What do you do with your old Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kasei, Sep 7, 2006.

1. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I have a 17" PowerBook that has seen a lot of action. It has been through a very tough 21 month Exectuive MBA program, run countless financial models, built numerous web pages, written 4 screenplays, 12 business plans and has handled 100's of presentation. It has been to Japan, China, Spain, Mexico and Taiwan just to name a few places. I can't help but feel attached to this system. I must also add this is my first Apple computer, so as I look to upgrade to a new system, I can't help but feel a little guilty. Now I am left with a question I pose to you guys.

What do you do with your old Mac?

2. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I try to sell it.

I just sold my first mac too, and I admit I will be very sad to ship it away. I am attached to it. But I want a new mac and I want to reduce my out of pocket expense.

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

If I were you, I'd pass it on to someone in the family. That way you can still "stay in tocuh".;)

4. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

Sell it, which is what I'll do with my old mac in the macrumors marketplace once I reach 100 posts. :)

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sell it, I never keep a Mac more than a year.

6. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I wish someone would "donate" a Mac to me....even an old eMac with Tiger on would be cool :) just to get my head around OS X, in time for my MacBook around January time :D

7. golferjh3 macrumors newbie

Drop it out of a 10th-story window, post the video online and infuriate everyone on MR.

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

keep it plugged into power and ethernet and make it a server. no monitor needed and you can just tuck it away somewhere.

9. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I threw 2 macs in the trash. The rest I've sold and made some decent money.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Usually I sell it and put the money towards offsetting the cost of the upgrade. when I got my MBP in March, I donated my old iMac to the girlfriend. She's a convert now. :)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

If it is beyond selling I throw em' in the dumpster.

I'm an environment-hating Republican. :D

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

My PB is 2.5 years old and still trucking. I've got 1.5GB of RAM to still upgrade, and this machine is running fine (ok, a bit slower than I would like), so I imagine I can squeeze some more out of it. My last computer (a Vaio) I had maxed out the RAM by this time...

When it does come time to get rid of this machine, I'll end up giving it to my kids to use as a learning tool, or use it as a living room machine. Either way, it'll stay with us until it dies (I still have the Vaio, and we still have our Kaypro, P133, Celeron 266 [they got it without my permission] and now the iMac G5 at my parents).

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Shame on you iGary! ;) :p :D :)

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My first mac was sold to a friend. Was kinda sad to see it go but my new MB is awesome. Atleast I know who has my first mac.

15. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

you'd give it to me? please!!:) :)

Anyways what I'd probably do with it is take it apart, i'm a tinker-er so i'd probably find uses for most things in it.:) pur-lease!

16. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have the exact same Mac as Kasel - 17" 1.33 but I upgraded mine to 2 GB RAM. It's seen me through a ton of traveling, on-site video editing, heavy file manipulation (3 GB Photoshop files), etc, etc. I'm going to make it last for another year or so and then turn it into a backup laptop/living room Mac. I really can't imaging getting much money for it a year from now. My older Macs (nearly 10 year old Power Computing clones - 604 processors) still exist as file and music servers. One in my house another in a friend's office. I also turned my Mac SE/30 into a Macquarium once the CRT died.

17. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Stack em up in my room.

I have this big pile of vintage Macs making a huge tower on a dresser in my room.

I wish someone'd buy the suckers. :(

Its a 6100, then 2 7100s, then a Beige G3, then an 8500.

I also have a shelf with two empty Blue G3s, two working Blue G3s, and a Yikes G4.

If anyones interested in purchasing, shoot me a PM. :D I could use the cash more than the Macs, I only really use my iBook and my Digital Audio G4.

19. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

I just have a old pile of laptops sitting by my desk. That is their carpeted cemetery. ;)

20. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I plan to retire my PM MDD as a email/ftp server when I get a rev. B Mac Pro. The money I would get when I eventually upgrade just isn't worth the hassle and separation anxiety. ;)

21. bartelby macrumors Core

Until recently my 7500 PowerMac was used to create sample loops that were transferred to my 5300 PowerBook for me to use for gigs. What changed was:
    We split up the band, the inverter went on the 5300 and then the 7500 died of a broken heart.

My old iMac I gave to my folks, who have just upgraded to a Mac Mini.
    My wife has the old G3 PowerBook and my G4 Quicksilver is pretty much my music server.

22. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Bartelby: I PMd you about music in Newport a while back and your experimental band was just about to begin. Sorry to hear it's over now - have you got a myspace for that band?

By the way, do you post on Collective Zine? It seems like the sort of thing that may interest you.

Back on-topic: I tend to keep my Macs forever, or find them a good home - like an elderly relative who's never had a computer before. I still keep promising myself that I'll either fix my old Lombard powerbook, or take it apart to sell as parts on eBay.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm in the process of redoing the band's website (when I can be arsed) and reorganising my MySpace page.

Collective Zine? I've not heard of it before. I'll check it out shortly.

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You can also donate it to charity. There are a couple organizations online that will help you locate worthwhile local charities. I donated three computers to a local day care center, but I've also had good response from the National Cristina Foundation.

25. bartelby macrumors Core

On a side note / off topic kinda thing.
    Any ideas what's wrong woth my 7500.

It starts up with the correct chime. Then after a minute beeps then goes to a blue screen.