What do you think, iPod Wannabe.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iJon, Nov 1, 2002.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

One of my stupid pc friends telling my iPod sucks and was telling me about this. From what i looked at it seems pretty good. I dont think it would be as good as my iPod though. I think the best part about the iPod over everything else is the scroll and user interface. The best part about the whole specs on that thing is that it says it can hold up to 8000 songs, at 80kbps. haha that is such bad quality. just wanted to see what the other mac users out here thought about this new product.

iJon

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something....but what exactly is this iPod wannabe?

3. zed macrumors 6502

4. job macrumors 68040

job

5. kperry8 macrumors newbie

I think he was referring to this new gizmo from Creative:

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox_zen/

Personally, I don't see what's so hot about it. It's 20 gigs, just like the iPod, about the same size, but has no scroll wheel, and a puny screen.

Sure, it's got some handy playlist capabilties, but big whoop. Once I set mine up on my iBook, I never need to change them.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

I must admit, the brushed metal finish of the Nomad certainly beats the iPod's white plastic...

But then again, think of the scratches! :eek:

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

iPods are great, but iTunes makes it even better - so until I see and use the software that comes with the nomad system I'm not going to be sold on this one. Here's a look at the software screen shots from the Nomad site - not very promising, eh?

D

Attached Files:

8. vniow macrumors G4

Ha, no kidding.
    I've got a v2 version of that software (came with my sound card) and it's a piece of sh*t. I'm so glad XP comes with the drivers pre-installed for the card so I don't have to deal wih that program.
    Blah.

9. nixd2001 macrumors regular

The Creative design looks like it's aimed at a 5-10 year age group. It might work quite well at that age group. But they've only got pester buying power.

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well I'm not even sure that the nomad is what iJon was talking about, he never really cleared that one up, but I don't care how great a new mp3 player is, it would never justify saying the iPod "sucks." If the Nomad is the mp3 player though I don't think it's too much of a contender, I really dislike the metal look of it and the user interface is kind of lacking, especially if all you have is those three buttons on the side. And the software looks like ****. To each their own I guess, but I'm amazed that as much as some people hate apple computers they still can't come out and say how great the iPod is, just admit it people you know it's true.;)

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I have one of the original Nomad Jukeboxes, and under OS X it uses...iTunes!

The PlayCenter software for the PC is total crap, though.

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

damn, im sorry. i did this at school and must have been distracted. so sorry guys. didnt mean to confuse you. but yes i am talking about that new creative thing. sorry for no link. just wanted to see some opinions. sorry again.
    http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_Zen/

iJon

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

looks OK. if it's alot cheaper than an iPod i would think about buying one.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's $349.99.

15. daniel77 macrumors 6502

16. Inhale420 macrumors regular

17. Inhale420 macrumors regular

this actually looks ok, but i would NEVER buy anything from creative (including their crappy soundcards). if you're interested, you should wait for some reviews of the product.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

uhh. guys. 350.... that's a steal. this hot girl even comes with some sort of ipod type mp3 player!

mmm zen. a hot name for a hot girl. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

don't be fooled by their website about it being the smallest... It's nearly twice as thick, and taller and wider than the iPod. It also weighs twice as much... besides, the iPod is upgradeable!

20. bidge macrumors 6502

Just about to right what G4Scott did, oh well I can confirm it but also to get hteradio features and stuff you have to buy an extra remote which makes the whole thing really bad.

EDIT: Notice in the picture with the girl she's holding it away so that her body is closer to the camera than the thing, making it look smaller than it is, and it already looks chunky in that picture.

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Why does everyone keep referring to Toshiba's MP3 player as an iPod ripoff. Doesn't Toshiba make the HD thats in the iPod?

22. Inhale420 macrumors regular

the problem with the toshiba is that you use special software to upload to the player. this software converts the mp3s into a proprietary format. this whole process can take up to a half an hour when you're filling up the disk. if you load mp3's directly to the drive, they won't play!

23. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

last time i checked creative made the best sound cards. they are the only people with eax hd technology. thats why i have my creative audigy 2 and games sound so much better. just my 2 cents though.

iJon

24. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Anybody look at the best buy ad in the paper today (11/03). It has a big ad for msn 8. take a look at whats in the guys hand. and ipod. it gets better. Look what is on the guys comptuer screen which is a pc. its itunes. ah i love it when these advertising companys put mac screens on pc computer for pc companies. so funny. thought i would point that out.

iJon

25. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

For the record, Creative is notorious in the audio world for making the absolute WORST JUNK there is. No one in their right mind would ever do professional audio work using a Creative card. Perhaps they're good for games though, I donno... but for pro audio, pure junk.