What do you know about Amway?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Veldek, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

A woman talked to my girl-friend some days ago, trying to convince her to listen to a great business idea. She didn't want to tell her what it's all about though. Now she called us twice and in the second call, I could get the name "Amway" of her. What do you know about this company?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. Amway is probably the most well known pyramid scheme. Basically the only way to make any $$$ in Amway is to get people to join under you. I got sucked into going to a meeting by my friend and his family (they basically flat out lied to me to trick me into going). It is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever seen in my life. They try to brainwash everyone about how you can be rich and independently wealthy in only a few short years selling amway crap. Argh. I'm still bitter about the whole situation.

Lethal

3. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I read into the idea on their website. The woman already told me that I will find a lot of bad opinions, but this is all the people's fault because they were too lazy.

Reminds me of the part of "King Of Queens" where doug buys this whole lot of water filters from his neighbour...

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a progressive level Ponzi scheme. So's Mary Kay.

I hope they don't have your number; they will call you all the time.

MK got ahold of a roomate of mine; $100 for a "starter kit." She paid. A few weeks later, they wanted her to start carrying $500 of product in stock (paid for by her of course) and replace all the toiletries in the house with MK products. That's when she got out, but the bitches kept calling -- all the time, from different numbers -- for six months.

Amway will sell you seminars and make you think all you need to do to push your sales over the top and start turning a real profit is spend a few thousand on the latest seminar. People's lives have been ruined after they've tapped their retirement, savings, kid's college funds and mortgaged the house to buy more seminars, tapes, marketing materials and products.

Run, don't walk away. If they call you, tell them in no uncertain terms to stop, because they will not relent for months. Put call block on them if you must, or call the phone company and file a complaint.

5. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Uh oh, I hope, this won't come true! But she said she won't call again if we weren't interested and I believe her so far. As we moved a month ago, a new number wouldn't do much harm, So I'm not worried yet.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    I have had experience with a pyramid scheme once, and it wasn't bad at all. i sold Kirby vacuum cleaners door to door for a couple of months. no investment on my part, other than time. it was great fun, and i made a li'l money out of it, only stopped 'cause i got a "real" job. if you have a good rapport, then it may be good for you...Amway have been around for YEARS (internationally too) so it must be doing something right, no?

7. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

my mom and stepdad wasted 5 years with amway, it isnt good it takes yer money and gives it to the people on top of you
    not worth it
    tho i feel bad bad mouthing it when nobody is suporting it, because its not evil, just not as great as it seems
    costco is better

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

*screams*

amway.

shudder.

i have so many horror stories about getting amway pitched to me... those people are good... you can talk to someone for hours before you realize they're setting you up for a sales pitch...

a friend of mine was just almost inducted into a similar scheme... Someone saw her resume on a website, and they called and arranged a lunch meeting with her. Two very young guys took her in their truck to their office in another town... She's new to the area and said yes, but before she got out of town, she realized something was fishy, and told them to take her back. They tried to argue, so she demanded to be let out right there on the sidewalk, and my partner had to go rescue her... Turned out they were taking her to a town over 120 miles away, yikes! They didn't want her to sell vitamins-- they emphasized that-- they wanted her to *recruit* people to sell vitamins. Sounds bloody profitable to me...

i once did a consultation with an architect's firm, one of the employees there kept telling me what a great job i did, and how he had his own small company that he thought i'd be perfect at... he wanted to go live with it soon. I thought it was a great idea, being new to the area myself. So I let him come over to my apartment, and he started off with "this is NOT a pyramid scheme". Then he explained how McDonalds worked for 30 minutes, all the while drawing me a diagram of the system-- which turned out to be, shocker, a pyramid! way to support your case.

it's not all that bad, mostly it's just a lot of naive people that have gotten trapped... annoying as hell... but some of these systems are really vicious... stay away at all costs.

pnw

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Amway...heh...

