what do you think about switzerland?

Discussion in 'Community' started by superkatalog, Dec 18, 2002.

1. superkatalog macrumors regular

what do you think when you hear switzerland? only chocolate and watches? something else?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think about neutrality, high quality of life (ie, pretty wealthy). the defense systems built into the hills (assuming that's true)... skiing...

i think it's a pretty cool country. but i can't say i know much about it beyond pretty superficial stuff.

4. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

jelloshotsrule:

yes neutrality is a big issue in switzerland. there are many political disussions about. especialy the discussion in the light of the UNO-membership. our country has joined this year. as one of the last countries of this world.... but neutrality is a very relative term...
    defence system built into the hills: yes ist true. but i'm not allowed to talk about that :)

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

6. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

7. Geetar macrumors regular

When someone says "Switzerland" to me, I think about the nice folk I met there (who were Swiss-German), the rude ones (who were Swiss-Italian.......go figure) and the fact that after a year and a half of legal pressure from the UK, a certain Swiss bank still won't release the money it owes my wife.

The banks have a reputation of being so secure that they won't even give you your own money......ask the Jewish folk who are still trying after nearly 60 years to get back money left there in WW2 :(

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I actually think I am part swiss, but mostly german. Yeah, Switz.
    is a pretty blah place. You never really hear much of Switzerland,
    and not many people travel there. Kind of a mediocre place. I
    prefer Texas. :D;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Swiss bank accounts, Alps and yodelling! :D

But why are you asking?

D

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think of the Alps and the great roads for motorcycling. Also skiing and Ricola cough drops;).

11. dstorey macrumors 6502a

The banks were fine when I lived in Genevé last year, well UBS anyway. I was impressed that i withdrew 8000 chf out of the ATM in one go. Here in uk you can take 250 pound max. When i think of switzerland I think of CER where I worked and the www was invented, chocolate/knives/coo coo clocks/watches/cow bells/heidi outfits. There is a shop that sells all that junk on every corner, its so bad. I never did find my little miss swiss heidi thouh ;-) the girls are very cute though. I also think of all the cool times out in Genevé old town meeting friends of all nationalities, and how late your allowed to drink till...no 11 pm drink up bull.

12. Geetar macrumors regular

But the cost of drinking anything (coffee, OJ, beer, whatever) is enough to frighten anyone to death in the touristy areas:eek:

13. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

geetar:

in which tourist area you were?
    and yes, the drinks are expensive as anything else here in switzerland... :D

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

15. Geetar macrumors regular

My then-girlfriend (Italian, living in Lecco) and I took a train across the border into Lugano to see a bit of Switzerland.Lots of shops selling luxury goods next-door to shops selling machine-guns, if I'm not mistaken. I was glad to get out again with my credit-rating intact.

Since then, I've met a load of very pleasant Swiss-germans in Prague (!) and some people who speak Vaudois :)eek: ) so I'm expanding my Swiss-awareness as we speak.

Now,several years later, my wife (Russian) can't get her few thousand bucks out of Credit Lyonnais (Schweitz) AG in Zurich:mad:

All in all, an odd kind of a place........

16. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

The W0nderful teleph0ne system, 10veli lakes, nealli! She was Karving her intials on the m00se with the sharpened end of an interpace t00thbrush given by Svenge-her brother-in-law-an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian m0vies:"the H0t Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "the Huge M0lars of Horst Nordfink".

PowerBook G4 1ghz

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Latin, due to those people they found years ago who were still speaking Latin natively.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: what do you think about switzerland?

that they have stayed out of war for so long

maybe us americans can learn something;)

19. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I've been there a few times, and like it a lot. Very picturesque, but - yes - expensive (not nearly as bad as Norway, though!).

I do, however, like the Lonely Planet's description of Switzerland:

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Are Swiss Army Knives really a Swiss invention?

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Re: Re: what do you think about switzerland?

agreed:D

I also think of a lot of other things as well, but I'm not gonna post them here...

22. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: well

is there something wrong with your O key? or do you just not realize there is a difference between zero and the letter o?

or are you just and 31ete phr3@k? c00l h@ck3r?

23. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I know, I know!!!

Cheese.
    Chocolate (with cacao from Venezuela)
    Swis army nife.
    Clocks.
    Lost of jewish money in their banks.
    Very cold.
    Boring place (very high suicide rate because of that).
    Very small.
    Girls that doesn't shave under their harms.
    Early teen sex (I had a friend from there when I was an axchange student).
    Heidy, Petter, Granpa and fog (the dog).

I guess that is it.

24. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

that's certainly not true. switzerland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. absolutely stunning. and it's tremendously urban in places, highly educated, extremely wealthy, and technoligically advanced as far as their tremendous architecture, infrastructure, and medical technology. Their design (all inclusive disciplines) is some of finest in the world. And this is to say nothing of their tremendous artists, composers, etc....

you should go. it's a shame you feel that way about your heritage. i would feel quite proud to be swiss.

Their public restrooms even automatically clean themselves after each use! Now that's societal advancement! :)

25. Steradian macrumors 6502

???

idkew, i guess you haven't seen Monty Python and the holy grail then... o well I hope at least someone got it....

PowerBook G4 1ghz