What Do You Do To Keep Your Mac Clean?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ryannel2003, Nov 5, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hey everyone!

I was wondering what everyone did to keep there Macs clean? I use a plain microfiber cloth to clean off the screen and body of my eMac. Any other suggestions to keep my eMac looking brand new?

2. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's not like the eMac is difficult to clean, use the same stuff to clean it that you would to clean any other electronic device.

3. macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Compressed air is great for blowing out the dust from the keyboard. And after a while the keys start to get a bit grimey, so I use a dampened cloth with a *little* detergent to keep my white keys nice n' sparkly.

4. macrumors G3

iClean!
    it's AWESOME!

$10 a bottle and it will last you a long time, even if you obsessively clean it every week.

I got mine about a year ago, and I still have about 3/4 of the bottle.
    I use it with a microfiber cloth I got from the DOLLAR STORE!

*DOLLAR STORE!!*

5. macrumors 68040

maya

damp micro-fiber cloth does the trick on my iMac G5. :)

6. macrumors G3

puckhead193

iklear is better :p :p

7. Guest

iGary

The G5 gets a Windex Wipe cleaning once a week, the display gets a damp paper towel wipe down three or four times a week, and I blow out the inside ofthe G5 one every other week for dust.

I use iKlear on the iBook weekly, blow out the keyboard once a week.

The Dell has a pile of dust on it.

8. macrumors G3

puckhead193

ROTFL, us mac users take pride in our computers:cool:

9. macrumors 68040

maya

LOL, you mean the cost of the investment. Same would go for a car I guess.

If you bought a Neon, one would care less than if they invested in a BMW S5. ;) :)

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I was just wondering what other people use to clean there Macs with. I know the eMac isn't hard to clean, cause I clean it every couple of days. :rolleyes:

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hey iGary, do you think a Windex Wipe would work well on the eMac's glass CRT screen? Cause I sprayed Windex on a paper towel to clean it off, but it made it worse (Yes I know, I'm a bad person for doing something like that ;) ) O btw, thanks for reminding me I need to dust off my mom's Dell! :D :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 68040

maya

Kinda excessive don't you think. :eek: :p :)

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I'll have to check that out. I've read many times before that is the best thing for cleaning out keyboards. I actually took mine apart this morning becuase the clear plastic bottom part was really dirty. Had never been cleaned in 1yr, 1 week of ownership, so I thought it was time.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

LOL! My room is really dusty, and I don't like seeing my eMac dusty! :) :p

15. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hey do you know if they sell that at Apple Stores? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks and it would be great if I could pick some up.

16. macrumors 68040

maya

Is your room ventilated properly? Construction happening in your room, or its about time you clean your room. ;) :)

17. thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I usually dust my room every 2 weeks, and the house was built in April 2002 and my dad says (who built the house) that the dust is due to settling. My grandmother's 35 year old house is a lot less dusty than mine, so I guess it is the settling or something.

18. macrumors G3

Yup! they sell it at the Apple store! they even come with microfiber cloths! :D
    I think $25? Look it up on Apple.com, it'll be on there.

19. macrumors 6502a

I've never cleaned my mac mini, but I clean my desk and keyboard with hospital grade antibacterial wipes pretty much everyday. My aunt brought them from the hospital when my brother was diagnosed with leukimia (gotta make sure there's no mold or anything).

20. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I also got the iKlear, although not the bottle, but the little 'travel' packs, which is essentially 2 cloths, one wet, and one dry. You use the wet one to clean, and the dry one to wipe it off... plus, it comes with a little microfiber cloth that is used to give my powerbook that extra 'polish' :D I usually do that once a month (wet/dry method), but usually once a week i'll whip it down with a cloth, and compress-air my keyboards (powerbook and wireless)

21. macrumors 6502a

Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.

22. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I actually also use iKlear on the outside shell of my iBook. As for those 'stubborn marks' resulting from your case (I'll assume you mean the case you keep your 'book in), I'd suggest you get a better case. It's there to protect your 'book-- it shouldn't cause problems.

23. macrumors 6502a

You can use metal polish to get rid if scratches, and it also is good for getting rid of marks picked up from other things like bags, ink from pens and so on. In the UK you can get Brasso and Silvo - the latter is ideal as it has a much finer abrasive in it. Whatever you use its best to try a small area out of sight first (on an iBook I would go for the battery cover) just to be certain. Be careful that the cloth is very soft and very clean, otherwise you'll add more scratches.

24. macrumors 603

iSaint

iClean with the small cloth it came with. It was a good buy, as I have lots of the two bottles leftover. Cleans the screen well, too. Also buy a can of air to clean the keyboard. About every month power down, take the battery and keyboard out, and do a really good scrubbing.

25. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Wow, I must be really cheap....I clean all my computer stuff with baby wipes.

Although, my electronics really are my babies so I guess it's okay.