What Do You Guys Recommend?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rockets Fan, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Rockets Fan macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2004
    I'm looking to get in the Mac World, but on budget.:eek: I was thinking of getting an iBook, the only thing I'll be using it for is to surf the web and iTunes. I also read on MacRumors that the iBook is reaching the end of its cycle. But do you think it will be find for the surfing and iTunes?

This is a dumb question(s) but can I connect the creature speaks and apple mouse to the iBook?
  2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The new iBooks will work fine for surfing the internet and using iTunes, I use an old iMac and it performs those tasks fine.
    And yes you can connect Creature Speakers and an Apple Mouse to your iBook.
  3. Rockets Fan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2004
    With the introduction of the new iBook (anyone knows when?) will the older version price drop? If so would it be wise to spend a few hundred more for better technology?
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The prices will drop when the new ones come out, but it can be tricky finding the older models from resellers who will offer you the AppleCare warranty, keep an eye out on Apples refurb page, and if new ones do come out you really have to weigh your options, what computer makes best sense for you at a certai price.
  5. boxerchip macrumors member

Aug 15, 2004
    I would just like to point out im sure the price will drop.... but not like it does in the PC world... I had a maxed out alienware configured 1 day agao and I just could not take it anymore.... im getting a G5 now, but when i still had the alienware on order i was looking for a used G5 that would be cheeper... and there is no such thing as a cheep G5 or power book... so dont expect it to drop too much.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  7. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    hell, a 500 dollar iBook on ebay will surf the web and run iTunes perfectly.
  8. Koree macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2004

My ten year old Powerbook 520 can run an internet browser pretty well too. :D Just felt like saying that there is still no useless mac out there in my opinion. Unfortunately, iTunes is a different story... :eek:
  9. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    heck i can surf on my lc475 on os 7.5 with netscape :D. but my cube put it out of commission :eek:
  10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    damn, I can surf on my SE/30 with iCab... but seriously, a white 500mhz G3 iBook will suit you just fine...

11. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    There hasn't been any mention of an updated iBook yet, but it doesn't matter if you're going to be using it for those tasks. An older, even the first snow iBook would be perfectly fine for those uses.