Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
What service does a phone provide me I can't get from the iPad, or Watch?

Well, not everyone has an Apple Watch, or even wants one, so there's that. Second, apart from physical size, the iPad Pro 9.7 weighs 444g, the 6s+ is 192g. Or are you assuming everyone would get a Mini? Anyway, you're talking about needing a bag/purse/backpack with you wherever you go... I don't see how this is a win.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, not everyone has an Apple Watch, or even wants one, so there's that. Second, apart from physical size, the iPad Pro 9.7 weighs 444g, the 6s+ is 192g. Or are you assuming everyone would get a Mini? Anyway, you're talking about needing a bag/purse/backpack with you wherever you go... I don't see how this is a win.

Not saying replacing iPhone with iPad will work for everyone, but having that option would be nice. That is, add phone app and watch syncing to all iDevices, not just iPhones.

theatremusician

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I just received my iPad Mini 2 32gb Space Gray today. I'll be integrating it into my guitar rig. I work in theatrical productions.

In case anyone was following this, I got myself an iPad Mini 2, 32gb. I also picked up the iRig Blueboard rather than the Blueturn (as they work very differently, the BB sends MIDI info while the BT only sends button clicks).

I got JamUp Pro with the acoustic imaging add on. This is now integrated into my guitar setup (as my SN implies, I work in musical theatre productions).

Here's my signal chain(s):

-My Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop Pro/FX w/Floyd Rose is plugged into an ABY box.

The signal is split two ways currently (I plan to add the Fishman Triple Play wireless MIDI system eventually):

-path "A" goes into a Zoom G1Xon multi effects pedal used mainly for dirty sounds and bass simulation
-path "B" goes into an iRig Stomp which is the iOS interface for the iPad Mini 2 and JamUp used for clean sounds and acoustic simulation (great simulator BTW)
-each path can be used separately or with the "Y" function, used simultaneously.

Both the Zoom and iPad are output in stereo to 2 Kustom PA50 PA systems for stereo imaging and split acoustic and electric sounds (1 guitar sounds like 2 distinct guitars).

Once I've added the Fishman Triple Play, my setup should likely be one of the most unique out there. Certainly the most versatile (which is important when working in musical theatre).

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I mostly use my Pro 9.7 to watch Netflix, YouTube, etc. The fact that it's like twice as loud as my Mini 3 was makes it worth the upgrade.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Amusement park? I could wear my watch and be notified of what is going on wirelessly, so the phone doesn't help there

Unless the amusement park has no wide open wifi then it's a wrist brick if you don't have your phone.

What service does a phone provide me I can't get from the iPad, or Watch

Installing and configuring apps on that watch.

Not sure you really that post out. I really like my Apple Watch but without an iphone around pretty much at all times it's significantly less useful.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro and a iPad mini 4 that I use to run my business and use it for the same thing you use a desktop computer or a laptop. I do pretty much everything that you do with a regular computer like doing emails, surfing the net, doing books, writing letters, watching videos, etc, etc, etc. I hardly use my computer anymore unless it is something I have to do.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

There is also the fact of range of operating distance between watch and phone. It's Bluetooth and its limited. You can't really leave your phone in the car and go to the mall, thinking it will work while you are in the mall. It won't. Also while I have used my watch to answer calls before in a pinch, it isn't ideal for more than just answering until you can fish out your phone.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
That's absurd. With RARE exception I have my iPad with me all the time. Period. Places I don't take my iPad... bathroom, but I don't use a phone in the bathroom either.... uhm.... Amusement park? I could wear my watch and be notified of what is going on wirelessly, so the phone doesn't help there... What service does a phone provide me I can't get from the iPad, or Watch?

My point is this, why is carrying two device (one in a pocket and one out of it) better than carrying one device out of a pocket, and wearing the other, leaving your pocket empty?

I totally agree with what you are saying in respect to not needing an iPhone (for me, as well, the Mini is my carry device and the iPhone is little more an camera and data collector/router).

However, M. Gustave is correct that we are in a very small minority - by FAR most people still use the phone as their main device.
[doublepost=1470445380][/doublepost]
There is also the fact of range of operating distance between watch and phone. It's Bluetooth and its limited. You can't really leave your phone in the car and go to the mall, thinking it will work while you are in the mall. It won't. Also while I have used my watch to answer calls before in a pinch, it isn't ideal for more than just answering until you can fish out your phone.

It's Bluetooth AND WiFi. If the mall and it's parking lot are covered with the same WiFi connected network, then you COULD leave your phone in your car and carry just the watch.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's Bluetooth AND WiFi. If the mall and it's parking lot are covered with the same WiFi connected network, then you COULD leave your phone in your car and carry just the watch.

I barely works in the backyard if the phone is in the house :)

There are a lot of restrictions to the WiFi connectivity. Won't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi or public networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. Which leaves out a lot of places where I tend to use the phone.

