What do you miss most about Mac when you're using Windoze

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonomo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jonomo macrumors regular

I keep trying to use expose whenever I use my PCs at work.... Its so convenient to just mouse on to a corner and have all your windows seperate and resize... I think this is one of the best features about Mac OSX... it would suck if windoze stole this feature for their new operating system....

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

I think Vista has a 3D equivalent of expose.. your Windows will zoom out and line up stacked together I think.

Still sucks if you ask me :D

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i think ou will need a high end PC for the graphics requirements of the "3D ZOOMING". I dont think that this is as efficient as exposé because you have to cycle through the windows.

i miss exposé, obviously:D

S

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Vista isn't out yet. :D

Miss quick search without add-ons to the OS.

Also miss keyboard eject. Don't want to remember a shortcut combo.
    Sucks to reach to the PC to eject a CD. Then again, is there a Windows shortcut for ejecting removable media?

What i would miss most of all is the Command key. I always press it instead of Control on a Windows PC.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

This might sound crazy, but System Preferences, well, actually most preferences.

Whenever I try to change a setting in Windows I always have such a hard time finding it/getting to it that it really makes you appreciate the convenience of system preferences. This becomes extremely apparent when you start networking in Windows and find that the preferences you need are in 5 very different and unintuitive places.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I also like the program preferences, where the keyboard shortcut is almost always cmd+, ; it makes things very easy to know where to go.

As someone who works on a portable, I really like the 'locations' pulldown in the Apple menu. It keeps all of my IP addresses, passwords, preferences, etc. all organized when I go from home to my office to the VPN to wireless on the road. My wife just got back from a trip and I had to reconfigure her PC laptop to get on our home network. Mine, just picked our home network from the menu. Much easier.

Of course, I also love exposé.

7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

What I miss

1/ Quicksilver
    2/ The menubar at the top (this is a fundamentally good thing, I can't think I spent my entire teenage days bashing Mac users for this one (and the one-button mouse) )
    3/ Drag and drop support. It's über counter-intuitive in windows (drag from one app, hover the taskbar for 5 secs, then drop in the target window... Fsck OLE compatibility, Window DnD sucks, big time, I want to drop things on the taskbar!)
    4/ Terminal.app (although Cygwin is great, it's not seamlessly integrated to the OS) and the cohort of unix apps out there.
    5/ Adium.
    6/ Growl.
    7/ My powerbook's sweet sweet keyboard :(

Things I don't miss:
    1/ The Finder! (FTFF!)
    2/ Spending my time cleaning the trackpad because I like my pb 100.1% shiny :p

8. Queso macrumors G4

It's not something that I miss, but a GUI difference that annoys the hell out of me. If I'm using Excel on the Mac with multiple spreadsheets and want to close one, I close the window and the rest are still there. With Excel on Windows, you close the window and it shuts the app down :confused: :mad:

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Definately expose, dashboard, spotlight and dock. I hate having to click start everytime to launch something instead of just taking it off my Dock. In dashboard i miss the translation and calculator widgets and konfabulator doesnt cut it. Expose (thats pretty self explanatory as is spotlight

10. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Exposé. I am always squeezing my mouse at work and getting angry when it doesn't do anything! :eek:

11. steelfist macrumors 6502a

expose, dashboard, and the dock. ussually the interface of OSX

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

1/ Dashboard
    2/ Expose
    3/ my Powerbook's keyboard
    4/ Dock
    5/ The efficiency only a Mac offers

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

As I said in this thread, the worst is the lack of Expose and Quicksilver. Not even remotely productive without those enabled. (This, of course, also applies to other Macs without Quicksilver and with no hot corners enabled.)

Look and feel also annoys me, especially the ugly non-aliased fonts and all applications which tends to open in full screen mode. Using IE is just a pain in the nether regions (front and back). Firefox makes browsing bearable, but the fonts still hurts the eyes.

And I really miss TextWrangler, text editors on Windows are just as bad as the OS.

Securely remove device (or whatever it is called) on Windows is also inferior to all Finder's ways to eject connected devices, in fact the whole System Tray (is that what it's called?) blows.

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

exposé. That one feature makes OSX feels 10 years ahead of Windows. :)

15. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

16. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

another one for expose
    and dashboard (I use the wikipedia widget a lot)
    ease of use
    not having to worry about clicking on a link (love the security of osx)
    the pretty graphics of osx
    the sheer functionality of osx
    i also always find myself trying to use command + (insert key combo here) and not being able to get it to work:(

I try to minimize my windows 'playtime'... even though I am the resident family windows guru....

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Here's another vote for System Preferences. I also miss Exposé, cmd+tab and q combo and a proper bash terminal.

18. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Definately Expose and the Dock.
    Also as mentioned a very cool looking Alt+Tab.
    System Prefs is also another good thing.

19. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Definately Expose and the Dock.
    Also as mentioned a very cool looking Alt+Tab.
    System Prefs is also another good thing.

20. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

If you look closely, you'll notice that there are two 'x's in the top right-hand corner of Excel (in every Office app, actually). If you click the outer-most one, it closes the app, but if you click the inner 'x' it will simply close the active document.

21. hardon macrumors regular

everything :)

it feels like cheeting on your wife with a tart you picked up on a lads night out!!

i love my wife but the tart could be full of viruses (Diiirty)

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I am as of recent missing my scroll ball from my Mighty Mouse. This wheel don't move left and right.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Font smoothing (ClearType sucks)
    2. Exposé
    3. Zoom (Maximize is so useless to me now.)

24. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz