What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dsharits, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I have a "friend" who I have been talking to for a few months now, and tonight things started to get a little shady. I have a few friends in faraway countries that I talk to regularly, and she didn't seem out of the ordinary until tonight. I was talking to her on Yahoo, and she started telling me that she lives in Nigeria, and she sells laptops and phones. She went on to tell me that she was robbed a while ago, and she now gets paid in money orders instead of cash. The longer this conversation went on, the more I kept thnking about the infamous Nigerian scams that come in e-mail from time to time. Below is a copy of part of the log from our conversation tonight. I played along like any other average dumb-person-that-would-fall-for-a-stupid-scam, just so I could see where this went. I don't know where to go with this, so I am calling out to my wise neighbors of MacRumors for your input. Here's the transcript in two parts, since the post is limite to 10,000 characters. (I'm bucsnboltsfan, BTW):

2. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Continued........ :rolleyes:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, this is the most involved version of this scam I have ever seen! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you didn't turn out to have a real friend, there.... :(

4. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

So what do you suggest? I gave her my business address, so it won't be linked to my house. Should I inform the police or somebody when I get the money order? Will the money order be legit?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I have no idea. That's an interesting question.... So she doesn't want any private information about you? Seems innocuous enough to find out.... :confused:

Yeah, I would go to the police. Or maybe the FBI has something for this? If she/he is really offshore, then this is more in their jurisdiction than that of the police, isn't it?

6. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

She said that she would give me the informaton of where to send the money once I got the MO, so I'll have a little bit more to go on then. She didn't really want any private information except what's in that log. the other stuff was just us talking as two normal friends would. I'm not sure if I'm the target in this, or if whoever thinks they are buying a new phone or computer is really getting shafted. I can't really think of any way that I would be getting ripped off, except that I would be an accomplice to the scam. She doesn't want me to do anything but cash the money order and send her the amount that she specifies.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You could contact the FBI. I don't think that I would want to get involved and ignore the whole situation. Kind of scary in a way. She/he certainly went on and one trying to reassure you. If it was legitimate why would that be needed? :eek:

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Are you going to send cash back to her, or a personal check? Sending cash is pretty dangerous, and if you send a check, that's probably how they're going to get you.

Seems like BS, I'd be careful.

9. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

She seemed to be scared of me cashing the MO at a bank, so I doubt she will want a check. I'm going to see what she requests once the MO gets here, but I'm betting it will be cash of some sort.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

damn talk about being a hardcore scammer to talk to you for months then try to get it from you :p

or maybe the persons Yahoo was taken over by another person? is that possible.

maybe i can talk to her and make her really annoyed at me :p j/k

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It sounds like a new form of the same old scam, but jennywill4real took months to chat with you before asking for "help"? That's a big investment in time compared with sending bulk e-mail to locate suckers.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

other than the fact that she sounds like a complete moron, (sorry) I also think that something is very wrong with this situation. if you have her email address, (and hopefully she's emailed you before) check the IP address with geobytes, they can often at least narrow down a location, see if she is at least in Nigeria as she claims to be. even so, this is just too creepy for words, there's next to no way that this is this legit or "real" in any way.

that was just the strangest conversation I have ever read. wow! definitely notify the police, this just isn't right.

trust your gut, it seldom steers you wrong.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

it will first come up with your IP address and location but you can enter in an IP too.

it will AT LEAST narrow down the country

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

that is really bizarre, will you update us when this progresses?

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

this is VERY well stated, VERY well informed and VERY good advice! :)

15. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Thanks so much for all of the advice so far. I'll let you know what happens from here. I should be getting the money order sometime witin the next couple of weeks, so I'll be taking it somewhere to have them look over it.

16. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

17. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I actually met her on christianmingle.com. I talk to a few of my friends there, and I got a message from her one day. We talked for a while and she told me that her trial account was expiring soon, and she wanted to be able to contact me after it was finished, so I gave her my Yahoo address.

18. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I forgot to post this last night. I talked to her again yesterday, and this was the conversation:

Pretty much the same as before, but she needed a little more reassurance, obviously.

Another question is, where should I take this money order to find out if it's real or fraudulent?

19. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

If you do this you won't get in trouble, i can am 100% positive, infact its good if yo do it because here are the options A) its totally legit and you get easy money, or B) its not legit, but the cops will find out and you will be able to help them end the scam, well at least end her part of it.

how do i know this is safe for you?

i live in Vermont, and there was a man here who found a job on monster.com, his job was simply recieving packages and then rerouting them to a Russian Address, he got paid well and the job was simple.
    after doing this for a few months, some cops came to his house, apparently the stuff in the boxes (he never opened them, just resent them) had computer equipment, cigars, wine, etc, that was purchased with stolen corperate credit cards by the Russians, since he had no part in the actual scam, and because his employers told him that is was legit, the only bad thing that happened to him was that he lost his job, he was able to help the cops and they eventually cracked down on the russians w/ help from the FBI i believe.

I think if you do this, you win either way, they have told you again and again that you can trust them (and you have proof as long as you keep the chat convos) you honestly have no reason to believe that this person is doing anything sketchy, they are your friend and a fellow christian, why would they lie like this to you? you a merely a friend helping a friend, you don't need to worry about being unsafe

20. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

That sounds rational. Like I said before, I really can't think of any way that I could be the one getting scammed here. I am not buying the money orders, she has no access to any credit cards or bank accounts and the money isn't coming from me. I'm gonna see what happens when the first money order gets here, and I'll probably just play things by ear from there. Thanks for your advice!

21. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I tried the IP locator, and it wasn't able to find the location. I think it' because I'm behind a router, because the IP address started out with 192.168, which I know is used on Linksys routers. Every IP address on the network starts with 192.168.

22. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Update!!

Here's the log from our conversation yesterday:

Has anybody dealt with Wal-Mart money orders before? Is there a limit on how much they cash?
    Possibly even more interesting is that the tracking number (632780442153) revealed that is was coming from Memphis. Now, I just signed for it, and it is indeed an international shipment, so it must have been originally received in Memphis. It's 3 separate Wal-Mart money orders for $2,300 each. Now, another interesting thing is that she had said previously that she was paid in money orders, remember? Each of these money orders was purchased on July 15th (which would be about right, if her story's true), and they are all made out to me. Now, this could be because they were sent to her blank, but I'm not sure. Below is a picture of the money orders and the shipping envelope. They are all identical (with the obvious exception of the numbers). They really do look real, but looks can be deceiving.

[​IMG]

23. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

She has now told me to send the money in 4 separate transfers, 3 of 2000 and one of 400, and she told me to keep 500. She wants it transferred Western Union to "Adeniyi Laguda, lagos,nigeria". She says that's her P.A.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, I can't believe you've taken this so far. What are you going to do now?