What do you do, with your coster CDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hugh, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

What are you guys doing with your Burn CD's that didn't burn right, or no longer needed. I have two spindel full of CD's (Almost a 3rd) that didn't either burn right (I have a defective CD Burner and thuoght it was software), or no longer need.

Because some of them may contain person info, what are you guys doing to get rid of your costers?

Hugh

2. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I've probably gone through a few hundred CD's that either didn't burn right or just had data on it that was no longer needed or outdated. At my old job we would have contests trying to get them to shatter slapping them down hard on a table. Otherwise I just fling them like a frisbee into the trash can across the room.

Microwaving is fun too, the first time you do it.

Maybe I should have saved the shards and made a dress like this girl did.

Attached Files:

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

5. daskonig macrumors newbie

I just throw them away, that is if there is no personal information on them.

6. nitynate macrumors 6502a

7. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

my buddy and his brother started glueing them to the ceiling in his bedroom, it started out as a couple rows, then a triangle to the middle, then almost the whole ceiling was covered. We just make patterns with them, it looks pretty sweet i think....

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I put them in the trash... where they belong.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They go off to a recycler. There are companies that will even take CDs for free (you pay postage), but I don't know if those ones will take shredded discs.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

The local recycling center takes CDs (of the evil AOL sort) and CDRs, so I just dump them in their bucket. Whatever happens to them must be better than a landfill, though I'm not entirely sure how you'd do something with a layer of hard plastic and a thin layer of aluminum.

11. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

Get a screwdriver and.....

....KILL IT!!! AAAOOOUURRGGHH:D

12. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

If you have alot of them, I did read about something that you can buy that will cut them up so they can not be used.

Go to Staples.com, there is a shredder there that will shred them. It costs $99.

13. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

i throw them against my desk and they shatter so that saves all my info

14. KevKaos macrumors 6502

The microwave idea is fun if you have never done it before, but you want to be careful and it can kinda stink up the house. Also not sure how good of a job it does of making your private data unreadable.

I would look into buying a cross-cut shreader (as mentioned above) that is strong enough to handle cd's and credit cards. Might sound like overkill, but if you are concerned about personal security, you should shread any mail, old bills, or whatever anyway.

15. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

Bend them in half until they break. It's fun and dangerous. :) Scissors work too but they are not as much fun.

16. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Way back when, me and a group of friends had a bunch of coasters and some aol discs. We took those into one of their basements, borrowed a dremel and had hours of fun affixing the cd onto the dremel, spinning it up to speed and then letting it rip. We eventually got out a ramp and sent them airborne as well. It was a ton of fun and I would recommend that if you do try this, to do it in an area where you can easily pick up the pieces because when they hit the wall, they shattered all over the place. :D

17. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

That reminds me of the dress that was made out of AOL 3 1/2 disks. LOL

I would thow them in the trash but some of them have personal data on them which makes me a think twice about.

I haven't shredded them, but again I would be worried that the recyler would go though the CDs. :/

Thanks I didn't know there was a shredder that could cut CDs up. :)

Hugh

18. sambob macrumors newbie

I put them In the microwave 3 at a time for about 5 seconds, check them for a nice even spider web effect, if it ain't quite cooked all the way round let It cool and hit It again for about 2-3 seconds.
    To keep the smell down i try not to do more than 20 In one sitting, then just toss'em.:D

19. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Repackage them all as CD-Rs and sell them to unsuspecting friends.

KIDDING!! Yeesh. :rolleyes:

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I use to throw them at people but they frown on things like that where I live so I just trash it.

Bless

21. JDN macrumors 6502a

I mainly use them as coasters too. I burn them into funny shapes.

22. UnitedRed macrumors member

a pub I used to go to sometimes had their whole bar covered in cds, with glass or plastic over the top. Looked quite good

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last year in the dorms, one of my friends had a dremel with a tip that fit perfectly inside the hole in a CD. So we would take coasters, AOL CDs that they hand out on campus, whatever, so we would stand at one end of the hall, spin up the dremel, and shake the CD off or push it off with a pen or something, and the damn thing would fly across the room in like a second, slam into the wall at the other end, and shatter into a ton of pieces. Its quite entertaining :D