U know, I wouldn't trust a "business" idea that has to be masked just to get people tricked into hearing about it. :rolleyes:

It's great if u want to piss off your friends & turn everyone u meet into a potential worker. I had a friend in high school who got involved with Amway, who I don't really talk to anymore. I believe he successfully approached everyone he knew to get involved in that crap, and no one wanted to be bothered with the hustling I found that tagged along into it.

He even once tricked me into going to some sort of "money making" seminar by telling me he had something he was working on that he thought my skills would be a benefit to. Being an eager graphic design student at the time, I went along...only to find out it was some crap about "how to make money selling our products." I dug out without him knowing and haven't spoken to him since. :rolleyes:

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

next time they call just tell them your on the national do not call list and you will sue them. that me keep them from calling you.

iJon

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The problem is not AMWAY it self

The problem is the people that joing it and of course a few distorted messages.

They say you can get rich working from your house, in theory the system is gonna produce money for you after several years. The mistake is that lassy people are the ones that make part of ir thinking they are gonna make money without working as hard. The truth is that you won't make as much money and you have no warraty of any kind, besides, products are expensive.

My older brother came to us one day telling us that in 5 years he is gonna be rich, that mean supporting him for 5 more years (in theory) of course 3 month later he dropped Amway and went back to Herbalife and droped for a second time too.

The truth is that no matter what you do you have to work the entire day, call it Amway, graphic design, lawyer, administration, etc. the difference is the ammount of money you are gonna make by the hour, Amway is not the best of them, you have a success % equal to any other business, actually you are gonna make rich the person above you until you find several people that work under you. The difference with Herbalife is that you do not have to buy the products to sell them to some one else (what a difference).

Any way, forget about "magic" business, to be instructed in your field is what is gonna produce money for you period.

12. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

The national do not call list? What is this? IF she calls again, I will start telling her that we informed ourselves and are not interested in this. I hope, that's enough.

We will see, if she tries it again...

13. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Classic BS

All of the previous posters are correct. I recall many years ago some co-worker approached me and gave me the usual spin: "Do you want a new car? Are you happy with your income? blah blah blah..." even insinuating that he "chose" me and wanted to be "my friend". Fortunately, I've been a skeptic from way back in high school, and smelled smoke the minute he opened his mouth.

It's typical that they don't tell you up front what they are talking about. The point is to get you in the door. When I retorted back "Oh, you mean sell SA-8 soap door to door and make you richer on my back?" he shut up. One of the finer moments of my life.

Veldek, buy your girlfriend this...it answers all regarding this Cult of Free Enterprise:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A14721925

14. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Re: Classic BS

Thank you, but I think I already convinced her to not engage in this thing. In fact, it didn't take me much to do so. Furthermore, I don't think she understands enough English to understand the book...;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I remember Amway, we bought some of their products. The products that we purchased worked as promised, no complaints. We were approached by the distributors that we purchased from to join them. They tried to convince us of what a great business venture Amway offered. I never paid the needed fee. My decision against was very simple, no thank you! I have no sales ability!

16. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Me too, I don't have any sales abilities. I remember when a salesperson once visited my parents to sell them one of these Kirby vacuum cleaners. He also tried to convince me that I should also try it, but I refused with above argument. I never got the idea, that it was a pyramid scheme, too.

17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    RUN AWAY!!!!!!

amway is the scariest cult out there.

my wife and i have been accosted by their recruiters twice...( maybe we should dress like we don't need jobs...)

once we got hit-up by their recruiters at disneyland of all places...they have no shame.

we lost two friends to the cult...couldn't stand the constant barrage of "ways to improve our lives". they even gave us an amway gift for our wedding present. arrrggghhh. they used to tell of us hanging out in malls just looking for people to talk to and eventually pitch their crap to.

