what do you guys feel about this... (helptruelove website)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by firewizard, Feb 5, 2006.

1. firewizard macrumors member

this site it seems so cute and this guys seems pretty sweet i just dont know how believable it is...i just wanted some of your opinions before i actually donated anything

http://helptruelove.gotdns.org

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Your money is better spent with a real charity of some sort, perhaps something local in your neighborhood.

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Let the future husband make Dominique happy, not you. I would not donate.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. Go and donate to your local church or something.

Bless

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They've got 2 years to come up with the cash; that's enough time for one or both of them to get an additional job to put more aside. Or go out less and put that money away.

There's no sob story here; just someone who wants something they can't afford on their own. There's no target amount they're going for, no information on how close they are to getting there, no mention of what they'd use any excess cash for - more drinks at the reception?

If you have money to give away, give it to a more worthy cause.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is quite easy to get caught up in the happiness of a couple's upcoming wedding and I try to avoid viewing lots of things through a jaded prism, but I am leery of giving to anything like that posted on a website. Maybe being from NYC also contributes to my feelings ... I am bombarded with solicitations of one kind or another on a daily basis from aggressive panhandlers.

About a month ago one of them stood in the middle of the subway car and asked for a donation of "nickels, dimes or pennies." When someone gave him several pennies, he forcefully slapped their hand away sending the pennies all over and then proceeded to stand in front of the person while unleashing a tirade filled with vile obscenities.

7. firewizard thread starter macrumors member

wow that is just nasty!
    living in la i have seen similar incidents but man that is pretty nasty definitly on the top of the list of rude bums

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Almost like a scene on the 6 train heading up SoHo i was on. This guy was asking for money (limping with it) for his wife and his kids talking about his light is about to turn off. The lady gave him a penny and he got angry and started blasting on her. I understand the NY state of mind as well....gotta be mindful in NY.

Bless

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Some of you may be familiar with a story that received press attention the last few days. A young woman was removed from a train in Manhattan by police and given a $50 ticket for having placed her shopping bag filled with grocery items on an empty seat next to her when half the car was empty.

Yet I have not observed one cop ever going over to the aggressive panhandlers and either forcibly removing them or doing anything else to benefit the riding public. Plus, there are no shortage of other indignities to face daily from filthy stations, so called musicians banging drumsticks on cans that can damage the hearing of anybody close ... and there are those big rats on the tracks, etc.

10. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Yes the stations or filthy and should be cleaned but I think beggers and musicians should be allowed to do their things unless they are desturbing the public or making to much of a rukus.

By the way, sorry for going of topic:eek:

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The majority of those in London disturb the public - quite besides the fact that it's illegal. They 'announce' themselves at the end of the carriage and then walk down, stopping in front of each passenger and thrusting a chewed down McD's cup in your face.

The 'musicians' are worse. Most of them have no concept of music - and there is nothing worse than a very loud harmonica in an enclosed space like a Tube train.

Must confess... I stick in the iPod and put my nose in a book.

12. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

There are far far far far far far far far far far more deserving causes to give to. I actually find that site quite sickening. Offensive even. Millions of people can't even eat or sleep somewhere warm and this guy's asking the public to finance his doting sentimental extravagancies.

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Very true, but he will probably be on the receiving end of a decent number of contributions.

Zoning yourself out is the smartest thing to do.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'd donate...

To get that guy a better hair cut.

Attached Files:

15. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

When I opened the link and was reading the first page, I suddenly saw all these blobs on my screen. I was thinking: man, I REALLY need to clean my screen! Turns out its just a weird background. :rolleyes:

About donating. I'd pass. There's no way you'll ever find out if this is legit. If you want to donate find a real charity and give 'em your cash.

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    All I can say is, what nerve this guy has, begging for donations from strangers for a WEDDING, for pete's sake! What is WRONG with him, anyway? Good grief!

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I must say there is this one guy that have no legs/blind on the train that i alwasy give money to him. Everytime i see him my heart goes out to him and i give him a little and i always feel good about it......but when those other fellas come on the train i turn up my ipod and look at the posters in the train.

P.S. yea that guy hair cut is jacked up.

Bless

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I had noticed how dirty my screen was earlier today and was planning on it, but when I was reading the first page I was like "damn, I REALLY need to clean my screen, and was about to get up and get a cloth when I noticed that the blobs scrolled along with the page....hahaha.

19. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

blek. donate somewhere else.

at least they made it on a Mac.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That is a completely shameless web site. I mean, I respect that he's in the Marines, but come on...

21. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

OH MY GOSH, I am sorry but WTF is up with this ******** :eek: ....I am such a diehard romantic but what the hell are these two losers doing asking for handouts for their wedding. I WOULD NOT donate any of my money to a mindless idea that started behind a Barbie doll in the first place...did anyone read this ****?? And if this girl is truly graduating from the Fashion Institute of Design, then she should be well capable of PAYING for her own damn wedding that is not even until 2008 (not to mention a 50's theme wedding---I am sure some wedding planner could make this so-called dream happen on the tightest of budgets)!!!

No two people TRULY in LOVE would act so ridiculous about this...PERIOD. No wait, I meant NO INTELLGIENT people would NEED a freaking 50's wedding that bad that they would ask for handouts. Sorry but these people are the examples of scheming, con artist lying idiots who are taking money for sympathy and I personally do not feel sorry for them OR care about their DREAM wedding! Maybe they should write OPRAH and see if she cares at all!