Last edited:

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I barely works in the backyard if the phone is in the house :)

There are a lot of restrictions to the WiFi connectivity. Won't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi or public networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. Which leaves out a lot of places where I tend to use the phone.

My experience is quite different. I can leave my phone at my desk on one end of the building and still get my messages/phone on the complete opposite end of the building. Same experience with others at work.

If you log on to the WiFi network with your phone, your watch can connect. Works great for me!

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I have an iPad and a iPhone. I still need my phone because it is a lot more convenient for making calls and texting. Making phone calls with an iPad not the easiest thing to do. Plus how do people call you on your iPad. I still find I need my phone for business, specially for making and receiving phone calls.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I originally bought the iPad mini as an etext reader, and it's been wonderful for this task, able to handle pdf's and other formats that weren't so easy on eink devices. The text can be a little small, and many have found the Aiir 2 or 9.7" pro better for this, but for me the portability of the mini is worth it.

I also use it for GPS, and that's the main reason I have an LTE mini. Yes a phone can do that too, but the larger map screen on the mini is convenient, while the device is still small enough to be easily portable in the car.

Finally I use the mini for internet, e-mail, or taking notes when I'm on the run. It's nice to have something I can pull out of my suit jacket pocket while I'm waiting in line, to be stowed away easily when done.

I bought the 12.9 inch iPad pro because I'm a teacher, and I wanted something I could hook up to an overhead projector and use as an electronic whiteboard. My students like the way the notes look better than a chalkboard or old fashioned whiteboard, and I can e-mail the pdf of the lecture notes when class is done. While the size of the larger iPad pro is just a little cumbersome, I find it's worth it, as I can write more clearly on a larger device.

The 12.9 inch iPad pro is also worth it as a sketch pad and for writing mathematical notes.

While I wouldn't have bought it for this purpose alone, movies look very nice on the larger iPad pro.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I would not buy an iPad Mini 2. It's going to be obsolete much sooner than an iPad Mini 4.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Unless the amusement park has no wide open wifi then it's a wrist brick if you don't have your phone.

So don't go there. Difficult right?

Installing and configuring apps on that watch.

Because it would be impossible to move that function to the iPad? See, I assumed that if you got rid of the iPhone, you'd do all that from the iPad.

Not sure you really that post out. I really like my Apple Watch but without an iphone around pretty much at all times it's significantly less useful.

Not sure YOU really thought your post out. Please, show me how much less useful an iPad (that is configured to do everything an iPhone can do) and an Apple Watch would be. So far your example is an amusement park that doesn't have WiFi.

That REALLY does NOT make your case.
[doublepost=1470656943][/doublepost]

So when we have tech that doesn't fulfill the job necessary, do we just throw our hands up and walk away... or do we do something else?

Let's see, the fact that the phone had to be physically tethered to a computer was a problem.

What did Apple do about it (Hint: My phone no longer requires being tethered to a computer)?

It's amazing how small minded responses are to my post. I can not for the life of me believe that these are people that are used to Apple's technology.

Apple, that dropped the 3.5 inch floppy
Apple, that dropped the XServe line
Apple, that dropped (is dropping) the CD-Rom drive

An iPad, a watch that can pair with an iPad, and maybe a camera that can pair with an iPad, if that's your thing. HOW do you BENEFIT by being REQUIRED to add another device you have no need of (the iPhone) to that? You get to carry an extra brick.... For why? I've seen a lot of complaints that are EASILY solved, but NOT ONE REQUIREMENT for the iPhone, other than comfort blanket.

But THAT reason does not mean the iPhone is not outdated. That does not change that it is unNEEDED. Great, you want it. Who cares? If you need to carry rocks in your pocket, more power to you, go get an Android.

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So don't go there. Difficult right?

Because it would be impossible to move that function to the iPad? See, I assumed that if you got rid of the iPhone, you'd do all that from the iPad.

Not sure YOU really thought your post out. Please, show me how much less useful an iPad (that is configured to do everything an iPhone can do) and an Apple Watch would be. So far your example is an amusement park that doesn't have WiFi.

That REALLY does NOT make your case.

Yes, don't go anywhere that doesn't have public wifi that isn't already in your keychain. Great idea and not limiting at all. /s

You said you go without the phone now. The point is the ipad does none of these things now.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The thing that makes me mad about Apple, is lack of capability. If they put the "phone" app on my iPad, I wouldn't need a phone anymore (bluetooth headphones, bluetooth vehicle). There's just no reason for me to HAVE to have a phone. I can do it all with one device, and would prefer that.
There are plenty of apps for this. I use Hangouts and Google Voice on all of my devices, so when I'm using my iPad and even my MacBook Pro, I still get all of my calls and texts. The only inconvenient thing about it is that you can't set default apps, so clicking a phone number in another app won't call that number using Hangouts. You have to copy and paste the number.