amway+scientology-branch davidian=guyana punch

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

amway, like 12 step programs, can become cults for some people, but overall they are not a cult as their main entity

the branch davidians, the people's temple, or followers of kip mckeen and his international church of christ are examples of cults from the ground up

amway can work for a very small number of people who are very persuasive and motivated, but for most of us, it's not the way to wealth or even a steady income

i once applied for a major, well known insurance company and they were very much like amway in their approach with persuading other people to join, and for the wrong type of weak minded person, they had a corporate culture that could become very cult-like

one tell tale sign of a cult is if one of the motivations is to make everybody the same, and in the image of the founder or founders and any deviance from that prototype is frowed upon

amway does not expect one to become carbon copy personalities of the two founders like, let's say, kip mckeen, where followers scored the same on personality tests as the cult leader

remember, personality is extraordinarily hard to change a lot in a short period of time, but cults spend their time and energy in being really effective at this type of mind bending...the end result, if followed to the nth degree, is money in the pokckets of the cult founders and leaders

amway does not try and get "all" the monies but some of their overzealous distributors make it seem like they are brainwashed and outsiders might consider it all an illegal pyramid scam

because of amway and the attemp at the federal courts to outlaw all types of pyramids, amways great push to legitimize their form of a pyramid forever made their method legal

btw...i am not an amway person nor do i plan to be...i am just a fascinated outside observer who just read up on it from sources inside and outside and simply observed many an amway person:D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Lucky u. I literally saw this guy I knew years back run people off because they all felt like he just wanted to sell to them, or make them sell for him. It's distorted views such as that, which make a scheme (and I loosely use the word "scheme") such as amway a total negative to the masses. ;)

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think a zealot of any kind can run people off

there are many weak minded people who take things too far and stop thinking for themselves

even traditional organizations have known to aid in making weak minded people go off into some imaginary state...the military has twisted some people as has some corporate cultures

ibm used to have a very strange, cult like way about it in the old days

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's the thing, becoming a zealot about it. It makes total sense though, u get paid to produce. It oversteps the line of friends/family & business I feel, and does it in the most impersonal manner in fact. I've found the type of people who do this sorta thing (as a generalization) to be a bit overbearing in demeanor.

Also, it takes someone with a degree in B.S. I feel...he type to blow smoke up your ass to make u believe something to benefit themselves. :rolleyes:

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my wife is a distributor of a european cosmetic that is set up much like amway on paper...the big difference being they are very low key about growing their business and no person in the group seems to be pushy

my wife sometimes buys her cosmetics there at a thirty percent discount and many of the distributors use it only for themselves and have little or no interest in getting people under them...my wife will never sign on people and if they are interested, she will direct them to their website so they can sign up for themselves under someone else who is interested in making money thru promoting other people

but with amway, their approach is not low key, and even though the business is set up like any multi level marketing organization, the zealots seem to take over in amway and they give the entire organization a bad, cult like name...and then brainwashing becomes all too common and before you know it, a rather clever business plan has become a cult

it's too bad, really, that the nuts have gotten a hold of amway and some other multi levels and turned it into a brainwashing exercise

some traditional cults with long term cult histories have gone the other way as time goes on...there are many jehovah witnesses who live their faith quietly and don't try and push it down people's throats...yet there are those who still are brainwashed and cannot intelligently talk with you unless you are one of them

one of my employees is a jehovah witness, but he does not let it totally alienate himself from his non jehovah family and non jehovah friends...he will go to a doctor if need be...and he is not bigoted against atheists, new agers, or homosexuals

i have met jehovah's witnesses who are really closed minded bigots though and the only person they are hurting are themselves...but there are some right wing born again christians who are totally indistinguishable from the worst any cult has to offer

it is just a tennant of human nature that organizations and groups take over weak minded people and insecure people

23. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

In defense

Well, I can say I am an Amway distributor. Now everything I say here is not a sales pitch nor is it intended to "bring anyone into the fold". My goal is to clear up some misconceptions being voiced here. By this I don't mean to deny any bad experiences you have had. Nor do I intend to belittle anyone, I just want to set the record straight on some points that people are making.

