What Do You Think About Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'Community' started by maluscanis, Mar 21, 2003.

1. maluscanis macrumors member

I was reading the forums today and noticed this topic as an aside in someone's post. So here is the question and please do try to keep this one on track:

"Is capital punishment right or wrong? Why?

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

all depends on scenarios.

Post then and we will answer.

edit: aint this political?

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I have a feeling we're on track to set a new "most threads closed in one week" record on Mac Rumors.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this seems like a moral issue to me. i think it's iffy, and fine here as much as in the polit. forums. it's not a party platform discussion :D.

anyways, i have no moral issues with capital punishment, but i think we might as well just give people life. it's not like death by lethal injection is any worse than a life in prison, and as elaborate as things have become with the death penalty, it's probably not much more expensive to give a life sentence. I do have a problem with that though. I don't appreciate that i will have to give any part of my taxed money to support unrepentant murderers, or their executions. that doesn't make any sense to me.

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Depends on the crime. I judge by whether or not I would kill someone for committing the crime against my family. For example, if someone raped a member of my family it would be all I needed to bring myself to go after them. In such a case, you best hope the law gets to you before me, cuz I won't be humane about it.

Then again, how often do we find out someone we hold for murder was actually innocent? Often enough to make me nervous about killing. Evidence has to be conclusive.

Dan

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you can hold capital punishment for those you can prove without any doubt and to a much higher standard than that used today -- fry em.

Catch somebody on camera, absolute DNA proof with a boatload of evidence, etc. -- do it.

But when the case is put together with smoke and mirrors, and/or there is a possibility that the person could be innocent -- no way.

If a witness, or anybody lies and it is discovered that an innocent met with a death sentence -- fry them.

And it shouldn't matter if someone has run through there appeals or files too late, if there is any chance that DNA can prove somebody on death row innocent it should be used to free them -- on the states dime.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree 100% with sun baked, also i think spanking is also good but only when absolutely needed.

8. Potus macrumors 6502

To teach you that killing is wrong the State kills someone.

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i mostly agree with what you said, but what do we do in this situation? give them life? is that any better? i don't think we fry people anymore either, lol ;)

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

we usually make a distinction between society making rules with consequences that must be enforced to protect the integrity of society and also must be severe enough to deter prospective criminal, and actions by single human beings taking the law into their own hands, or simply killing in cold blood, or torturing. your statement doesn't reside in logic, but rather in feeling. you stepped over all the circumstances.

11. Potus macrumors 6502

Perhaps the distinction you posit is specious. Moreover, no study has ever shown any deterrent affect by the imposition of capital punishment. Of course proponents will argue that the person executed will not kill again. Nothing is more cold blooded than the state taking a life. The elements of planning the procedure and the method of carrying it out are of course logical. Nevertheless the purpose lies in the desire for revenge. The need of society to protect itself can be satisfied by life sentences.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At some point the decision has to be made by the state on where to spend their scarce resources.

The continued build up of a stacked prison system begins to take a toll of money available for other programs, at some point pressure is exertered to cut the budget.

Keeping somebody in prison for life costs money, death row is very expensive (so is an innocent on death row) in legal expenses, rehab & release can be expensive if it fails (in terms of potential lives destroyed or lost).

It's where to balance the cost in dollars and lives, if the jury knew what it would really cost based on estimates (in terms of life and economics) -- would their decisions be the same?

Planting them quick is cheap and frees up money for other programs... but is it right?

Deterence is nice, but the state runs on a budget (or at least they're supposed to).

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

(To me, this is not political what-so-ever - political people just
    get to make these discisions for us. :rolleyes: )

I think capital punishment is a good thing. Despite the few flaws
    (which could cause the execution of others) it helps everyone
    overall. All tax payers are paying to keep the people in jail alive,
    and if there aren't as many people in jail, then we pay less. Its
    flaws can be worked on, but overall I think it is a good thing.

There are very valid arguments for both sides though.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

scem- in many cases, it costs more to execute someone than it does for life in prison.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

but it doesn't have to. That was one of the flaws I was talking about.

I really don't know much of the subject, so correct me if I have
    my info wrong, or am erring in any way. ;)

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm not sure what most of those costs come from. but i would guess a lot of it is the paperwork and such that is involved with all the appeals and pleas for clemency and such. so unless you want to do away with those, it wouldn't get a ton cheaper. and if you got away with those, well then, i'd have a huge problem with that.

i am against it in general. something about thou shalt not kill......

17. Potus macrumors 6502

Why not just summarily execute anyone we think might commit a crime?
    We could really save a lot of money that way: cut out the cost of courts, trials, incarceration, etc. etc. And we'd eliminate a lot of crime, too. If many of the people who are killed are innocent? Oh well. At least I'll save a few bucks.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We need to have reform in the appeals process. In most cases in the 21st Century DNA can prove guilt to a certainity. Appeals should be limited to 3 years or less.

I'm for the Capital Punishment!

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

a 'rule' that most of them have already broken.

Yes, to kill them would make us no worse then they are, but we
    aren't just 'killing' them. We are trying to punish them.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

saddam's gassed his own people. shall we do the same?

hammurabi's "eye for an eye" doesn't hold up anymore.

edit: potus likes to use big words.... dumb it down for me. ha

21. Potus macrumors 6502

So it he exculpatory evidence is found after 3 years or if the State (as Texas is doing right now) is destroying potentially exculpatory evidence, it's ok to execute the person?

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

hey if it is a rock solid case get rid of em, i dont want to have my tax dollars keeping these killers alive. If you have to do it humanely then do so. Just think a building,food clothes guards etc this costs a lot then let govenment do it and it costs even more.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Although this is a very........cadaverous...... and pestilencial idea,
    I kind of agree with it. I probably wouldn't if it was me who
    they wanted to kill, but it's not, and hopefully it will never be. ;)

I had to have big words to match him. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

not to mention, there isn't enough space in jail anyways.
    At least in Texas there isn't. Jails are overcrowded, and keeping
    people there who don't need to be there is counterproductive,
    and unnecessary.

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

jails are overcrowded because of the lopsided treatment of offenders... a petty pot arrest can get more years than a white collar criminal robbing people of millions of dollars....