What do you think... I say "WANKER"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madamimadam, Feb 26, 2002.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Taken from Yahoo News

"Moore's Law, a high-tech assumption that the speed of semiconductors doubles every 18 months, should continue unbroken for another 15 years or so, said Intel Corp. Chief Executive Craig Barrett.
    He noted new technologies following the path of Moore's Law would lay the foundation for a coming upturn in the beleaguered chip industry. "We have to innovate our way out of this recession," said Mr. Barrett at the Intel (INTC) Developers Forum.
    Mr. Barrett pointed to four technologies he said should help reignite consumer and business interest in personal computers and high-tech products.

Wireless computing, Web services, online security and broadband connections onto the Internet should bring out buyers."

Now I am SURE I have heard all that stuff said before but I just can't pick who he might have RIPPED IT OFF.

"Mr. Barrett said Intel remains on schedule to open its second 300-mm chip making plant by the middle of the year. The plant, in Albuquerque , N.M., uses larger, 12-inch-diameter silicon wafers to squeeze more semiconductors on a slab of silicon and reduce production costs by 30%. The company has just opened a similar plant in Oregon .

He said he looks forward to the next step -- 18-inch wafers, which will offer similar cost savings. Typically, the industry moves to a new, larger wafer once a decade."

What is the size of a PPC chip, 12 and 18" sounds HUGE?

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

18" disc of silicon.

From which 32 or so chips are cut.

Other than that: Yes.

Technical term here on the west coast of the USA for such users is "dumbass".

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

20 or so years from now this wont matter. quantum computing will be the standard.

4. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Well, that is great... how about I just sit back for 20 years and then get back into computers.
    :rolleyes:

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im just messing around here... i mean this propbably will be true but I was just playing around with the post here... i did not mean to bother you. sorry about that. we cool? cool! i did not mean to illegitimize your post ..so sorry.:)

6. davidc2182 macrumors regular

either quantum computers or???

there could be quantum computer, fiberoptic systems, or biological computers, which would be the fastest choice. But we need to stay away from Artificial intelligence, the minute we get a sentient supercomputer, the human race is screwed, ala Hal, and the computer from the terminator series, oh and lets not forget the matrix!

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yes thats a real possibility...ai....however i dont think it will happen....i got a real bad feeling about us screwing ourselves over without computers.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

haha....madamimadamtimallen said "wanker"....thats a funny word. i get a kick outa hearing that.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I get even more of a kick out of hearing John Cleese saying "Wanklerotary engine." :D

10. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

umm.. I don't get it? Does he say the words in a particularly amusing way? Or do you find it redundant to say Wankle Rotary Engine as opposed to just Wankle Engine or Rotary Engine? There are other designs for rotary engines, though, so I think Wankle Rotary Engine is really the most precise. And while I do not know of any other sort of engine Wankle might have designed, I have to assume he didn't pull that amazing design out of his hat on the first go round.. so there were probably other Wankle engines besides the rotary design that is so famous.

Or am I missing something?

11. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I'll give you a hint... considering the previous 2 posts I think he was talking about wank. WANKle, the WANKer WANKs his Rotary Engine.

12. jvaska macrumors 6502

this is fun and smart and all...

but what is quantum computing? is this a real thing? i'm dying to know more...

well...i'm not really dying except for the fact that my cells are continually regenerating themselves...i'm dying like this...

but i am curious as heck about what that means...jv

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

quantum computing...

ill try it...i know there are a lot other people on here who know more about it and who im sure can explain it better...but ill try...

Today all computers are bound to Moores Law (sp?) which says that computers double in performance every 18 months or so, i believe. Going that rate, which we are on, computers performance (speed) will eventually come to a plateu... or a dead end...in which it cant get any faster or better or whatever...(oh im sounding good now ..huh). After this many people think that quantum computing will solve this problem. This is where computer performance...speed..etc... will all funtion on a quantum level. By this... one could do a simple mathmatical task not by way of current computer hardware...chips...etc.... but simply by the power and speed on an atom. they say that in 20 years silcon valley would be no more because of quatum computing...that to me sounds epic.

i hope that sounded right. i tried.

14. jvaska macrumors 6502

hahahahaha!!!

the way you explain that...i had one image flashing in my head...seriously...the microsoft main entrance in redmond...

maybe they discovered it many years ago and didn't tell anybody...they got MASSIVE R&D going on over there, you know...

thanks kross...i do understand now...jv

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Quantum machines.

As cool as they sound........not practical. Quantum machines are by their very nature too vulnerable to ambient magnetic fields, changes in current, jostling of just a few nanometres per second, etc, etc. Quantum machines would also be FREAKISHLY EXPENSIVE. This is technology that makes Cray's nitrogen-bathed behemoths look both cheap and portable by comparison.

A better avenue for processor design light based computing. this can get down to no moving parts, high speed and high durability. LASER LED's are cheap and technology is already in place to build most of the core components to run on light.

The issue of sentient machines taking over the world is painfully naive sci-fi paranoia. Computers are moving away from embedded, building size super computers that plug into everything via miles of fibre. Most computer design is focussed on building the digital equivalent of the stable of domesticated animals we once utilized for EVERYTHING. If we see AI it will be one specialized program or another. A Falcon or Dog or Cow to carry the metaphor. AI does not mean vast, godlike intelligence it means that behavioral sets and learning are involved. Software is already commonly using basic AI strategies: Cookies, preferences, etc. All of these things are not "true" AI, but they do express adaptive programming.

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well i do believe we will one day come to a point where quantum computing will be the norm and it will be cheap. but thats just me.

17. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

To give you a "real" answer, quantum computing working on the basis of everything, as was KIND of pointed out, atoms. To make a VERY simple comparison that is not 100% correct but you get the idea of what is going on, think of transistors on a processor in lines going on and off to = 1 and 0. Then exchange those transistors for atoms and spin them clockwise or anti-clockwise and you have the basis for how quantum computing works.

Then you can imagine the expandability of something like that, atoms, being the smallest thing in our world, can not be seen even by the strongest microscopes so, basically, you can have a lot of them moving in a VERY small space.... you just have to know what to do with them.
    :)

18. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

sure it is the future of computer?

how can you be sure if you have noo idea of what it is how it would work?

It is not about atoms, or about the really tiny particles/waves that make light, but about doing your computing in different dimensions at the same time. Because there are antiparticles, there are an infinite number of universes, you can do your computing in an infinite number of universes. So you can have an infinit number of computations happening simultaneously.
    Of course there are problems, check out Heisenberg's principle of uncertainty, where just trying to detect something changes it . . .
    "is that really my data?" or is it the ant-data?
    for now, computer are and or will soon be vastly more powerful than the average user needs. We have what? dual 1000mhz vs 20mhz ten years ago. Most people are using computers for the same things. But now the also play music and watch movies, really pressing necesseties, I think you might get my point.
    Now we are in the strange position where people are doing big science and dumb housekeeping on the same product.

19. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: sure it is the future of computer?

**Cricket Noise**

20. Choppaface macrumors 65816

patience. it's a technology invented so long ago, but has yet to be applied by computer users :D :D

21. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

technology

quantum science or technology?

where is quantum technology in use?

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: technology

quantum computing is quantum science and techonology in computing.

23. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

can anyone point out any device (technology) that does anything with quantum science? I don't think so. At this point it is only theory, not technology, that is my point.

so the difference between science and technology is if you have a device to do something, including test your theory.