What do you guys say to using iTunes for iPhone and only Plex for everything else

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Doju, Sep 30, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

Jun 16, 2008
    Recently I jumped on the HD bandwagon. Grabbed a 500GB internal for my MacBook Pro and a 1TB external in case (and I imagine I'll need it) I run out of space.

My biggest annoyance is iTunes ridiculous inability to play .MKVs. I either convert, wait ages and lose quality or save as a container, still wait awhile, and the quality isn't as good as the original .MKV. Neither option is as nice as keeping the original .MKV file.

I've heard a lot about Plex as of late, so I'm considering using that for all my HD media, and use iTunes for my SD media. I can sync my iPhone with iTunes and have the benefit there (there's no way I'm wasting space putting HD on my iPhone) plus I don't have to edit the CNID to have two copies. One lower quality in iTunes, the amazing stuff in Plex.

What do you guys think about this? I know some might say this may not work with the Apple TV, but I'm leaning more towards the Mac Mini hometheatre route.
  2. macrumors 603

Aug 1, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Exactly the same concerns I had, and I went the Mac Mini Plex route and it's fantastic. I was previously running a Vista HTPC and it was far less refined and convenient than Plex on a Mac. Plus the noise in my living room and the power consumption has gone way down.

My Mac Mini in the living room functions as a NAS, BT client, and HTPC... all-in-one. It's one of the best computing investments I've made.

As you are suggesting, I still use iTunes for music and podcasts, but that's about it.