I hate office politics - on my first day in the position I was forced to fire one of our best people because he'd made one too many enemies in our main office. Decided to quit because all the management crap and the increased on-call time due to our being short-staffed was driving me nuts.

From late May until early June:

Quit the job, started unwinding, a short vacation in the Black Hills will do me a world of good, then I can get down to jobhunting...

From early June until present:

Day 2 of vacation, fall while hiking. Left leg ends up with three fractures and a dislocated ankle. Bye bye summer. Bye bye jobhunting. Hello left leg held together by bolts and metal plates.

Typical day - get up, sit around catching up on the advances in my true vocation (programming) that I missed while stuck in the ISP (UML, .NET, XML - the stuff that looks good on resumes), take painkillers, fall asleep. Repeat.

Present:

Since I can now actually walk (well, hobble might be more accurate), it's time to have that Black Hills vacation, then get down to some jobhunting. In a way the delay's been good, there seem to be a lot more suitable positions open in this area now than there were in June.

Future:

Hopefully a nice senior programmer/analyst position before the end of October. Better yet if it's developing Real Software Properly rather than the ISP's "we want this done yesterday, even if it involves just hacking together a monstrosity that barely works out of Perl" approach which results when marketing decides the deadlines on engineering projects.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I use the c2c over head line and then DLR, and it's great...erm...NOT!

19. diorio macrumors 6502a

I am in the "food industry", which is an interesting field. You really feel good at the end of a hard days work.

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Football

I wake up at 5:40 AM and go to football practice which ends at about 10:30. i come home, shower, eat, and rest till about 4:00. Then, I go back to football, and come home at about 9, shower, eat, and sleep.

21. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Food industry? Why in quotes? I have a great respect for food service workers out there. I did KP while in basic training in the Army--everybody has to do it-- and it was ass-busting work. Non-stop from morning until night. And we didn't even cook! We just cleaned up and kept everything rolling until next meal prep. I can see how it can be a very satisfying way to make a living if you enjoy it, but miserable if you hate it.

22. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

TV Studio Director by day, Super Hero by night....hahahaaaaaa!

Fine....fine. My daily routine goes something like this

wake up, stumble to the bathroom, shower, shave, get dressed, go to work, do tv show, check email, check macrumors, do another show, back online, lunch, get back to work, do one more show, back online, clean up studio, back online, clock out, go home, watch some tv, look out the window, see the bat signal and i'm out!

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

For over a year, I was jobless after 18 years of software development. I've been going to community college since this time last year for a Graphics Design degree. Last week, I started at a temporary job scanning newsletters, correcting errors, and putting them into Adobe Acrobat format for web-viewing.

Having the job five days per week and school four nights a week is going to be challenging. It looks like Intro to Java programming is going to be my goof-off class because programming is pretty easy for me.

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Do you do hard-core mountain biking, or light and easy mountain biking?

As for my day, I get up at around 6:00 (5:30 on wednesdays), go to school at 7:30 or before to practice my trumpet playing, stay at school until sometime after 3:45, stay for band practice after schools on mondays and thursdays till 6:00, and go to band from 6:30-9:00 on tuesdays. On Mondays, I go to boy scout meetings from 7:00 to sometime after 8...

Between meals, sleep, and homework, I have very little time for Macrumors...

25. MacMaster macrumors 6502

mnkeybsness you're at 499! Do you have a 'tar ready?

*wink wink, nudge nudge...this is an excuse to post...:D*