What do you do with a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericsthename, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hey, this is just a general question to all: what kinds of things do you like to do on your computers? What are some fun little apps to try out? Any really cool GUI mods or games?

Stuff I have on my own computer:

COD2, Quake IV, Unreal '04, Adium. I've tinkered a bit with shapeshifter, but its only recently come as beta to intel mac.

For GUI stuff I usually check out interfacelift. ResExcellence used to be awesome...

Let me know about all the cool little apps/hacks/customization things that I'm missing out on!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Quicksilver. one of the most useful and well implemented applications i've found. :)

3. squirrelonfire macrumors member

1) VLC - must have, play 90% of all the movie files out there, except the DRm content (which i dont really care). Screw flip4mac and WMP, they never work.
    2) Saft - a plug in for Safari. Safari is already freaking fast, way faster than firefox, of course IE is like kissing safari's butt. Now i got Saft, saft makes every link to open into a new tab, must have program. Now safari is like my perfect browser, i click and i'm there, loving it.
    3) Chi-Pet, a widget from apple website, u water him n he grows, lol !!!
    4) istats pro - must have
    I have mypc to play game, but i don't think this macbook can run any game anyway, the ingegrated graphic can't do crap.

4. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

cool, quicksilver i've heard about, but haven't gotten around to checking. VLC I have - sweet little vid player. I used to convert all .avi's to .movs before i found out about that. As for the others, I'll be doing some tinkering this weekend. Thanks for the input guys

Anyone else have some favorite little apps to share?

5. kalun macrumors regular

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like LabTick. It allows you to control the backlit keyboard manually. It's good for impressing your friends, or if you have no friends for impressing yourself :)

Anyway, I use my Macbook Pro for my job at CERN and Boston. Lots of heavy Mathematica simulations!

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

1) EyeTV
    2) Adium (who doesn't use this? Seriously!)
    3) Eclipse
    4) GCC and Xcode
    5) MS Office
    6) //s desktop

Last but not least

Boinc!

Incidentally since // does not support games for now.... no games on a Mac I suppose :(

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

What is Adium?

The original post was about MacBook Pro, not MacBook.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

A nice little Instant Messaging program, that supports AIM, ICQ, etc.

Its actually not all that great, but its the best I've seen.

11. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I checked out Eclipse and Boinc!, because they were new. Those are pretty much dev. apps hey? I still have to check out eyetv and quicksilver though. Has anyone played that game airburst extreme? I remember playing that on my iMac G3 way back in the day...