what do you do with your old macs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by agentmouthwash, May 25, 2004.

1. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    I have a blue & white G3 Powermac 350mhz and a G4 400 mhz Powermac
    that I am going to be replacing with a G5. But I don't know what to do with them! It doesn't seem worth selling on ebay because people are barely getting
    $100 bucks for them.

Any ideas?
  2. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    In the apple store, in front of a G5.
  3. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
  4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I have an old G3 beige PowerMac that I upgraded to a Sonnet 500Mghz G4. It's got like 384MB of RAM. I also put in a second harddrive. A Seagate SCSI harddrive.
    I can't remember all the specs but it's just sitting around. I haven't used it for a while. Been thinking about selling it. I may part with it for 500.
    I installed Mac OS 10 on it and it runs fine.
    I originally planned to network it to my new machine as a storage server but my newer G4 does fine. I currently have a 933Mghz G4 and I love it.

Well, anyone interested? Geez, I have to do a wipe and clean install; who knows what I might have left on it.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
  7. agentmouthwash thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    you aren't going to get 500 for it. you're lucky if you get 50 bucks.
    that is the problem.
  8. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    I'll restate this:

I will take them. If you don't want them, I will put them to use curing disease... I have the space to make about a 30 computer lab.
  9. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    keep the G4 and put Panther on it & network it with gigabit ethernet to your G5...

- use it as a fileserver with Rendevouz
    - use it as an iTunes streaming machine
    - fold!
    - use a second HD to tinker around with Linux

that's what I would do...

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    um a stock beige gets at least 75-100 bucks and his has a G4/500 upgrade plus more ram added and another HD. i'd say its worth at least 300-400.
  11. zulgand04 macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Northborough, MA
    i've got my Power Mac 6500/225 running as my house file server, and working on settting up a houshould web site/mail server. Though i would like to get a way that everything automaticly goes to the file server instead of haveing to connect to it every time i have to resatart or log out. any tips?

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    We had some old macs lying around. My mom one day decided they werent worth anything and gave them away without consulting me. I still have yet to forgive her though the stuff she gave away wasnt exactly top of the line I could have made use of it.
  13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Seti, Have teo old beige G3, had a lot of PPc machine = 68000 series but had to give away for lack of space
  14. BaDBoY macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    i still have a power mac G4 450 mhz... the first G4 series.. i just use it as a server/downloading stuff like most people said. i had a performa 635 CD... i sent that back to the philippines hehe
  15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Well, I have to figure out where to put my parent's LC520 now that it's home. It has been replaced in my father's office by a lime iMac (and no, it's not their iMac :p). I think I'll hack it and make it glow blue or green...
  16. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    I have a mac plus (the first machine in my family), my dads old SE/30, my old performa 600 and a dual usb iBook with a loose connection to the screen...

The iBook I want to use for some supernice hack, maybe even a wooden case, to give to my parents so they can go surf the net at home...

The rest i don't know...it's just recently I started taking an interest in them and finding out stuff about them...I've been using the SE/30 as a typewriter, so it would be super nice to connect it to my PB, though it's probably hard to find an airport card for it :eek:

...but one day, when I'll have time, mony and know how, THEN...!!! :rolleyes:
  17. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    You could always donate it for the tax write-off, might end up with a better deal than ebay in the end.
  18. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    You can get $200 or so for the B&W depending on the hdd size/RAM and included OS.

Click Me
  19. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    My current plans for my beige G3 300 is to make it into just a standard webserver (which it's doing now anyway), mailserver, and most importantly - a print server. It would be sooooo helpful to have printing done offline from my current machine - that's what slows me down the most.

It's also going to exist as a web portal for my kids, using bumpercar or some other restricted web browser. They don't need the speed, and it'll keep them off the "good" computer. :D
  20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I still have not thrown out my old Macs, I still have me Performa 6300 CD which works so well, its a solid machine, I even played starcraft on it for 2 years! I have a PowerMac 8600 with a G3 card, a Powerbook 5300c, and some 100 series Powerbooks, every machine I own still works. The Computer with the G4 card in it could fetch a good price the Begie G3 has life in it as well, it will run Panther, and it has PCI ports.
  21. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    well, it CAN run panther, but only after a rather destructive system hack. You're better off staying with 10.2.8 if you can, unless you're just dying to have that 'pantherization' on it, it'll just cost you some features and built-in ports.
  22. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Yeah but

He didn't ask "who wants it" or "what's it worth" or "what OS can I run", he asked "what can I do with it?"

That's a good question. I tend to save my old computers, but they end up just sitting around, and I never end up doing anything with them. If you have a newer computer to use, why would you even boot up an older one? To run the same software 4x slower?

Now if they're very different computers, then that's another story - I've been thinking of getting an older PC just to play some old games and muck around with Linux. But that's two different platforms. No reason to have two computers that run the same platform, the same apps, but one's alot newer.

My advice - just give it away. You'll never use it again. Give it to a friend or relative or something. Ideally someone like a low income ten to fifteen year old who would love a computer but would have a lot of trouble affording one. If you or your friends have a housekeeper, give it to their kids.
  23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Don't forget schools! I've given a couple Mac to schools. Give them a working system and volunteer an hour to help them set it up. It might get lots of use in a classroom.
  24. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    i got a friend (co-worker) who will trade you a G-mail account for them. :)

let me know...
  25. heatheralane macrumors newbie

May 13, 2004