What do you see in the iPod Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, Jun 19, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

I can't quite understand why the Mini has taken off so well. It's not like the regular 20 Gb iPod is so huge you can't lug it around-- it's smaller than most cell phones. Nor is it ugly and boring (I actually think it's better looking than the mini but that's just me). Nor is there a price difference of 50 bucks vs. 300 or something (sure, I'd get something tiny to toss in a bag if it were really cheap). For only $100 less you're getting 4 gigs of music vs. 20 gigs of music, just a couple of inches larger. Why would you want to have that much less music for just $100 savings? I guess for me it's all about the music. But I still can't understand why anyone would buy one. Insights?

2. wide macrumors 6502a

i have an ipod mini, and i regret the purchase :(.

sure, it's smaller and doesn't scratch as easily, but i think the classic silver and white combination is the best. also, my music collection has been growing substantially due to an iTMS gift certificate, and soon i will not have enough room in my mini to house my entire music collection.

i personally like the touch buttons above the scroll wheel more than the mini's clickwheel. i really don't know why the mini is so successful. i think it is because the iPod has not seen an update (excluding HD sizes) for such a long time (more than a year now), and people were really looking forward to a new design in january at MWSF, so apple was able to make the mini look like the next great gadget. i think the fact that is bears the name "iPod" is also a contributing factor to its success. like i said, i regret the purchase. the 15 gigabyte is a much, much better mp3 player and a much better deal too. (just my opinion, you can't change it so you might as well not argue. i would like to hear other mini users opinions though....)

3. Bhennies macrumors 6502

It's called marketing and trendiness. i think that I would buy an ipod mini for 125 bucks. That would be great. But for 250? Ridiculous. Either way, my 30 gig is over 2/3rds filled up.

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I agree. It's a total impulse-buy product. It's designed for people who think about looks, not functionality. (And those with more money than I've got) It's really dumb to spend $250 on something when you can get 11gb more for just $50

5. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

And in person, at least to me, it doesn't feel or look or seem much smaller than the normal iPod! I expected it to feel and look much smaller than it does :rolleyes:

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm a happy 40GB owner, but I can see the appeal of the Mini. Some people aren't interested in taking *all* of their music with them. For a trip to the gym, it holds a lot more than a CD, and tucks away a little better.

While hard to believe, not everyone has a billion songs that they want with them at all times. Different markets for different people.

As far as price goes, the iPod is certainly overpriced in my opinion. BUT, in the opinion of the millions of domestic/international backorders, the price is worth it.

Some people want to pay extra for a Mercedes convertible when they can get a Volvo station wagon that holds more. Hmm....

7. wide macrumors 6502a

Maybe Microsoft's new offerings will force Apple to reduce the price :D

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's smaller, the control layout's better, IMO, and it doesn't scratch easy and it ain't plastic like the regular. I'd hit the current mini... when a higher capacity model comes out and the price drops a little.
    Yeah, right, in your dreams. Apples doesn't reduce prices unless they need to move overstocks in preparation for new revisions or updates.

9. Amani macrumors member

Amani

I have to concur. The Mini is overpriced and I would grow out of it in about a month. I don't mean this as a put down, but I bet the sells of the Mini are probably higher among women buyers. It more of a fashion statement than a dedicated hard drive for serious storage. My wife wants a Mini, but she's really not a computer user. So you see, it seems to be targeted at folks who are not heavy computer users or MP3 players. And why have a Pod if you can't put your entire music library on it. That's the entire point of having it, isn't it?

10. furrina thread starter macrumors regular

And I thought I was gonna get yelled at :rolleyes:

Thing is, I DO spend tons of money on things just because of their looks. And yes, I'm female. I was just looking at them again, and I was like, "gee, I guess they are kinda cute." But then I see the capacity. I'll buy cell phones just because they look cool (provided they have the basic features I need). and I'm used to spending a bundle on apple products because I'm a diehard mac person. I was amazed at how great a gadget the iPod was when the second gen. came out, tiny and cute, backlight, no moving parts, and...there's a 20 GB hard drive in there! I've had mine for a year (actually i got the 15 two weeks b4 the 20 came out at the same price
    :( )

And I don't want to put my whole CD collection on it, though I don't think I coudl put my CD collection on any existing MP3 player. I occasionally DJ with it. Having a little one would just be an extra step because I'd have to keep rotating the files. I guess I'm a packrat.
    I take it to the gym no problem, it's way smaller than my CD player. Note that the 40Gb is actually (noticeably, to me) bigger than the others.

