What do you think about Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrxguy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I am exploring all the software and extras mac's have to offer and i was wondering if i could get some opinions on the mail prog Entourage

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm interested in people's input here, too. I'm about to begin a project that is going to require some intensive calendar and scheduling tasks, and I do not know if Mail and iCal are up to it.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I try not to think about it too much.... :p

Seriously, I used Microsoft Entourage (which you can only get as part of the Microsoft Office bundle) for years. Its ability to make Rules is reasonably good.

It stores all of the mail and attachments in one large database file, and does not purge deleted items effectively to reclaim space. Periodically, the database gets corrupted and you have to recover (rebuild) it.

The process is the same for rebuilding to reclaim space as it is for rebuilding to repair a corrupt database. Start the program while holding down the Option key. There's a gotcha: You have to have enough free disk space for an entire 2nd copy of the database; if you don't have enough disk space, the rebuild process will SAY it's complete with no errors, but will have silently deleted as many email messages as there wasn't room for. Bad.

The other gotcha is that even if you organize your mail into folders within Entourage, those folders are still contained within the single database. It does not create extra files for them. Consequently (and in tandem with it's inability to reclaime space for deleted files) if you have a high volume of mail and attachments, the database will inflate in size. Once you get to a 2 Gb file size on that database, then Entourage crashes and the databse may not be able to be recovered.

4. wrxguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

uhhh

wow....i think i will just stay with mail? lol

5. gangst macrumors 6502a

I used to use Entourage but since I've upgrade to Tiger, I've switched to Mail, I used to like Entouraage, but the interface was slightly to crowded for my liking and Mail is a lot smoother looking and cleaner, I also find the integration with my.Mac account really helpful. I also find the Address Book more useful than it is with Entourage.
    However, Entourage is a lot more useful is you do a lot of scheduling and business work, whereas I feel that Mail is a more relaxed and would appeal more to the home user and is probably why it is a my choice of email app.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

too cluttered of an interface, the only thing i like about it is the calendar's features such as travel times

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i disagree, somehow.

mail 2.0 in Tiger plays a lot better in the business world. the entourage interface is crowded (as other posters have stated).

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a big problem with MS' design.... I had this issue frequently in Outlook, too, where doing searches became a near-useless endeavor, because I would have to go take a bathroom or coffee or chit-chat break while it worked at it, and then when I came back, I would have forgotten that I was doing a search, and then accidentally click on my inbox, to see what some new mail was about, and then have to repeat the whole process again, ad nauseam....

OTOH, has anyone used the project center feature in Entourage 04? It sounded very interesting, but then it seemed like a lot to run Entourage for that when my mail and appointments were in Apple's apps....

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I tried to use Entourage when I first got it, but then I realised that its interface was very crowded and it was pretty hard to find/do anything meaningful. Mail does the job for me, and I would be actively using iCal, but it is the summer...

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think Entourage would be a lot better if it worked with Apple's Address Book, in my opinion. And I don't really like the database thing either. It's an OKAY app, but I don't find all the features that useful. The project center only keeps track of microsoft files, like .doc and .xls files. Since I'm working with Adobe apps, I can't use the project center to keep track of those files.

Unfortunately, I pretty much have to use Entourage at work, otherwise I would probably use Mail. I'm a big fan of Address Book, and love the way all the Apple apps integrate.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Entourage is a hallmark to software design by bright idea. I believe it safe to say that the app's reason for being is to provide full MS Exchange-compatibility to MacOS X. It is a failure. It is not the kind of failure that jumps up and says "I don't work." It is the kind of failure that does not work properly, but doesn't give you a clue that anything is wrong. This is not to say that there aren't other functions in Entourage that clearly don't work properly. However, this app must be judged primarily by how it handles email. When used with my firm's Exchange server, Entourage conceals certain random messages. I know this because I setup my account in MacOS X Mail using Mail's Exchange settings. The messages that disappear with a trace in Entourage come through Mail just fine.

If you use Entourage, I urge you to setup your account in parallel on Mail. Use Mail to periodically check your messages.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

^^^ is this possible in version 1.3.11? I don't have tiger at work and if I thought I could, i would have gotten rid of Entourage already.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

More advice? Entourage vs. Mail

I've been using Entourage for years (it was my former company mail program and it just stuck), but I've been testing Mail 2 for some of my less important accounts. On the whole, I'm impressed. It seems faster than entourage (especially downloading my mail) and I like address book integration. My concern has been, however, that there have been reports that attachments sent from mail to MS clients (outlook/ outlook express) either aren't recognised or come with an additional attachment (I forgot the name of the second attachment). I'm an editor and send and receive attachments from all sorts of systems from the new to the very old, thus it is imperative that I don't have compatability issues and that attachments can be opened without difficulty by people whose computer skills are still firmly rooted in the typewriter, if you see what I mean. I have not had any problems with Entourage, but would like to move over to mail. Can anyone assuage my fears?

Yoji

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Mail has a setting to send Windows-friendly attachments. However, I have never had a problem with this on any Mac email client. For reasons that I don't entirely understand, I commonly receive split attachments when I access my email from my firm's web-based Exchange mail feature. It seems not to matter whether the message was sent by Windows or the Mac.

In some respects, Mail is more compatible with Exchange than Entourage 2004. As I stated before, Entourage losses messages with neither trace nor warning. OTOH, these same messages come through Mail just fine. The bottomline is that if you are concerned about Mail, don't be.