What do you REALLY think about Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Foxer, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Probably done before but, do you really hate Microsoft and if so, why? (Also, see the other thread I'm starting about why Microsoft "won.")

To be totally honest, I don't hate Microsoft. As a Mac user, I am deeply wary of them, but I don't have the daily exposure that I think would engender genuine ire. I know that Apple is safe, probably, since Microsoft needs to point at the 5%-10% of us in order to claim they aren't a monopoly. Otherwise, Apple would likely have dissappeared some years back.

I use Windows and work (as I type, ironically) and it's adequate. I'm glad I don't have to go under the hood (as I always did when I used a PC in 90's), and OS X is not only better, its actually fun. Windows is still, as i see it, a utilitarian tool, as it was in version 3.1 and before. Does anyone know someone who thinks Windows is fun? I doubt it.

I my personal life, I deal with MS only when I want to. Office X is fine, and better than any alternative. We should all be very greatful for it, in fact, since it allows Apple Sales people to reasure want-to-be switchers that their old files will be fully readable on a Mac. I use a MS mouse, beacuse I like them. I play Age of Empires beacuse it is fun.

The fact that MS ripped-off Mac OS does really bother me. But didn't Apple let them by signing that agreement way back when? And didn't Apple "borrow" the whole GUI (or wahteer it is) from Xerox first? Sure, Apple has gone on to be innovative over the years (iApps, iMac, the list goes on...), while the Windows world continues to be, basically, reactive. But does anyone try to give MS credit for being innovative in the first place?

In short, Microsoft doesn't grate on me as badly as it does on some of us. I hope I'm not wistling past the graveyard, so to speak, but we've all found a way to live a life fairly free of the "evil empire."

I'm sure that the sebsequent posts on this thread will persuade me otherwise.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I can only endure their presence.

I'm a developer and I don't compete against Microsoft, so I'm pretty safe in contrast to those who have competed. I've heard of others who had great technology and resisted Microsoft's desire to share where hurt either physically or had other life-changing circumstances that led them to stop developing entirely.

Then, there are situations such as that with Windows 3.0 and DR-DOS 5.0, and again with Windows 3.1 and DR-DOS 6.0 where MS intentionally looked for something that not in MS' or IBM's versions of DOS in order to coerce users into abandoning DR-DOS. 86-DOS, which became MS-DOS was a clone of CP/M (the forebear to DR-DOS) anyway. MS should have been paying Digital Research royalties to use DR's ideas.

There was the time when they worked with STAC to add drive compression to MS-DOS 6, decided to forgo it, broke the contract, then put the code in anyway. STAC won their case against MS but there are thousands of others like this.

The only thing to like is that they can market anything and quite frequently do.
  3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I hate the company, I only use Windows to run games. But I do run MS Office out of choice because it is the best, this is the way Microsoft should make people use its software, bu making it the best, not by forcing people to use it because it is the only choice.

I finaly get why Star Trek fans call M$ the borg, M$ has never invented a single thing, they ether copy or buy up other companies.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i dont hate them at all. i mean i dont like xp as much as mac os x. they make great mice, office is great. xp is a big step forward. xbox beats out the competition in every technical field, they have some awesome games. if apple would have been smart and copyrighted there os we all would be at windowsrumors.com talking about why we hate apple.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I'm not sure if I can trust them, I don't mind registering with Apple when I first install OSX because their customer loyalty has been proven (for the most part) and they're not going to screw you over in a big way (liscencing schemes, WMP spying on you, etc etc..) but with MS it's a different story since they've been shady in the past and all signs point to that they're not going to stop anytime soon...

I'm not a gamer so I don't really need Windows for anything OSX can't do, I just can't afford to replace my whole computer setup right now.[​IMG]

I think they make decent products, it's their overall business strategy I have a problem with.
  6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    Overall, I don't have many problems with Microsoft. I don't care for their marketing strategies, but I do like the software of theirs that I have worked with.
  7. bentmywookie macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2002
    Palo Alto

Would you mind elaborating further on this (not because I don't believe, but because it seems really interesting)? I just had no idea that MS did/does this. Physically harmed or otherwise, man. I am so curious to know about it, if you don't mind saying.
  8. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    microsoft's products are so-so. the only two MS products i use are office and age of empires II. i have a gateway with windows 98 on it, and it has always had problems. Like vniow said, it's their corporate phillosophy that i can't stand. they are predators. the way they tried to kill netscape back in the day was sad, the way they sabotaged opera a couple years ago was pathetic, the way they stole the GUI from apple because there was a soda jerk running the company was brilliant opportunism. ballmer scares the piss out of me, gates is like the benevolent demigod.
  9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    My deep emotions of Microsoft:

Microsoft is a corporate defenition of "people". They feed off its supporters, who have to look up to the leader, Bill Gates, in order to continue to succeed in their own lives, while the leader, Bill Gates, only cares about himself and those he wants to care about.
  10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i'm exceedingly liberal when it comes to business practice-- most times, i think the government shouldn't be sticking their noses in private industry. but in this case, MS has grown to such huge proportions that they impact the entire global economy, and it's usually a mediocre or even bad influence. MS thrives in the absence of competition, which admittedly many companies do, but they don't kill their competition through unfair business practice.