And as far as it being a status product, status products usually have some real advantage, like they actually are more "premium" in their functionality, so I don't quite understand that part of it either. And the things can't stay on the shelves. I think a lot of teens get them for gifts, ones who don't really care how much the thing holds.

11. wide macrumors 6502a

C'mon, Microsoft has messed up so many products that they cannot afford to release a bad device. If it gets a decent review, I'm buying it.

The reason Microsoft will make high-capacity HD drive players so cheap is because they own enough hard drive manufacturers to make them cost $0.02.

And for the record: a dream with any Microsoft product is a nightmare in my book ;)

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

well, mine was a gift, so I can't complain about the price. Having said that, I have had a first gen iPod for a couple of years and I actually prefer the mini's control setup. It is the best I have seen, IMO. The first gens were well designed, but my friend bought a third gen, and I bought one for my nephew for graduation, and I don't like the touch buttons above the scroll wheel. Anyway, that is just my opinion. I think the mini is a good idea simply because it gives us more choices as iPod enthusiasts. just my 2 cents.

13. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I am in Europe where the mini isn't available yet.

Once it is, I will buy the mini.

Why?
    Because I don't need 40 gigs (not ever 10!). The iPod is not designed to be used as external firewire HD (it heats up rapidly when transferring large quantities of files). Therefore, it's for music only. And my music collection is currently 3.5 GB. Sure, I could start ripping all CDs I have. But where's the point in doing that. Where's the point in carrying your entire music collection with you all the time? Sure, it's handy. But I don't listen to all of my music all the time. For instance, for a while I feel like listening to one kind of music only. Perhaps the week thereafter I feel like listening to another type. But if so, where's the problem and putting the new music onto the iPod then? How long does it take? 5 minutes?

Hence, I don't need the space. Geez, I would even buy a 2 gig iPod mini if it was available (for a lower price, of course).
    Therefore, I have other criteria for buying an iPod: size and looks. And these are definitely the strengths of the iPod mini!

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Love my mini!

I've had my mini since February, and I think it was totally worth the price. It's small formfactor makes it feel more robust than the regular (h*ll, I even dropped mine down a concrete staircase and it didn't scratch or dent - it just played happily on...).

The cool factor is also there, but as I have it in a pocket most of the time, and use Koss headphones, that isn't a big issue for me. I love the green metallic over the pure white, and have even considered to have my iBook coloured...

As space goes, I have roughly 12.5GB in my iTunes Library, and have no need for carrying all those 3000 songs with me. I've made a couple of playlists, some normal and some smart ones, and sync those whenever the mini needs more power (every other day). These are the playlist I would have listened to anyway, even if I had room for all my music.

All in all: The mini suites me just fine, it looks better is more robust and even costs less than its bigger brother, the regular. I love my mini.

15. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Ok maybe its just me but i dont think theres anything appealing about the way either one looks, the Ipod looks to blocky for the times and the Mini is jsut to hard; lacking the smooth curves of its big brother. What i'd like to see on the other hand would be an Ipod that mirrors the style of the PowerBook, then maybe i'd consider it.

What Apple really needs to give it is a color screen, i mean geez, its hard to find a mid range mobile that doesn't have one and they are much cheeper than an Ipod! Add to that the bad things i've heard about the battery life which makes me think why bother, sorry to be the pesamist but the Ipods need a serious rethink!

Mark.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are right, it is size and cuteness. That i want it factor. And consumers always pay for that. Just look at the auto industry and you'll find examples of that all over the place.

Dumb? Maybe for you. I think it is dumb to buy a car for over $22k. I think it is dumb to want an SUV that can run the war zones of Iraq, when the toughest road they see is Rodeo Drive. I think it is dumb to pay more than $30 a person for dinner. I think it is dumb to pay $8 to $12 to see a movie in a theater, when the DVD will be out in 3 to 6 months in most cases today.

Not trying to slam you personally. But the consumer is king. They vote with their dollars. I don't care if the iPod Mini outsells the iPod 10 to 1. As long as Apple still produces the iPod. For you and I look for value in this one instance.

17. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I don't need a mini, can't afford one and can't justify getting one. However I'm sure I will be first in line when they are finally out over here (UK).

