What do you do to.... (get "New Feeling" back)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, May 3, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I was wondering what everyone does to re-live that feeling you got when you baught the apple computer you are using now?

I've had mine for about two weeks and I love it, it's purely amazing, however the whole "new feeling" is starting to wear off. So, I am trying to customize it even more.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know three ways to get that "new toy" feeling:

* Now that you've got your new system, get peripherals and software, but not all at once. Every so often, buy a new mouse, a PowerMate, or some other peripheral, or software that you've been wanting. Hunting for freeware and shareware at Versiontracker can be fun.

* Use your Mac to do something you haven't done before. If you haven't already done so, start buying music, editing video, helping the Folding or SETI teams, teach yourself AppleScript or Perl or MySQL, or whatever else sounds fun.

* Help others set up their new Macs. When a friend, neighbor, or family member gets a new Mac, you get to share the enthusiasm.

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The obvious answer: Buy another Mac.

Of course, you might want to win the lottery (or a big Vegas jackpot) first. :p

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Everytime a new piece of Apple Software comes out I get this feeling. iTunes 4 did it to me recently.

Go search versiontracker.com for some apps you might want to use, even if you don't need it. Its always fun

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

i just slow keeping buying stuff for mine. I just bought it a marware laptop sleeve. next i want to get an extra battery. Maybe a radeon 9000 for the powermac but i'm doubting i'll put anymore into and wait for a 970. Anybody know of any must have items for a 12 inch powerbook?

6. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Get Escape Velocity: Nova.

at: www.ambrosiasw.com

It's a very good game and only available to macs (and it's osX native). Then you can play this game and be happy.

7. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Work with a PC by day, and every night the Mac is just a dream to get back on

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

ha!

I like that one! OR better, build a PC for/at work. When less than half let you install windows, and you cant return things so it has to get done. You want your mac.

BTW I said NOT to get what we got, but they don't listen to me. Should have, cause we wouldnt have thousands of dollars of metal laying around...

9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i find the best way to get that feeling back is to break it, then fix it, you get a great sense of achievement too.

disclaimer: anyone who tries this tactic does so at their own risk, i will accept no responsibility

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i definitely agree with the whole "get new things for it slowly" idea. everytime i get something new for mybook (sic) it makes me absolutely giddy. or something.

also, customizing the look of the interface, or even just setting the desktop to change every day can be very helpful. ditto for finding new (free) software to play with!

the last suggestion i have is to find new things to connect your computer to, and new ways to integrate it into other things you already have and incorporate into more aspects of your life.

11. saint macrumors regular

Erase your hard drive occasionally (when it's convenient).

Then you get to reinstall, go through the setup assistant and setup all your preferences etc.
    It's like buying a new computer.

I know from experience, its one of the few positive outcomes of having your hard disk fried.

12. anneleonard macrumors regular

Amen to that. I hate my work PC sooooo much, its just the nastiest thing ever, and its not even that old. I would so love my next job to be mac-based!

Other things I do to keep my mac zingy and new is to make sure its clean, that my desk is rid of rubbish (so I can actually see my iMac!) and use new apps, new desktops, new icons for the dock, etc. I spend so much time just fiddling around with it, its great!

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Get new themes, and change your desktop daily. (If you search the Apple website, there's a program called Switchpic that'll do it for you:D )

14. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

not sure about 10.1, but in jaguar you can set your desktop picture to change on its own (and choose between a number of different time intervals) through the "desktop" preference pane. no need for an extra program since it's built right in.

15. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I completly agree. Thats a good way to do it.

That new feeling never really disappears, at least for me. I suppose it’s because I still get stares at coffee houses when I work on my tangerine iBook. At least one person a month asks, “Is that Apple’s new computer.”- Wow, I wish I were that disconnected from the tech world.

16. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Thanks.

17. anneleonard macrumors regular

That reminds me... whenever I tell people that I've got an iMac, they say "Ooh what colour?"! :D I have to then explain that they don't make them in colours other than white any more. Again, I wish I didn't know as much geeky stuff as I do!