What Do You Expect From A MMORPG??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

The latest patch from WoW has been released, and their forums are SET ON FIRE from people screaming and yelling about the new stuff. WoW got 2 battle grounds and the wait to them is about 3 hours to get in. Also, Paladins got no buffs and none of their bugs fixed.

This has a lot of players complaining.

I wonder, what do you expect from the developers of an MMORPG? Do you feel they have to listen and address EVERY single complaint & issue? What about content? How often do you think new content should be available? Are technical issues acceptable?

2. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

I feel that this is a commonly held perception that developers should, but it is often a completely unrealistic one.

Its also worth noting that a large portion of complaints on a forum are based on personal opinion, what is right for one is rarely right for all. People don't mind expressing their opinions on a forum in absolutes, when in reality the truth is gray. But hey, thats human nature.

Personally - i've been playing MMORPG's for years, and its not new or uncommon to see this kind of reaction. I've never developed an MMORPG, but I have developed games, and often, user comments can be somewhat off base. The developers want the best of their game, and they want the players to have the best game - its truly in their interest and like any artist, they are proud of their work. But sometimes time, money and a lack of adequate crystal ball technology conspire to confound these goals.

My expectations - I just like a game that is imaginative and well executed. WoW is one such game.

3. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

Its worth noting that games are made of many subsystems too. Fixing the buffs for paladins is probably the responsibility of someone entirely different than the group responsible for battle grounds.

You'll find most complaints are along the lines of "Why did you tweak graphics for A when you could have been fixing the bugs in B!???". This is unrealistic, as they are usually responsibilities of two different groups, and its not always feasible or even productive to throw hundreds of people at a problem like that.

Its also likely that the skill sets are quite different (i.e. in the example above which is absolutely 100% true of a complaint I read about Dark Age of Camelot on a forum) - why would someone assume an artist could fix a bug in the code for loot drops??

Then, there are also a small portion of the people who complain because their class can't do everything, or doesn't play like the paladin of D&D 3rd edition rules or whatever. Sometimes user expectations outstrip what the developers are actually striving for or can achieve given the scope of the game. I.e. Does these changes they are asking for make sense!? Will it unbalance other areas of the game?

And then there are just some people who are hopeless at games all together. Not everyone is an uber gamer, and this can really show up in an MMORPG because they get owned a lot. :)

Short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but...

Basically, there are 1 million plus subscribers to WoW (I have no idea of the actual number but I think that is right) - anyway, there are so many different hardware configurations to work with in a user base that large that it would be naive to think that there would be no issues. That coupled with a HUGE array of differing communications infrastructures, it can be very difficult to get it right.

HOWEVER - if there is a consistant, and replicable defect that is causing a problem, denying players access to the game, it should be put pretty darn high on the list of things to fix. One thing as users we find hard to accept though is that some problems can be a) hard to find b) hard to fix when they find them. So posting a problem on Monday, doesn't mean the fix will be there on Tuesdays update. I guess the one thing that upsets me about this is that we are often not kept in the loop about this process, however I do understand why.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

LOL!

I agree. I think Blizzard is absolutely the best game dev -- not just because of the games, but because of the support and quality.

This is the only MMORPG I've played, but the GM support impressed me. What a job that would be, huh.

We may have less titles, but I bet QA loves testing on Macs -- testing PowerBook A and PowerBook B is a lot easier than 100 different Dell/Sony/HP configurations. Just look at this mess of graphics cards.

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

What do *I* expect from an MMORPG? Well, the 'RPG' part - which has been severely lacking for a long, long time now. I want roleplaying and evolving storylines, not leveling treadmills and grinding and raiding.

6. coconn06 macrumors regular

I think it's interesting that you singled out the Paladin class. I think this is in agreement with other post that opinions of players on the forums are just that - opinions. I, and many others, feel that the Paladin class is perfect where it is. Great for PvE (raids, solo, etc.), yet not the strongest PvP class. Whereas Shaman (analagous to paladins on the horde side) are great for PvP, but not nearly as good as Paladins for PvE. All classes have bugs at this point, and many were not addressed. The class that really needs help is the Warlock (they got some love, but not enough).

Not trying to derail this thread, just trying to point out there is always some bias in players' opinions, so it's sometimes impossible for developers to listen to players, unless they're sure they're hearing a majority of the player base.

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I expect the game to be evened out slowly. That is, no one character class or profession should have an absolute advantage over the other. Comparative advantages are fine though.

Case in point, my lvl 20 mage can deal out an insane amount of damage. But, if I go questing with a group of higher lvl characters, my spells are almost useless. However, my druid can at least do some damage. My mage, by this virtue, cannot grind nearly as fast as a paladin can. This sort of sucks. I'm not saying that I should be able to own a lvl 22 beast, but they shouldn't resist EVERY rank 4 spell I have. Ahh well, maybe 1.6 will fix this.

Also, I expect Blizzard to allow voice chat among groups soon. With the general channel, trade channel, LFG channel, guild channel, and group channels, organizing an effective strategy is damn near immpossible (especially near a city). This could also be allieviated with a couple of group training quests that teach various tactics to everyone. Also, the group leader should have an extra menu too choose which strategy to use. "Should we attack the higher lvl beast first, or take out the underlings first?"

These are my only gripes with WoW. It's a fun game, but far from perfect. With so much group oriented play required to advance, there needs to be a modicum of group training in the game. That, and lvl up's only happen every other lvl. This makes it so that sometimes you'll get 8 new abilities all at once, and it's hard to keep track of all the new ones at one time.

Just my two cents....