Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Hey guys. Just interested in knowing what you guys think about what's gonna happen with iMacs on Sept 12th? Do you think it's just gonna be an upgrade to a new processor or the addition of a 23", or do you think they have a full new design in store?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sobering said:
Hey guys. Just interested in knowing what you guys think about what's gonna happen with iMacs on Sept 12th? Do you think it's just gonna be an upgrade to a new processor or the addition of a 23", or do you think they have a full new design in store?

All of the above have been confirmed. It'll get a much faster Core 2 Duo processor and a new video card, a new, stunningly cool design and the addition of a 23" version at the top end.
Actually, none of that is true, just stirring the pot.
Is that what you were hoping for? I'd love to be in the market for a new iMac - wouldn't like to be someone who bought recently, the new ones are going to be amazing.Not really, if I had the cash I'd buy an iMac today.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Damn it I just bought one on August 29. Do you think it would be worth selling this just to get the new one?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sobering said:
Damn it I just bought one on August 29. Do you think it would be worth selling this just to get the new one?

No, it will be worth it to use the one you just bought for a few years and then sell it and buy a new one.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Heh, at least I can run OS X just like the new one will be...I'm still bummed out now.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sobering said:
Heh, at least I can run OS X just like the new one will be...I'm still bummed out now.

Why, for all we know there will not be a new iMac released soon. Have a really good read of my post. Read between the lines as it were.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
All of the above have been confirmed.

You see thats what bums me out. I was all excited, saving up my spare cash for a few months, working harder, etc. And I was all happy when I got it, I have the best iMac to date. And I knew eventually I wouldn't but really, 1 week later and there is already another newer, faster, better designed one?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you think they would add woodcrest, not a dual like mp but a single... is it possible? :confused:
i would love to see a single woodcrest and the ablity to add 4GB of ram and at least 256MB video; would love 512 but i don't think that would happen

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Chundles said:
All of the above have been confirmed. It'll get a much faster Core 2 Duo processor and a new video card, a new, stunningly cool design and the addition of a 23" version at the top end.
Actually, none of that is true, just stirring the pot.
Is that what you were hoping for? I'd love to be in the market for a new iMac - wouldn't like to be someone who bought recently, the new ones are going to be amazing.Not really, if I had the cash I'd buy an iMac today.

Welcome to the wonderful world of InvisiText™. I did it just to take the mick because I knew you were anxious. It's the age old Aussie way.

Take it back if you want, I sure as hell wouldn't - iMacs are awesome.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
puckhead193 said:
you think they would add woodcrest, not a dual like mp but a single... is it possible? :confused:
i would love to see a single woodcrest and the ablity to add 4GB of ram and at least 256MB video; would love 512 but i don't think that would happen

Woodcrest is too warm - it's a workstation/server chip. You mean Conroe - it's the desktop version of the Core 2 Duo and can only be run in single-processor configurations. Bloody quick too and cooler than Woodcrest.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Well at least thats good to read (your InvisiText :p). But in the case of new iMacs really coming out, I think I'd return this one.

Anybody know if stores allow returns for no particular reason?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Sobering said:
Well at least thats good to read (your InvisiText :p). But in the case of new iMacs really coming out, I think I'd return this one.

Anybody know if stores allow returns for no particular reason?

If you've opened it its a 10% restocking fee within 14 days (I think) and to Sobering don't be upset about buying the machine its still great and doing the job isn't it? In a few years you can upgrade to an even better machine than is being released now

Easy Rider

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
If they mac iMac's that look like cinema displays then I would so get one.

I don't care how thick the iMac is, just make it borderless so it looks like I have a nice LCD with no chin or huge border around it.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I personally think a 23" is a no brainer. With the huge gap between the Mac mini and Mac Pro, the iMac holds the middle ground, and needs a fairly full range of display of options up to 23", but don't hold your breath for 30". Of course the only other option would be a Conroe mini tower, but I think we'd be more likely to see 30" iMacs first, but you never know. The Mac mini, iPod shuffle, and 1GB iPod nano are evidence that Apple is trying to go after a broader market these days, so anything is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.