What do you guys think about a phone with screens on both sides?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doc shivers, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Would this be possible? I think it would be pretty cool, you could have different ***** running on each screen, and have the phone detect which side you were using. Seems like the back of the phone is wasting hella space atm, why hasn't apple thought of this yet?

2. macrumors 68020

sviato

Seems like a dumb idea since you can only see one screen at a time.

3. macrumors 65816

This is stupid IMO. One screen is enough. Two screens was cool for a flip phone (one on inside one on outside). I don't see a point in this.

4. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Maybe no screen but additional touch area could be nice.

But get me NFC first ...

5. thread starter macrumors member

If Steve Jobs wasn't rolling in his grave we probably would already have this.

6. macrumors 601

Too funky, but one of those screens where I can see clearly outside in full sunlight would be good.

7. macrumors 65816

Really? Highly doubt it.

What makes you think that a screen on the front and back would ever be considered?

It's so random and useless. Ive seen this on some new netbooks/computers, but on a small handheld phone?

Now, what would be cool is a phone with a screen on the front and back that unfolds to create a huge screen... now that's an idea.

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 65816

I saw this posted in the accessories section. I figured maybe the OP saw it too and decided to start this topic...

10. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Seems redundant. They should add something new, like a cup holder.

11. macrumors 68000

Actually might be a good idea. Could be surfin the net on one side, texting on the other. Or playing a game on one, side, texting on the other, and so on. Could see this coming to an android first. Will the consumer go for it? Don't know but usually somebody like HTC will try it.

12. macrumors 65816

So instead of the phones natural ability to multi-task, YOU would rather do the multi-tasking by flipping your phone around?

Great, now people who drive and text will have another thing to distract them because they will now be physically flipping their phones over to check the other app that is running.

13. macrumors 68020

sviato

I doubt he'd go for something this tacky. This would also reduce Apple's margins since they'd have to pay for 2 screens for 1 device. And can you imagine the amount of complaints if 1 screen gets a scratch or both shatter? Not to mention battery life.

I can't see a use for this :confused:

14. thread starter macrumors member

No, they could just raise the price of the phone, hell i'd pay for it. Right now the whole back side is being wasted.

15. macrumors 6502

I hesitate to say this because I once said I didn't understand why you'd want your music player combined with your phone, but I don't understand the need or purpose.

16. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think the God or whatever should put eyes on your ass, so that your back side is not wasted. :p

So how can you going to hold your phone? Okay, you can say the phone will disable the "back screen" when you're holding it normally... but then what's the point of having the second screen.

full of fail.

17. Guest

I think the idea is that the screen that you are not currently using automatically deactivates, similar to how a proximity sensor automatically deactivates the screen when you hold it near your face.

If one screen is always disabled at any given time, and they are sharing the same processing power, how would this use any more battery?

18. macrumors member

No.

Because Apple doesn't like creating gimmicky, overly complex and completely useless things like that. The less bells and whistles attached to the device, the better.

Why haven't people figured this out by now?

19. macrumors newbie

20. Guest

Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.

Yeah that Nokia N95 was sporting a capacitive touch screen and full mobile browser, yet the iphone came along with a more simplified WAP browser :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

22. macrumors 68020

23. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If he was alive he'd be belittling you for the idea. The only way this would be at all appealing is to have a Vita type setup with a multi-touch backing on the device. Two screens are beyond useless as, as others have said, you can only view one at a time.

24. takeshi74, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors 601

Why do you think they didn't? Thinking of an idea and considering it worth pursuing are two entirely different things.

Sounds like a waste to me. Other than being "cool" what would be the use? How would one use screens on both sides at the same time?

How would a screen make it not wasted? A person can still only view one side at a time. A second screen that adds significant cost to the device and can't be seen or used while the other screen is being used would be a waste.

That's great. One sale isn't a justification for a mass produced product. What percentage of the market would buy it? That's why Apple hasn't done so.

25. kdarling, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Uses for a second screen on the back :

1) Present an image of you being interested in the person you're with, while you're busy using your phone on a date ;)

2) Put LCD/OLED on the main side, and e-Ink on the other. Use the first side for normal usage, and the low power e-Ink display for reading books etc.

3) Wrap the entire phone in Samsung's curved AMOLED displays. Change the entire color / background / animation of the phone body itself to fit your mood. Something like this early 2007 Nokia video at the 1:04 mark ...

Dual screen concepts pop up all the time.

Attached Files: