Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
The other day a few of my friends got together and said what computer are you getting for school? I replyed i just got a 15" powerbook (and listed all the specs, cause they are comp geeks) And they said why a mac? I stated that for what i plan on doing (video editing) its the best. Plus it won't crash, doesn't have virues ..etc.......
I was just woundering what you say when you get into these "heated" arguments over mac and pc....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I say," What does a pc do what a mac can't besides games?" Then they come at me with the speed of the cpu. I say," I would see why AMD is slower but, kicking the ass out of Pentuims." Then they hit me with the price. I say," You get for what you pay for. A cheap dell for example breaks all the time. A $800 mac doesn't break on its own. It will break by the user." Then they put there tail betwwen there legs and scamper off. But, some say bogus things that I can't answer.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I would never compare notebooks when it comes to Macs and others....I can see the PB and iBook being superior.
But I can see PC being better at many things. I am not just talking performance, but the modifications, personalization and choice cannot be compared to anything that Apple computer provides (at this time).
My desktop is nothing like anyone elses'. I can clearly say that even though there are millions of computers out there. Can any of the Mac users say this? (don't point out scratches and such)

The point is to not compare the differences to see which is superior, but what fits your life style and telling the others go bugger off unless they have learned Mac and its OS and know from personal experience that it is inferior, they have no right to judge anything.
Simple ignorance scares them and they in return attempt to degrade what they fear.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Honestly, no one's made a disparaging comment to me. Perhaps I hang with a cooler crowd. ;) Honestly, though, I wouldn't care if someone did say something, and my reply would probably be that it was a matter of personal choice. People that don't "get" Macs aren't going to be convinced by anything, and those that do don't need to be told.

However, that doesn't mean I'm above being a bit deceitful around someone who talks smack about my Mac...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Seems to be that they are not computer geeks but computer trolls... :D

I think a comp. geek should know differences already and in case of a discussion, it should be around virus - worms - hackers - crashes ... IMO, those are only wannabe windows geeks (trolls)...

I hate when people start being critical to something/someone they don't know :p :p ...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
hohum, got into one of those "PC vs Mac vs Linux" discussions on the official NWN2 forums yesterday. Basically it came down to all the Windows users telling the Linux users to dual-boot and telling all the Mac users to buy PCs. Basically it came down to Linux users griping about not wanting to sell out $300 for a boot-loader (Windows) and Mac users not wanting to send $1000 for a game console. The discussion was, of course, over NWN2 being coded in DirectX instead of OpenGL and how the code portability is lost in doing so. The NWN2 programmers came in an explained that they had to go with DX because OpenGL 2.0 wasn't finalized yet or something.

Anyhoo, I basically replied by saying "Hey, I use a Mac because my major is dominated by them - because Graphic Designers can't afford to have their source of income out of commission for a few days due to Spyware/Viruses/Worms. Windows just doesn't/can't do that and I'm not about to waste my money on a Windows Box just to play games." Then I said something to the effect that if NWN2 is released on the Mac, they get my $50 - in not they don't get my $50.

Well, eventually I may be a Windows Box for games... Depends on how good my career will be on me once I'm out of college ;P

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If a PC user asks another PC user what computer he has, he'll probably just say, "Okay." When a PC user asks me what computer I use, they'll usually give me an enthusiastic, "Oh, okay!" as if they're very slightly shocked and unprepared for my unexpected answer.

Nobody ever says anything bad, but if they make a joke, they'll usually follow with, "Naw, I think Apple is pretty cool."

People I know aren't the type to care about something so trivial, but they think its cool when I say that I like using my Mac. People don't generally care as long as it's cool with you. If people you meet are the type to generally give you crap about your computer, get a cooler set of friends. :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The best suggestion would be not to get in argument with your friends. Just tell them what you purchased and leave it at that. As they see what you are able to do with your machine, there minds will be changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.