Let's start with the Ponzi scheme or pyramid scheme accusations. First of all, both of those labels indicate something illegal. The FTC ruled that Amway is neither of these and is the model used by the government to judge all other MLM type businesses to determine if they are ideed illegal. If they match up with the standards set by Amway they are allowed to stay in business.

Second, the Do-Not-Call list won't do you jack. You can't sue an Amway distributor that calls you. HOWEVER the corporation doesn't take kindly to people causing problems. If someone is harassing you above and beyond a simple call, report them to Amway corp and the matter will be investigated. Spam email and fax is particularly frowned upon. If you recieve either, please contact the corp.

Third, products being expensive with no warranty. Yes the products cost more than what you will find at the store. HOWEVER they typically last longer and produce more results with less product due to concentration. Amway has been a world leader in environmental issues (especially when it comes to NOT adding to the landfills). Do a little research on this topic and you might learn something. As for a warranty they have the best. For one FULL year you have the option to return any product in whatever state for a FULL refund. No questions asked. Changed your mind, didn't like it, it broke, whatever.

As far as Amway being a cult or populated with nothing but freaks you are wrong and right. Yes there are lots of strange Amway zealots out there. Lots of Mac wierdos too. Ever met a dentist or lawyer or car salesman you didn't like? What about an engineer or accountant? Does that make them all kooks? There are lots of good people that aren't jerk-offs in Amway. Matter of fact most of them are nice people. Yes there are organizations of distributors that have taken advantage of people. HOWEVER, the corporation has cracked down and now there are lots of restrictions as to how/what you can sell people as far as tapes, seminars, etc. Remember Amway is a company and in and of itself not an evil entity. It's the wierdos that try and twist it to meet their own agendas that screw things up and give guys like me a bad name.

Lastly, let's talk about effort and money. Yes Amway requires a tremendous amount of persistance to pay off. But like any means of making money it takes effort. I'd say Amway is easier than your typical 9 to 5 job, but it's a lot harder than watching television in the evening. It takes hard work and anyone that tells you differently is a dope. But it takes a lot less work than it would to move up the corporate ladder. Consistentcy and persistency are the only way to make it happen. As for making money off the backs of the people below you, well nothing is further from the truth. Unless the people below you in the chain are successful and earn money, you aren't going to do very well yourself. The whole point is to help those people succeed. It's really hard to make money in this business on your efforts alone. By getting someone downline to a level of success known as Platinum that person will be earning approximately $2000 per month. As the upline person I would recieve a check for 4-5% of that, but payed SEPERATELY from the corp. not out of the downline person's profit. There are coutless cases of downline people making many times what people above them are bringing in. It's all about effort.

Look, there are lots of jerks in the world. Do you hate all Muslims now because of 9/11? Do you think all authors are evil because Michael Peterson killed his wife (some case I saw on Court TV this morning)? Just because you meet, hear from your brother's sister's uncle's best friend's inlaw, or knew some wierdo Amway person doesn't mean we're all jerks. Actually the vast majority of Amway is not peopled by these brainwashed maggots. You have heard of or run into a very small, but very vocal group that has tarnished a great corporations image.

24. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Provide one real person that has ever spent that much money on Amway.

Please, only a total idiot would do something like that.

If I were to participate in and purchase every single bit of teaching materials or seminars that my organization provides it would take me 40 years to spend that much. Fortunately it's all voluntary and NO ONE can legally force you to buy anything. If you know someone that spent that much on motivational stuff they should have reported their upline to the corporation. If you can't back this claim up with proof don't make it.

And please don't provide me with any of the links to the sob stories. I've read them all. Yes there are ****** Amway distributors out there that will try to take advantage of people, but for crying out loud. How's about some personal responsibility and common sense?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to rile you up or offend you, but this particular charge really annoys me.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: In defense

i totally agree with you

the good, low key amway people who make the whole thing work are not the visible ones

it's the few zealots, some of them high up (supposedly), which give the company a bad name

there are good and bad and most being in between (like any organization)

nothing is black and white and "all" amway people are not mindless brainwashed nuisances