I hate the way my 20gig 3G ipod gets scratched up the whole time, and the fact it just feels to thick when its in a skin (I couldn't take the 40gig its just not the right dimensions). The skin additionally gives it an unpleasant feel and makes it hard to slide into a pocket etc. My iPod is great if I'm working away from my computer or going on holiday etc, but I don't need 20 gig for going to the gym, shopping or commuting. The fact the mini is smaller and more durable wins the day. Plus the fact they're kute :eek: I'm not sure that a guy can pull off a pink one though :rolleyes:

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would agree that part of the success, is the coolness of it. It is somewhat of a style purchase. But here is the real secret to its success.....

NOT EVERYONE HAS 10, 20 or 40 GIGS OF MUSIC.

Some people have under a gig, and what a great MP3 player. They also want one with style, and easy of use. Hello iPod Mini. I wouldn't want to lug around a larger iPod, which is slower, bulkier, anf has less battery time, when I can get a Mini, for cheaper, and it looks alot cooler!

To answer the question, the reason the iPod Mini is so successful is beacuase it fills a niche in the market that no one had previously addressed adequatly.

19. Tom Morello macrumors newbie

I might get a Mini, it depends on how my current iPod is at the time, I got it a year ago, and how much money I have etc.
    When do they Minis come out in the Uk?
    I'd get a pink one. :D
    Plus, I've burned most of my Cd's onto my hard drive plus about 100 tracks I've downloaded and I've used less than 2 Gb's.
    I used to have about 6 Gb's I think before I lost all my files, and I'm only downloading music that I really like this time, so buying a mini might not be a bad idea.

20. Amani macrumors member

Amani

Well, I would look at this way. If you're a serious computer user, you'll probably want to use your Pod for more than music. Backing up documents, photos, and audiobooks are a great way to use a 10, 20, or 40 gig Pod. Of course, if you just got lots of mula, you can buy the Mini for style, and an original Pod for backup and higher levels of music storage.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I want a iPod Flash player. Something that I can place my own memory in rather than have built-in memory. Also I don't like the hard drive being in something that I run with. Battery life would be double, the size of the iPod would be half the size of the iPod mini, and the price would be under $100 bucks if they didn't try to have a large memory card in it. I would personally prefer Apple didn't sell it with memory but people would scream about it so it would end up being a $200 dollar player with memory from Apple. If it didn't have memory, you can use your existing memory from my digital camera and save money.

I probably a miniority in just wanting something that is small and memory based that holds an hour or two of songs. But I can only run for about 2 hours most mostly 45 min runs and I typically like to play 2 or 3 of my favorite songs and have them repeat in the same workout anyways.

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i don't think people should put so much emphasis on ipod updates, apple does what they can when they can but mp3 player models can last on the market for a year with only hard drive upgrades very easily. The first ipod model was introduced in like november 2001 and wasn't drastically changed except for hard drive upgrades until MAY of 2003 so i mean a year and three quarters isn't that long

23. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Well if you remember when they came out everyone was down on them then. I was one of those people who also thought that for the price, the mini was absurd. Especially compared to regular iPods. But I recently came into a mini and I'd have to say that I find it to be well worth the money. I have more music than will fit on the mini, but In a given day I might only be interested in listening to half of it and have the time to listen to about 2 percent of it. So 4 gigs is more than enough. I haven't even filled it up.

What's weird is that when I go back to my regular iPod it feels like a monster and I can't believe I ever carried it around. The physical size is the most attractive part of owning one (to me). I can throw it in my pocket and not even realize it's there.

I still love my iPod, but I think the mini is awesome.

Matt

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The iPods are consumer products for listening to music. "Serious" computer users can buy external HDs with much higher capacity for lot less than any of the iPods, minis or regulars. I myself has one old 2.5" 6GB in an USB case and a 2.5" 20GB in an FW case. These are leftovers from HD upgrades on a Pismo, but even if I had to buy them a typical 20-60GB 2.5" disk with a case AND a mini is still cheaper than a 40GB iPod. If you tolerate a bit bigger case for the HD and get a 3.5" disk you can probably get a 200GB disk and a mini for the cost of a 40GB iPod...

25. lefty111 macrumors newbie

iPod Mini

I have really enjoyed my iPod Mini. I balked originally at the price, but got a $50 Apple gift certificate for Xmas, so I considered it a $200 purchase. The Mini is great for joggers. I don't like the Mini armband, feels like a tourniquet. Because the Mini has rounded edges, I can carry it in hand easily while jogging. Easier to handle in this regard than the iPod.

Also, my entire music library, including a long Stephen King audio book, only takes up 3 GB. Even if I exceed 4 GB, I can't imagine needing to carry all of it. I can only listen to one song at a time! Whether you prefer the original iPod or the iPod Mini, both are great products!