what do you do when the dock beachballs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by realityisterror, Mar 20, 2004.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    occasionally (every 3+ weeks and half an hour ago) my dock will just beachball (when i put the mouse over it, i get a beachball, no magnification, etc.)
    i've tried different methods of quitting the dock and restarting it, but it never works. in the end, i always have to restart. nothing i've tried works.
    also, when this happens, expose doesn't work. is expose controlled by the dock??

so what do you do in this scenario?

sry if this has been discussed. i've seen things on the dock crashing, but nothing relative to my situation.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  3. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Same think happens to me. Can't explain it. I have to restart aswell. When I try to log out it doesn't let me either.
  4. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Have you tried killing it from the Terminal? Just type "killall Dock" and it should relaunch. This has successfully worked for me in the past. Also worth a try is quitting it from Activity Monitor.

Yeah, I think it is, among other things.
  5. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    That reminds me of a fun bug... If you hold down shift and minimize a window (in slo-mo genie) Then while its minimizing, you execute the killall command. The dock quits, but the window freezes in its minimizing position. Its really cool.