What do you do when you cant focus?

Discussion in 'Community' started by PlaceofDis, Sep 30, 2004.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a project due at 10 am and its 12:30, giving me 9 and a half hours to finish it, plenty of time, but i cant focus on any work, i havent been able to for this whole week.

do any of you have suggestions or tips that help you focus on work or a task that you know has to be completed, but you know that you are putting it off? im a horrible procrastinator and i know it, so i think ill go try and get some work done and check back here in a little bit :D

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

:D

I'm the same way sometimes. The whole mentality of "the earlier you do it, the sooner you're done" doesn't work for me.

What kind of project is it? If it requires major concentration, maybe you can try earplugs ... when you can't hear anything, it's harder to get distracted. If it's something artsy-like, maybe try some creative music (whatever that might be) to get you in the project-doing mood.

You could also take a little sugar break. I recommend watermelon jelly beans and perhaps a few chocolatey things. :)

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

im on my second cup of coffee, its a project for a Technical Writing class that sucks because the teacher gives you no direction and expects you to read and teach yourself, i would drop the class if i could, but i wouldnt have enough hours then....its basically an assignment that consists of two two-page descriptions and a cover memo

it shouldnt take me long to do, but i just dont want to do it, its rediculous that the class has been cancelled three times already this semester, plus i have to do a draft of each that has to be turned in as well, blah, i'll get cracking on it soon LOL

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you might as well go smoke some crack rocks! caffeine and sugar=wired=bad for concentration. when i need to really concentrate i put on some ambient-type music (cause for me silence makes me unable to concentrate) and drink loads of iceICEICE cold water. also when im typing i find it easier to concentrate when i make word a 800x600 window so i can see some of my desktop.

5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

ice cold water eh? <dumps coffee down drain>

sure ill give that a go, now that i have a cup of caffeene in me to keep me up

i think its the lack of things around me, i sometimes work better when there is a lot of things going on so i dont get bored easily

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's what I do:
    QUIT SAFARI AND JUST DO IT. There is no magic trick. You just have to do it.

Lee Tom

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Clear your workspace (desk, table) of clutter; that will help avoid distractions. Get lots of snacks; those distractions are ok while you work. The panic of an approaching deadline can also help.

8. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

ah if it was that simple, part of the project is online, so yeah darn bookmarks are getting me, but im out of here now and im not going to come back until im done!

9. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Good! Get out and stay out! ;)

(But come back when you're done. :))

I feel your pain on the technical writing thing. I took a class that was (almost entirely) technical writing, and each project turned into an all-nighter. It wasn't difficult ... it was just sufficiently uninspiring that I didn't feel guilty postponing it over and over again.

Hope it goes well!

10. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Same here

I have a bunch of English work to do.I cant concentrate I have been procrastinating the whole day.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, iTunes is the killer for me. That and MacRumors. Say right now, for example....

Listening to "Peaches and Cream" by John Butler Trio, while replying to this post.... :(

12. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

well im about a third of the way done now, so this really shouldnt be too bad after all, but then again it has been two hours since i started this thread, and i really didnt work that much in those two hours, blah, this is boring work thats why i hate it, there is no creative thought process behind it, and i write poetry mainly so this is horrid for me. im going to finish up this section and half of the cover sheet, take a 3 hour nap and do the final half in the morning

good night all!

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  14. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I (really) have ADD, so that's not good for school, but I've learned to deal with it somewhat, and I know I can do better than this. I don't think what I'm doing has anything to do with ADD (taken in a bit of caffeine, exit iTunes)......even without considering ADD, I'd still be doing good, normal procrastination right now.

16. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you know, i wouldnt be at all surprised if that was 100% real, ie an actual old poster...

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Surely you've seen the Propaganda remix project. This wasn't one of theirs, but it looks to be a photoshopped old propaganda poster.

18. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I don't know where the pic is from. Obviously it's WWII American GI poster. However, I don't know what the original message was. There are many variations of this poster going around, including the popular "How about a nice cup of ****?" :D I just took the poster and added the meth text. ;)

Click here to see some funny pics :D

19. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

What I Do....

Hey, I feel your pain. I'm a junior in high school, and attend a math/science center half the day. One of the classes I take there is called Genetics, in which the main course syllabus is to write 7 formal labs in one semester. It is very difficult to sit down and actually write them, but that is the kind of work that they are, as opposed to homework you can just dabble in here and there. The best way I've found is to hide myself at a desk somewhere, with a bunch of snacks, and just work away. Grab some headphones and start iTunes, throw it on party shuffle. Whatever you do though, don't try watching a DVD in the corner of your screen or anything like that, it doesn't help. Finding something enjoyable (but not too distracting) like listening to music really helps. (Though I do highly recommend the headphones... Helps to keep you in-tune with the task at hand.) Good luck!

20. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

basically you have to pretend that you love it. Pretend you're a huge academic, and that all you want to do is study – TV, computers, and music aren't important to you at all. TV is just a waste of time that is created for commercial gain of the few, computers, while occasionally useful are mostly a waste of time, and music is just sounds created most commonly to sell records and make money.

I don't believe any of this, and love TV, but a little bit of this kind of thinking sometimes helps me study.

PS my dad gave me a bit of advice to kick my letterman habit: "While you're wasting your life away watching letterman instead of studying, David Letterman is already in bed, and will wake up refreshed for another day of getting things done."

21. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

the gods are tormenting me this week, turns out that my teacher decided to extend the due date, good in a way i guess because i will hopefully be able to revise and make my paper better, but i could have gotten a bit more sleep then, and the whole thing with my gf this week... AHHHHH! to life

and you know oldschool the thing is i want to be a huge academic, but not in these terms, more creative writing, study of literature/some history, so those papers are a snap for me because i love doing them, but this class is crap so its hard

and thanks to everyone for the advise so far!!

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

When I'm out of focus, it takes me over an hour to memorize, not even well, writing on two index cards. When I'm hyper and in the mood, I can get that done in 30 minutes, usually less. So if I find I'm not in the mood, I pretty much can't focus, so then I say: "I'll do it later." Luckily enough, I nearly always find myself in the mood to do something when approaching a deadline, probably due to the feeling of being held accountable (responsible) to perform a duty or complete an assignment.

(By the way, I don't have A.D.D. or anything like that.)