Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I'm getting a car soon...and my parents want me to get a good name but used. My dream car is a red audi A3,but its a bit too expensive for a first car. So I've decieded to get a used car. I've narrowed it down to 3 cars:
2001 or 2003 BMW x5
2001 or 2003 BMW 325i
2003 or 2002 Audi a4
I gave some links below to the cars. But I got a few more questions:
Is it worth it? Should I skrew all this used car crap and ask for a NEW VW rabbit?
How realibe is it to get a car from a private seller?
If I were to choose from the x5 or the 325i which should I get? My mom doesnt want a x5 on our drive way because we all ready have 2 SUVs. But SUVs are safer,right?
Also, how come the 325i seems to be more expensive than the x5?

x5:http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/det...jU2JnZ0eXBlPWF1dG9zJm1rPUJNVyZtbz1YNQ--#image

2003 325i: http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/det...TYmdnR5cGU9YXV0b3MmbWs9Qk1XJm1vPTMyNWk-#image

A4 2002:http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/det...jI1NiZ2dHlwZT1hdXRvcyZtaz1BdWRpJm1vPUE0#image

Thanks!

C

CompUser

I would not get an Audi, they are cool but very unreliable. If you are concerned with the rising cost of gas, don't get the X5, and besides, from what I hear the X5s are unreliable. I would go with the BMW 3-series out of those used car options. To get make sure you are getting a good used car go to a dealer and buy one or have a mechanic take a look at a private party/used car lot.

As for the VW Rabbit, I don't really like them, and VW recently has not been doing well with reliability.

Don't get people started with the car vs suv debate. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Does it snow where you live?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I would go for the 2003 BMW x5. Would rather have that used, nice SUV over the new but small car style Rabbit.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
CompUser said:
Don't get people started with the car vs suv debate. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Does it snow where you live?

I live in florida lol

I didnt think of the whole gas issue thing with the x5 so thats goes on my list of CONS.
hmmm...I'm leaning towards the 3 seris anyways.
thanks for your opinion!

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SuperSnake2012 said:
With car prices now, you should get a vehicle that gets better than 12mpg :rolleyes:

call me stupid, but which cars gets better than 12mpg out of that list?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
SuperSnake2012 said:
With gas prices now, you should get a vehicle that gets better than 12mpg :rolleyes:
But a Toyota Camry is a soccer mom vehicle, he might as well get castrated or start wearing women's clothes. ;)

However, a new VW Golf or Jetta wouldn't be as reliable as a Nissan Altima, Camry or Accord.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
jakochampolska said:
call me stupid, but which cars gets better than 12mpg out of that list?
None, but I think he's trying to say not to get a car on that list, and get a smaller car.

I'd rather have a new VW Rabbit than the cars on that list.

Oh, and if you're not American, you can get a use A3. My friend has one from 1996.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Out of those I would go for the 3 series, but with that said I wouldn't get a bimmer because that damn iDrive drives me crazy!

C

CompUser

Actually, I would look into an Acura or Infiniti. They are nice cars, somewhat sporty, and are very reliable.

The BMW X5 does not get 12mpg, its a 3 liter V6, I would expect it to get 17 to 18mpg on average.

Another thing to consider- the BMWs and Audis most likely take premium fuel, which costs a lot more than regular. My parents cars suggest premium fuel. My dad's Discovery can handle regular, but my mom used it, it messed up the engine and she got horrible fuel economy.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Jake -

My recommendation is that you get a Subaru WRX. Not an STi, just the regular WRX.

It's a solid, reliable, fun, sporty, very stable and very safe handling car. Look for a 2003 - 2004 model, that has *not* been beaten on by a young driver.

There are several forums where you can read (don't post newbie questions before you READ, READ, READ first) and get valuable info about them.

With the money you'll save instead of overspending on a BMW, go get some *real* driver training. If you're in Florida, you could go to Atlanta and take the 2-day teen program here:
http://www.audidrivingexperience.com/programs.lasso

This will make you a much safer, more skilled driver, and is a much better thing to do than squander money on a BMW for a first car.

Incidentally, I have an Audi A3.

C

CompUser

Baron58 said:
Wrong. Less control = less safe, and you have a greater chance of killing the other person.

Well I wouldn't say thats entirely true, my grandma's DeVille handles about as well as our jeep. ;)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
As far as reliability goes, I'd recommend you get a certified used car from a dealership. It'll cost a little more but it will definitely be worth it when something goes wrong.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
killuminati said:
Out of those I would go for the 3 series, but with that said I wouldn't get a beemer because that damn iDrive drives me crazy!
Two things:
2: read the post directly above yours
1: the iDrive didn't appear in the 3 Series until the '05 model

Anyways, out of those three, I would go for the 325i, because the X5 is pointless in Floriduh* (unless you drive through the everglades, in which case you should get a fan boat), and the aforementioned lack of reliability of the A4 (which might not end up being a problem).
That said, I wish my parents were able to buy me a $24k car. I'm having trouble finding a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS for a reasonable price (i.e., not higher than the listed blue book value for excellent condition :rolleyes: )

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Sun Baked said:
But a Toyota Camry is a soccer mom vehicle, he might as well get castrated or start wearing women's clothes. ;)

Dude! Have you seen the new Camry's? They are Sweet! Not to mention the performance boost from previous models and ofcourse the reliability. Previous Camry's, I'll agree are TOTALLY soccer mom vehicles BUT these new models are worth a second look.

~e

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
325i.

My mom had one for like 4 months but sold it 'cause she didn't like the color white :rolleyes:

EDIT: its not 'beemer' either. 'beemer' refers to their motorcycles. 'bimmer' refers to their cars. bmw is what they should be called.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I've come to save you....

111204910_3dbafd4389_m.jpg

Look no further. Now go.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
markkk! said:
EDIT: its not 'beemer' either. 'beemer' refers to their motorcycles. 'bimmer' refers to their cars. bmw is what they should be called.

It depends where you live actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.