Otherwise, this works perfectly for me.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Yes, don't go anywhere that doesn't have public wifi that isn't already in your keychain. Great idea and not limiting at all. /s

You said you go without the phone now. The point is the ipad does none of these things now.

AND the point of the conversation is that the iPad COULD be doing these things now, with software changes. How long do you think it would take to make the phone software from an iOS device (phone) work on another iOS device (iPad)? Same with the watch software. 1 day? 2 tops? Why do you pretend like that's unreasonable, especially when I stated EXACTLY THAT IN MY FIRST POST?

How often do you go to places that don't have public WiFi/isn't in your keychain? Actuaries know for a fact it's less than 95% of the time. How? Most (note MOST) people do most (note most) of their traveling within 5 miles of home. Are there occasions where that isn't the case? Yup. About 5%. How much of your time is spent out of coverage (LTE/phone)? I bet it's close to the same.

It would be an interesting question to find a conclusive answer on. Please stop pretending like this is more complicated than it is. What do you suppose would happen if Apple made this shift? Are fewer places going to get WiFi? Are places that have it going to get rid of it? Or do you suppose there would be a run on installing WiFi in public spaces?

We could look at cellphone service as a model for our answer, and then multiply the rate of adoption by difference in cost (how cheap is WiFi versus a cell tower).

I NEVER said this solution would be 100% perfect right this second. We would have to grow into it, just like we've been growing into cell fphones for thirty years, and NO provider has 100% perfect coverage.

Or do you really believe public businesses wouldn't be interested in something that draws customers to them?

Are we done here yet?
[doublepost=1470670223][/doublepost]
There are plenty of apps for this. I use Hangouts and Google Voice on all of my devices, so when I'm using my iPad and even my MacBook Pro, I still get all of my calls and texts. The only inconvenient thing about it is that you can't set default apps, so clicking a phone number in another app won't call that number using Hangouts. You have to copy and paste the number.

Otherwise, this works perfectly for me.
But it's not the phone app. You're using data instead of unlimited phone service (I have T-Mobile). There is a cost involved with using VoIP solutions. Why incur a cost unnecessarily? Really, the phone app should be on the iPad for use there if needed. The other problem I have is that requires letting Google mine my data. WHY do I need another provider when the correct and simpler answer is put the phone app on the iPad?

"What about the built in capability to answer a phone on iOS devices?" One, I STILL have to have the phone with me. Two, I CAN'T be using my service over WiFi. So I HAVE to be using LTE. Which is built in to my iPad, so why the unnecessary device?

Reactions: ericwn

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
But it's not the phone app. You're using data instead of unlimited phone service (I have T-Mobile). There is a cost involved with using VoIP solutions. Why incur a cost unnecessarily? Really, the phone app should be on the iPad for use there if needed. The other problem I have is that requires letting Google mine my data. WHY do I need another provider when the correct and simpler answer is put the phone app on the iPad?
You compensate for this buy buying a little more data, and saving money on voice/texting.

I'll use T-Mobile for example. $50 gets you unlimited talk and text with 2GB of full speed data. For tablets, $50 gets you 10GB of data.

I worked out how many VoIP minutes with Hangouts 1GB would give you a while back, but I don't remember the exact number. I know it was over 1,000 though. Texting uses even less data.

So you get an extra 8GB for the same price on T-Mobile without minutes and texts, which is way more than most people will ever use. Not to mention all calls and texts over Wi-Fi don't use your data at all.

Reactions: Night Spring

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
My iPad and the people that I know are around me all of their iPads even that collects dust and nothing else !

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Why are you two arguing this? If you want to use your iPad as your "phone," all you have to do is get an LTE iPad. (If Apple ever puts the phone app on iPads, that is)

I'm not arguing. What the poster said he does clearly currently renders the watch much less useful

As for what you say, it's ISP dependent, but my LTE pad can already make/take phone calls and do sms and iMessage without the phone and over LTE. I can already do what you describe but none of that has anything to do with the watch issues.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not arguing. What the poster said he does clearly currently renders the watch much less useful

As for what you say, it's ISP dependent, but my LTE pad can already make/take phone calls and do sms and iMessage without the phone and over LTE. I can already do what you describe but none of that has anything to do with the watch issues.

If Apple put the watch app on an LTE iPad, and allowed watches to sync with iPads, then a watch that is paired with an LTE iPad would have the same functionality as one paired with an iPhone.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If Apple put the watch app on an LTE iPad, and allowed watches to sync with iPads, then a watch that is paired with an LTE iPad would have the same functionality as one paired with an iPhone.

That's absolutely true but a phone is needed now.

I've actually just read the thread again and it seems I may owe @kd5jos an apology. I thought he said he was only using the iPad and Watch together now, without a phone. It looks like he said, like you, that it doesn't necessarily need to tied to the phone (an iPad with LTE would do just as well) in the future and that's very true. My apologies to you and him.

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.