So no, i don't really think MS is evil or BG is the antichrist (well, okay, a little)... but i do think that the company's negative impact far outweights it's positive impact on the world.

they also work hard to decrease privacy, which infuriates me. between palladium and some of the other stuff they've tried to do, and done, it's kind of sickening that the world accepts it without question or even a second glance at other companies (like apple :))

11. Potus macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2002
    I bought MicroSoft works for my first computer an SE. In comparison to the appleWorks suite that came with my mac the MSWorks was a nightmare. Buggy. Cranky. And hard to use. I've hated them ever since.
  12. billyboy macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    I dont care for Microsoft because Windows gives my dad so much hassle. He really needs a user friendly set up and the poor bloke has so many complications doing simple things on a PC.

My mum nearly had a fit when he started ogling my Mac. She sees the money invested in the Windoze kit and wont sanction a switch. He sees a nifty little iBook as the way ahead in the next phase of retirement. He will get his way, but only because the PC will probably go pop for no good reason.
  13. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    i asked my cousin - who uses windows - if it is morally more acceptable to work as a stripper or for M$. she said stripper, without any doubt.

so far none who i've asked that had answered M$.

14. Potus macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2002
    This is so funny! Thanks. I really needed a laugh after an extremely difficult day.
  15. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.

How low would a stripper for MS be?
  16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
  17. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    I love their mice.

I'm ambivalanet about their Mac products.

I hate their Windows products (from the OS on up).

I abhor their licensing schemes.

I am revolted by their business practices.
  18. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    wow, that is exactly how I feel! I love my 2 MS mice (mouses?)
    but I hate their software (how ironic - I hate the software companies
    software, but like their hardware :D).
  19. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    They will lose companies in DROVES because of their stupid practices.

People like my dad will have two choices...

Linux which isn't easy (for him)

Of course he'll stay with Linux and try to call me while I'm on an aircraft carrier to help him. :rolleyes:
  20. phampton81 macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    I really can't stand M$, I dont want to exaggerate, but I have had problems upon problems with my PC while my eMac has been rock solid. My PC just seems to want to crap out every time I change/install something new. And how hard is it to really figure out where all your hard drive space is going.....I have no clue
  21. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002

They require their hardware partners to jump through enormous hoops (ever notice how most HARDWARE has the Windows SOFTWARE sticker on it) in order to promote alternative OSes, and this led to the ultimate death of several upstart operating systems.

Then there's the IE integration argument.

Then there are numerous companies which were litgated to death, without just cause, but also without the means to fight.

Then there are oodles 'borrowed' ideas, which throttled the competition, without fair recompense (kinda like Apple did to the Watson guy).

To say that they don't kill their competition is a bit of stretch...
  22. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I like MS products, but not many of their business practices.

To those who say: "MS doesn't inovate"

-Win95 - TaskBar = OS X Dock
    -Win3.1 - File Explorer = OS X Finder (In some ways).
    I'm sure there are more.

To those who say: "My PC is always broken"

Chances are, you are using crappy hardware, and has very little to do with the OS. If you start with well made hardware (you'll have to do the research yourself), you'll have stability that rivials the fabled Mac. I have a self built dual athlon system, running Win2k Pro, that literally has never crashed. This system is my main system at home, I game, surf the internet, program, and more. My TiPB G4 500 Mhz running OS X has crashed a number of times.

My TiPB is the only computer I've ever owned that has ever needed to be sent in for repair. Firewire stopped working, they replaced the logic board, 4 months later, broken again.

As for the business practices. Wasn't Apple one of the plaintiffs involved with the IE monopoly lawsuit? Are they not now integrating Safari into their OS X? Did you know that several business died with the release of iTunes? How many businesses died because of the other iApps?

Do I like the licensing schemes MS is implementing? NO. I also don't like the privacy intrusions being developed by MS. It is driving be to Linux. If I weren't a self-built computer junky I might consider Apple as an alternitive.
  23. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    This forum is for people who actually LIKE Macs! Mac-bashers are unwelcome!:mad:
  24. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    that isn't true. People who don't contribute to this site
    positively are unwelcome. I hope you were being sarcastic,
    because that was being rude. You can't say someone is
    unwelcome at this site because he defended MS, especially
    when 90% of the things he said were true. Plus - did he ever
    say he didn't like macs? No... He said his tiBook has broken
    more than any other computer of his. Don't insult, make
    generalizations, or make claims for other people (ie don't say
    that he is unwelcome to the whole community when people